Glen Campbell Documentary - "I'll be me"

Started by Smash, August 15, 2016, 04:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

I've had "Meet Glen Campbell" and "Ghost on the Canvas" on my phone for ages now. Just noticed this this documentary covering Glenn's farewell tour and his diagnosis of Alzheimers show up on Netflix.

It's an emotional watch - even more so for anyone touched by the disease (my mum is suffering). The support of his family and friends and the challenges of touring over 2 years as his memory deteriorates are both immense.

One thing I am ashamed to admit - prior to watching this and seeing historical clips and footage I had absolutely no idea what a phenomenal guitarist Glenn was or his history as a session player. Even with Alzheimers advancing he still plays some wicked solos. Incredible.

Definitely worth a watch if you get the chance.

PS what is the strat he's playing with the split pickups?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Campbell

A914Man

Alzheimer's has been an issue on my Mom's side of my family, her Mom, Sister as well as her had problems with this debilitating disease.  I'm praying that I got my Dad's gene as far as this goes.

Glen Campbell is so underrated as a guitar player.  We watched that same documentary with amazement and sorrow.
After only 37 years, I'm almost as good as I thought I was when I was 21

Pete1959

+1

Glen Campbell is a great guitar player and sorry to hear the sad news.

I can recall back in the late 60's seeing him play on TV as well as some live clips.
Memories of learning "Galveston" on my acoustic back then as a 10 year old and buying the 45 to try to figure out the chords.

Elantric

QuotePS what is the strat he's playing with the split pickups?

G&L Comanche

whippinpost91850

That was awesome. Thanks I haven't seen it in a long time

Tek

Really inspiring and very courageous. I thought it was great. (I had to keep stopping it so my wife could wipe away the tears... OK... me too). Even in his most deteriorated state, he could tear up a guitar!

admin

Director Gil Baker: "On day two of production, Jimmie Haskell (Ricky Nelson's producer) told me that Glen Campbell played Ricky's acoustic guitar parts, sang harmony and actually doubled Ricky's lead vocal on tracks like Hello Mary Lou."

"According to Jimmie, Ricky's dad Ozzie (of Ozzie & Harriet fame, and a real force in Hollywood) didn't want the public knowing Ricky needed help in the studio. I had no reason to doubt anything Jimmie said."

"The photo below shows Glen, Ricky and James Burton in 1960. Months later, all three would begin recording Nelson's best album, Rick Is 21, which included Hello Mary Lou, Travelin' Man, Stars Fell on Alabama, My One Desire and Everybody But Me."

"Glen was uncredited on those tracks, per Ozzie's order. Nelson and Burton are in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Glen isn't. And that's just wrong."

"During two full days I spent with him, both in and out of the studio, Glen never mentioned his sessions with Ricky, the Mamas & Papas and other acts he recorded with. Was he honoring promises of silence to Nelson, "Papa" John Phillips et al? Maybe."

"If playing on Hello Mary Lou, Be My Baby, You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling, Help Me Rhonda, Viva Las Vegas, California Dreamin' and a hundred other classics doesn't put you in a Rock & Roll HoF - what will?"

NOTE This rare photo of Glen, James and Rick is from Sheree Homer's beautifully written, well researched book on Rick Nelson, which is available on Amazon.

https://www.facebook.com/SESSIONMEN1/?hc_ref=ARRiG58iXwVPLZXlIwZ9T4xmXZOOCYH-hvb336j9RvEUtZBkazNdXIr1tkZdg7lTIWY&fref=nf&pnref=story

Kevin M

I'm ashamed to admit that I had no idea what an accomplished guitarist he was. 

naritos

I think that Glen Campbell fantastic guitarist as well, nice topic

Elantric

admin

Smash

Sat and watched that solo reel. Then I watched it again. Helluva player.