Solve USB Audio Noise when USB cable is connected

Started by jon_bondy, February 23, 2008, 11:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

headbush

Hey everybody!

I have a very annoying problem that makes GR-55 unusable for midi program changes through the USB!!! I've read few topics about hiss and hum coming out of the Guitar Out when connected to computer  via USB cable but my noise is like a generated high-pitched note around B on the 19th fret on the first guitar string... it is comming only from the guitar OUT and it gets really loud when I use the distortion in my chain after the Guitar Out. When I disconnect the USB cable - no noise at all!!! But I need to use the USB MIDI function! If someone knows anything about it , please help!!!

Thank you!!!

gumtown

Ground loop problem, one option is to find a USB ground isolation device, or use the 5 pin midi ports of the GR-55, as they provide ground isolation.
Another solution is to isolate the guitar out with a D.I. box
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

headbush

Thank  you , gumtown!

I tried the DI solution but it seems it didn't change anything, I put the DI between the Sound card and the Amplifier and it just made things absolutely noise free - but when I use the USB Cable it's the same :)

I will check the USB Ground Isolation solution... that's really helpful

iamroberty

I picked up a GR-55 last week to use in my home recording studio and things are going fairly well so far, mostly thanks to this site, but I have run into a problem.  I am running the stereo line outs from the GR-55 to the stereo line ins on my line6 KB37 and it sounds great.  I have a midi-usb converter that I am using to send midi direct to my plugins in Ableton but when I plug in the GR-55s USB so I can play with patches in FloorBoard I can hear the high pitched data transfer of the USB coming through the line outs.  It goes away when I unplug the USB but I would like to be able to edit my patches during recording sessions.  Do I have to use the USB to connect to the GR-55 with FloorBoard or can I connect through my USB midi?  Does anyone else get this noise?  I swapped out my USB cable but it didn't seem to make a difference.  Is there any way to get it to go away?

gumtown

The line outs and the USB together are causing a ground loop,
for minimal noise and no ground loop it is best to use the midi ports of the GR-55 for the GR-55FloorBoard editor,
it still works the same via midi.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

iamroberty

Thanks for the response!  I love your software.  So I am having an issue getting FloorBoard to connect to my gr55 without having it plugged into the usb.  I get an error every time that says "Midi: InMM: OpenPort error creating Windows MM MIDI output port."  Any advice?

Elantric

QuoteI get an error every time that says "Midi: InMM: OpenPort error creating Windows MM MIDI output port."  Any advice?

That might be the default Windows Media MIDI/Ringtone soft player
Also occurs if you see "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" - Do not select that!

You will need a  5 pin MIDI Hardware interface to connect to GR-55

Recommended USB <> MIDI 5 pin Interface cables are listed here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8393.0

Read more about Ground loop noise here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2078.0

10k HZ whine from the switching power supplies  employed in computers when a Ground Loop is present.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12033.msg87222#msg87222

gumtown

Open the "Preferences > Midi/USB" menu and select the type of midi interface being used.
The GR-55 USB is also 'seen' as a midi interface device.
If a different USB port is used from the previous session, the midi device will need to be selected again as the GR-55 USB midi driver sees it as a different device (usually with a slightly different name with a 2 or 3 after 'GR-55' - typically a windows issue).

When you say the editor 'won't connect' without the GR-55 USB connected, I assume you are using another midi device adapter,
and that device is selected in the editor preferences menu.

HINT: the software selects the midi device from a list menu, not by name, but by the position number in the list.
If another midi device has been removed while in the same editor session, the software may lose connectivity.

Wallbagner123

Hi there,
I been having a very similar problem when connecting the Usb cable from my laptop into my roland Br-800, i could hear all sorts of sounds comming from my laptop until i decided to unplug the power supply charging the laptop's battery.
So i decided to isolate the ground pin ( round Pin) from the ac power bar and  BINGO!!  no more interference, so i realized the the problem was comming from the lousy switching power supply of my laptop.

most laptop chargers have a 2 prong keyed plug, mine has a ground pin, so this is my 2 cents worth for you guy's , i thaught i'd share this .

Cheers
;)

Elantric

QuoteI been having a very similar problem when connecting the Usb cable from my laptop into my roland Br-800, i could hear all sorts of sounds comming from my laptop until i decided to unplug the power supply charging the laptop's battery.
So i decided to isolate the ground pin ( round Pin) from the ac power bar and  BINGO!!  no more interference, so i realized the the problem was comming from the lousy switching power supply of my laptop.

most laptop chargers have a 2 prong keyed plug, mine has a ground pin, so this is my 2 cents worth for you guy's , i thaught i'd share this .

I do the same

More details here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=367.msg1292#msg1292

also

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161448039898?lpid=82&chn=ps

Full speed USB 2.0 isolator with build in power transfer 2

and

http://andybrown.me.uk/2015/07/24/usb-filtering/

Elantric

http://www.aqvox.de/usb-power_en.html

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/26127-usb-disruptor/?page=2

AQVOX USB Low-Noise Power Supply     (VAT policy for non EU countries >>)
https://www.thomannmusic.com/aqvox_usb_low_noise_power_supply.htm
Socket male/female USB Type-B,  USB Type-A, USB  3.0 Type-A

for USA/ Canada/ Japan/ Taiwan -  Mains Voltage 110-120V
including 120V to 220V AC step-up converter

Shipping costs for one unit to all countries is 17,00 EUR
(because of extra weight of the step-up converter shipping costs are 5 EUR more)

Attention! The power supply does not solve ground loop problems. Strong 50/60 Hz ground loup humm is not being eliminated.
The USB3.0 Type-A adaptor ist downward compatible wit USB2.0.
USB2.0 devices are fully functioning at the USB3.0 adaptor.

Input Voltage AC 140-260 V
Output Voltage DC 5 V/1 A

Fully compatible with all USB powered USB devices.

REVIEWS

• Review of AQVOX USB Low-Noise Power Supply: "gentlemanaudiophile.blogspot.de" (link opens new window)

• HiFi World UK: "Religious Conversion" (link opens new window)

• HiFi World UK: "USB-to-S/PDIF Convertors - Halide Bridge" (link opens new window)

• Audiocircle Online: "AQVOX USB Power Supply for DACs" (link opens new window)

• HD Fever France (link opens new window)

USB socket male/female: Type-B,  Type-A or USB 3.0 Type-A

The USB3.0 Type-A adaptor ist downward compatible wit USB2.0.
USB2.0 devices are fully functioning at the USB3.0 adaptor.

Compatibility List

NOT compatible
For the following devices our USB-power supply brings no sound improvement because the USB-chip is self powered (powered from the DAC itself)

Here the USB-chips are powered from the DAC´s internal powersupply. The 5V from the computer are not connected to the DAC, and as they are not connected, no "evil-computer-power" can affect or alter the USB-datalines or the DACs electronics. But AQVOX USB-cables will improve the DAC´s sonic performance.
We work on the incompatibility list...

Ayre QB9
Benchmark DAC1 new Generation
Arcus rDAC
Nortstar 192/24
Antelope Audio ZODIAC
T&A DAC8 - USB-Chip Tenor TE8802L is internally powered
Weiss
Arcam rDAC
Eastern Electric Mini Max & MiniMax DAC Plus
Musical Fidelity V - DAC II
Chord Qute HD
Audiolab 8200 CDQ and all other Audiolab devices with USB
Micromega myDAC
Wired4sound W4S DAC2 DSD

Compatible devices
USB-DACs , and other USB audio devices - this list is not complete, the market is simply to big.
100% compatible are all USB-devices without own powersupply.
But with many devices with external or integrated powersupply, the USB-chips inside are still powered from the computers USB-5 Volts.
!!! ALL USB-Devices without own power supply are GENERALLY compatible !!!

nearly all USB audio devices get a substancial sound improvement

Digital/Digital Converter - DDC - USB to SPDif (COAX/TOS/BNC)
AQVOX - myDDC 44.1-192/24 USB2 asynchr. with ASIO
AQVOX - myDDC SE (special edition) 44.1-192/24 USB2 asynchr. with ASIO
Anedio U2 SPDIF Converter
April Music Stello U2 24/96 USB Link
April Music Stello U3 24/192 USB Link
Audiophilleo 1 & 2
Bel Canto USB Link
Bel Canto mLink
Bel Canto uLink (NOT Bel Canto REFLink)
Berkeley Audio Designs Alpha USB
Bravo USB to S/PDIF Converter
Channel Islands Audio Transient MKII USB Converter (without 5V PS)
Firestone Audio SPDIF converter
HALIDE Design Bridge
Lindemann DDC - 192 + 96 USB
M2Tech - HiFace ONE und HiFace TWO 192/24 USB
Musical Fidelity V-link I & V-link II + V-Link 192 ( ja, wie alle voll USB-versorgten Geräte, kompatibel ! )
Resonessence Labs Concero
Sonicweld Diverter HR
SOtM dx-USB HD
Soulution 590 USB converter
Stahl-Tek A.B.C.
Wavelength Audio Wavelink HS
STELLO U2 + U3
Wyred 4 Sound µLink USB/Spdif converter

Digital to Analog Converters DACs + USB Audio Interfaces
AQVOX USB2DA MKI
AQVOX myMiniDAC 44.1-192/24 USB2 asynchr. with ASIO
AQVOX myMiniDAC SE (special edition) 44.1-192/24 USB2 asynchr. with ASIO
Abbingdon Music Research Digital Processor 777
Aesthetix Romulus Transport/ DAC
Aesthetix Pandora DAC
Anedio D2 DAC
Apogee Mini-DAC + DUET 2
APRIL Music Stello U3 192/24 USB LINK
April Music Eximus DP1
ATOLL DAC 100
Audionet ART G2 + G3 ( CD Player with USB input )
Audio Research ARC DAC & DAC 8
AURALiC ARK MX+ DAC ("ActiveUSB" - Custom AURALiC Drivers)
AURALiC Vega DSD DAC ("ActiveUSB" - Custom AURALiC Drivers)
AVID PRO TOOLS 9 +10 MBOX MINI
Bel Canto DACs USB Link
Bel Canto USB Link - versorgt vom USB-BUS
Bel Canto DAC 2.5 nur der USB-Chip wird vom Cpomputer versorgt
Benchmark DAC1 - erste USB Serien
Benchmark DAC2 HGC USB
Beresford USB DAC TC-7520
Bricasti Designs M1 USB DAC
Bryston BDA-1
Bryston BDA-2
Burson Audio DA-160
Burson Audio Conductor
Cakewalk UA-25EX CW USB Audio Interface
Calyx Femto DAC
Calyx DAC 24/192
Cambridge Audio DAC Magic
Cambridge Audio DAC Magic Plus
CEC DA53
Centrance USB Devices
Chord QBD76 (nicht Chord Cute HD)
dB Audio Labs Tranquility SE DAC
Devilsound DAC
Digidesign MBox 2 mini
Edirol UA1A USB Powered Audio Interface
E-MU 0204 + 0404
EMM Labs DAC2X
ESI Dr. DAC nano
Firestone Audio Fubar II + III
FOCUSRITE SAFFIRE 6 USB + SCARLETT 2I2
Hegel Hd2
HOTaudio Extasy USB DAC
HRT Music Streamer (all USB-Bus Powered Models) auch der HRT HD
IBUKI Musica USB DACs + AMPs
Jolida Glass FX DAC I / II / III
Jolida Fusion DAC / Transport
Kingrex USB DACs + AMPs
Korg DS-DAC-10
Lindemann DAC 24-192
Lindemann 825 HD Disc Player
Marantz NA7004 Network Audio Player/DAC
Matrix Audio X-Sabre DAC
Maverick Audio - DAC TubeMagic D1 & D2
M-Audio Fast Track USB & Fast Track C400 & C600
Meitner Audio MA-1 DAC
Meridian Explorer
Musical Fidelity V-DAC (Nicht der V-DAC II )
Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
NATIVE INSTRUMENTS KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 + TRAKTOR AUDIO 10
Northstar USB DAC 32 Essensio 192 etc.. viele USB Modelle
NuForce Icon 1+2 HD HDP uDAC-2/ uDAC2-HP
PRESONUS AUDIOBOX 22VSL + AUDIOBOX USB
Pro-ject USB Box
PROPELLERHEAD BALANCE
PS Audio DAC III
Resonessence Labs Herus DAC
REGA DAC
RME Babyface
Schiit BiFrost
Schiit USB USB-Geräte
Silverstone USB DAC
SimAudio Moon 300D
Sound Devices USB Pre 2
Slim Devices Squeeze Box
TEAC DAC H01
Logitech Squeeze Box Touch
TASCAM US 122L + 122 MKII + 144L + 144 MKII (all USB-Bus Powered Models)
Totaldac D1 REFERENCE D1 REFERENCE A1 USB http://www.totaldac.com/index.htm
Trends Audio DAC
Yellowtec PUC2

More examples of devices who gain performance with optimum USB-power quality
- external USB hard drives
- external CD/DVD drives
- Squeezebox Classic + Touch (sehr gute Klangverbesserung ! )
- ONKYO NDS1 iPod Dock
- CD-Players and Amps with USB input
- iPod - iPhone Docking stations

Elantric

admin

A ) use a USB galvanic  Isolator that supports USB 2.0 @ 480mbps
https://hifimediy.com/high-speed-usb-isolator-480Mbps

v2.0 available now! We made some changes to support more DACs, as some DACs didn't work with v1.

The High-Speed isolator provides galvanic isolation between the USB host and device and protects the device from power shocks and avoid ground loops that can be very troublesome in audio. Our original Hifimediy USB Isolator has been very popular since it was launched in 2013, but the drawback is that it doesn't work with all USB devices. The new High-Speed Isolator works with many more devices and provides a long awaited solution to ground loop noises for users of sound cards like Focusrite, Steinberg and many more.

If you have tried our USB isolator in the past and found it wasn't compatible with your equipment, then there is a very good chance that the new High-Speed isolator will work. It supports all USB transfer modes, Low (1.5Mbps), Full (12Mbps) and Hi-speed (480Mbps). Hi-Speed 480Mbps are required by DACs that support higher than 96kHz/24bit sample rates, and also multi channel DACs.
The new isolator also provides more power, 400mA to the connected device, vs 200mA from the other USB isolator.

Specifications
Supports 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1 USB ports
Supports Low (1.5Mbps), Full (12Mbps) and Hi-speed (480Mbps) mode by automatic detection
Supports audio and other devices including high resolution 384kHz and DSD DACs, USB midi devices, USB mixers, USB microphones
Provides 400mA to connected USB device
No driver required, no settings to configure
Self powered, no external power needed
Signal isolation: 3000V
Voltage isolation: 1000V
Voltage Isolation 1kV
Size: 55x35mm + cable 10cm

FAQ

What is the difference from the cheaper USB isolator?
There are two main differences:

The new High-Speed isolator supports USB Hi-Speed 480Mbps mode, required by many audio devices.
it can provide double the power to your device (400mA vs 200mA).
Do I need the High-Speed isolator, or can I use the other cheaper one?
If you have a two channel DAC that supports not more than 96kHz/24bit then the non High-Speed one is likely to work if it doesn't require too much power. If it has mic preamp, phantom power or is a bigger type sound card then it might to require more than 200mA power and the High-Speed isolator is required.

Will the High-Speed isolator work with my audio or other USB device?
It probably will.

Does it require a driver or special setting?
No. Similar to a USB hub, the isolator is "transparent" to the computer and doesn't require any driver or configuration in settings.

Does it support USB 3.0 and 3.1?
Yes it works with USB 3.X ports. It will max out at 480Mbps, meaning if you connect a USB3.0 hard drive you will not get transfers at 5Gbps speeds. Audio devices doesn't need more than 480Mbps, so it will be sufficient. Most devices that require USB galvanic isolation doesn't require 5gbps.

Does it support asynchronous USB?
Yes it supports all USB types, the isolator doesn't care, it just passed on the data to your computer.

Will it improve the sound quality from my DAC?
It depends. If you are experiencing noise problems, then it will probably remove or reduce those if they are caused by a ground loop. The noise could also be caused by other factors, like the microphone or preamp itself (some gear are noisy!), the isolator will not help with that. It can also clear up the sound from ground issues that is not so apparent, creating a clearer background in the audio. If your computer has a good quality USB DC supply then the isolator might not further improve the sound quality. You're welcome to give it a try and send it back for a full refund if it doesn't help with your unique situation. You can also contact us if in doubt.

Will it fix the noise I'm getting from my sound card/microphone/midi keyboard/other device?
It will fix noises that are caused by ground loops, often presented as whining, buzz or loud shh noises. As long as the problem is not caused by the microphones/preamps itself (some microphones are noisy!) then it's very likely to fix the problem. You're welcome to give it a try and send it back for a full refund if it doesn't help with your unique situation.

admin

https://hifimediy.com/news/solving-noise-and-ground-loop-issues-with-usb-isolation

Ground loops can be a problem when using USB audio devices. It generally happens when they are more than one ground path between two devices. This can result in hum, whining noises or artefacts. The ground shared with the computer is also often quite "dirty" as it is shared with the computers circuitry, processor and possibly also other devices in your house. It can be of great benefit to break the connection to the noisy ground and create a new separate ground.

This can be done with a usb isolation chip such as the adum4160 from Analog Devices.
This chip will create a new ground reference on the device side which will break any ground loop and remove the noisy ground.
The adum4160 chip is UL rated for 5000V isolation for 1 minute (UL 1577) and will also protect your devices from electrical shocks and damage from static electricity.

The device side needs to be powered separately. It can be done by supplying external power or power can be taken from the USB rail using a DC DC converter, as we have done with in our usb isolator. The DC is further smoothened with a LC filter.

https://hifimediy.com/usb-dac2

Our DAC 2 (UAE23+) includeds the adum4160 chip inside the device to have the DAC always isolated from USB hub ground. This DAC always needs to be supplied external power to function. The benefit of this is that a good quality  power supply can be connected and the USB power will not be used at all.

In listening tests the usb isolation have proven to significantly increase the sound quality to connected audio devices.

The usb isolation is "transparent" from the computer. You dont need any drivers or special settings on your computer for it to work. Just plug it in and connect your device.

Limitations
There is a couple of limitation you should be aware of. First, the adum4160 chip support USB "Full Speed" 12Mbps but not "High Speed" 480Mps. This means that DACs accepting up to 96/24 sample rates will work. However if you have a dac that support 192kHz (or higher) sample rates, then it will not work as USB "High speed" is required for anything above 96/24. Note - there is some confusion regarding the use of "USB 2.0" vs "High" and "Full" speeds. USB 2.0 refers to the standard (released in 2000) and supports both Low, Full and High speed. USB 3.0 (released April 2008) additionally supports "SuperSpeed" but still supports low, full and high transfer speeds. So even if your device says it supports USB 3.0 or 2.0 it will work if it runs on Full speed (12Mbps) which is the case for all dacs that support max 96/24.

Second, our usb isolator only provides 200mA of power to power your device. This is sufficient for many devices, but there are DACs and sound cards that will require closer to 500mA which is the max output a normal USB port can deliver. To give you an idea of power consumption we can inform that our Tiny dac requires only 30mA (!).

Adum4160 does accept both Low and Full speed devices, but a setting needs to be changed to select Low speed. Our usb device is factory set to support Full speed devices only, this means that low speed devices like USB mouse, keyboards will not work without modification.

With some computers it will no wake up from sleep by itself, meaning you have to unplug and plug it back in.
Tags: usb isolation ground loop noise

more
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/high-speed-usb-isolator/

admin

iDefender3.0 USB Ground Loop Eliminator

Designed to Reduce Noise from USB Power, USB 3.0 Connectivity, Backward-Compatible with USB 2.0. Reduce the noise caused by USB ground loops with the iFi Audio iDefender3.0 USB Power Noise Suppressor. It is designed for use with DACs for breaking the ground connection while enabling normal handshake operation. It features a USB 3.0 input and output plus a micro-USB connector for connecting a 5 VDC power supply.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N3XKOLG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A17MC6HOH9AVE6&psc=1

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/120486-fs-ifi-audio-usb-idefender30-usb-30-ground-loop-breaker/

--

https://support.saleae.com/hc/en-us/articles/208667616-Suggestions-for-Electrical-Isolation

Suggestions for Electrical Isolation
Mark Garrison
Thursday at 12:34
Follow
None of the Saleae devices electrically isolate the ground of the device under test from the host PC's USB ports. For most applications, this merely requires extra care from the user to prevent accidental ground loop short circuits. However, there are applications where electrical isolation between the device under test and the host PC is absolutely required.

In these cases, we recommend using some kind of electrical isolator. The seemingly easiest way to isolate the product is to isolate the USB connection. Unfortunately, almost all of the USB isolators currently on the market only support low-speed USB and full-speed USB. Our products require high-speed USB to operate. That is especially confusing because they are advertised as "USB 2.0 isolators"; however, USB high speed is not required to be considered USB 2.0.

There is one USB 2.0 high-speed isolator on the market:

http://intona.eu/en/products

We've tested it here, and it works very well. Unfortunately, there is one limitation. It can only provide 300mA of current to the downstream port, which is less than the standard 500mA from USB 2.0 ports. This is not a problem for Logic 4 or Logic 8; however, Logic Pro 8 and Logic Pro 16 will have problems. Logic Pro 8 may work with the LED turned off; however, Logic Pro 16 will not be able to function properly.

It may be possible to power the logic analyzer using a powered USB hub that is properly isolated. Most hubs include a 2-prong power supply that will provide some minimal isolation from MAINs earth ground, but they are generally not rated for isolation.

Our second recommendation is to simply isolate the digital inputs before they reach Logic. You may want to consider using this SI Labs digital isolator evaluation kit. Additional work will be required to get it running, and it won't work in all scenarios, but it's a good starting point.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/SI84XXISO-KIT/336-1765-ND/2170672

Unfortunately, we don't currently have any suggestions for analog input isolation. However, there is one other option you can consider.

You can also fully isolate the host PC and all other attached peripherals from other ground references. This is done most easily with a laptop running from battery power or by using a modified isolation transformer with its MAINS ground wire disconnected. Please note that we only mention this as a possibility and do not recommend it since it can put the operator in danger under some circumstances. If the operator becomes the ground short between the device under test and the MAINS ground (or another ground reference), serious injury may occur.

admin

Solve USB mixer noise issue on Behringer USB Mixers  ,
(Lower Windows Mic Recording Gain

jm345

I am running my electric guitar into stereo pedals into a Radial EXTC Reamp Box (but I am not reamping) and then into a UAD Apollo interface connected to a MacBook Pro 2019. The Apollo goes directly to the MacBook. Everything else, including all USBs, go into a CalDigit TS3 Plus dock connected to the Mac – which also charges the Mac. I am recording and monitoring in my DAW. With everything connected the background is dead quiet.
Some of the pedals have a computer app that connect via USB. When I load one of these apps in the MacBook I get all sorts of noise. If I unplug the USB cable the noise stops. This seems similar to the problems discussed above but I am not sure of the best solution for my situation? Would a simple USB "adapter" work? Is there one recommended and currently available? With the CalDigit TS3 involved and charging the Mac I am not sure how modifying any grounding would work. Any suggestions? Thank you.

gearhound22

So looks like a few different solutions for the USB ground noise
USB ground isolator
Radial StageBug SB-6 Audio Isolator
Ebtech Hum Exterminator
All these are around the same price in Canada

I tried using a DI box with an isolator that solved my issue to prove that method....I'd prefer not messing with my raw guitar tone though.
The noise problem I'm having is from the Axon USB cable , if I pull the cable at either it or the axe-fx it stops.....its not hooked to a PC when the noise is present.

I noticed the other one in the thread is a high speed one....would this one work? Axon is only sending midi and used for editing.
https://hifimediy.com/product/usb-isolator/

admin

Quote from: gearhound22 on March 27, 2022, 10:59:14 PM
So looks like a few different solutions for the USB ground noise
USB ground isolator
Radial StageBug SB-6 Audio Isolator
Ebtech Hum Exterminator
All these are around the same price in Canada

I tried using a DI box with an isolator that solved my issue to prove that method....I'd prefer not messing with my raw guitar tone though.
The noise problem I'm having is from the Axon USB cable , if I pull the cable at either it or the axe-fx it stops.....its not hooked to a PC when the noise is present.

I noticed the other one in the thread is a high speed one....would this one work? Axon is only sending midi and used for editing.
https://hifimediy.com/product/usb-isolator/

This USB Isolator works to tame noise (ground loops via USB Data Cable)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30581.msg224016#msg224016

https://www.amazon.com/HiLetgo-Channels-ADUM3160-Voltage-Isolator/dp/B07VK721RV/ref=pd_di_sccai_2/137-5800686-0809564

TheOreoMonster

Similar set up to another mentioned here. Using A Boss GT-1000 with sub outs or main outs going to my interface. an Apogee element. The Apogee is connected directly to the Mac. The GT-1000 is connected with everything else usb to a Caldigit TS3+ Thunderbolt dock that also powers the Mac. It's noisy when the USB cabled is connected to the dock but dead quiet when it's not. It's  Also quiet if I connect the GT directly to the Mac but limited ports on this model means I can't have  the Apogee` and the GT connected directly to the Mac. I assume one of thes ground idolaters will be appropriate in this scenario as well?