GR-55 how to make those dumb guitar PCM tones into something cool- use resonance

Started by DreamTheory, June 15, 2015, 01:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreamTheory

I always thought that the PCM guitar tones were some of the worst, most useless sounds in the GR-55, until last week, when I lucked into this.

In a word: resonance.

Take an acoustic guitar patch like Folk Guitar 1.

1) Increase the resonance to +25 (It goes from -50 to +50). This will cause a little bit of oscillation but not squeals, sound almost like a phaser, but behaves differently.

2) in the TVA section increase the Release to +20.

Now it sounds like a spacey- sitar thing. To me this is way cool, and immediately gets me soloing.

Juice it up more by-

- creating a second identical PCM tone, detuning it +10, and panning them L and R (not all the way but pretty wide).

- adding your favorite delay and reverb

- trying different combinations of PCM tones, like 12 string or Storm bass or whatever you like

- layer on a lead guitar with normal PU or model

- experiment with even more resonance

I am learning that resonance parameter is really powerful because it is sort of like a multiplication factor that increases anything else you do. The hype increases exponentially. At the top levels of saturation you get noises that are insane, which is interesting in itself, but the mid ranges also make dramatic differences, for instance in the way effects behave.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

DreamTheory

electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

supernicd

Pretty cool indeed.  Admittedly, when exploring the PCM tones, I have always blown by those writing them off as "not very good".  But you just changed that perception. :)
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

DreamTheory

I feel like the accidental blurbs and stuff are cool once you get into that "esoteric" space cadet sort of thing.

For more realistic modeling, the acoustic guitar PCMs can still be used, but I think the key is layering.

Fusion

Personally I just use the COSM section for std guitar tones and them are rather marvelous. I do suppose that it is known the various PCM adjustments and settings can be easily assigned into the 8 assign switches and you can kick those on as you see fit.
I have not experimented much with the guitar tones on the PCM as the COSM 12 string and so on is so amazing. I will have to try some of these on my Sitar patches to see if the PCM sitar can be improved.
"Long ago in days of old when magic filled the air..."

maan108

Quote from: Fusion on June 20, 2015, 07:02:30 PM
I have not experimented much with the guitar tones on the PCM as the COSM 12 string and so on is so amazing. I will have to try some of these on my Sitar patches to see if the PCM sitar can be improved.

Hallo !
I've tested  Internal Pedal to tweak  cut-off parameter also.
This is a small example applied to sitar patch.
It is not a gently use of effects ...  ;)

Jonfate

This is a great idea! These samples sound really good.
I know what I'll be trying tonight!