Antares Internal Luthier Kit In External Housing

Started by utensil, March 04, 2016, 11:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TravisWildcard

Thanks for the input! My thoughts were to do all of the control via midi. The main hub of my pedalboard is a line 6 Helix. I'm already using it to change patches in mainstage. Should be easy enough to send midi messages to the Antares box to change tunings and engage string tube right?

Majiken

With my extremely limited tech abilities, from what I can see the answer should be yes for anyone savvy (I can imagine this would make CodeSmart yawn).  I love the concept and the sound of the GP-10, but I hate the darn warbles.  I put the luthier kit in a guitar, but discovered that means I have to make changes by hand; this works quickly, but I do miss the idea of just hitting one switch and changing everything.

Now when I think about it, if you can get that working in a box on the floor I should be able to plug in a midi cable to the guitar and get the same thing, right???? Tempting idea!
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: Majiken on January 18, 2017, 05:56:43 PM
With my extremely limited tech abilities, from what I can see the answer should be yes for anyone savvy (I can imagine this would make CodeSmart yawn).  I love the concept and the sound of the GP-10, but I hate the darn warbles.  I put the luthier kit in a guitar, but discovered that means I have to make changes by hand; this works quickly, but I do miss the idea of just hitting one switch and changing everything.

Now when I think about it, if you can get that working in a box on the floor I should be able to plug in a midi cable to the guitar and get the same thing, right???? Tempting idea!

I take it you haven't tried the MIDI Designer on iPad to control your ATG?
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

DLC86

Hi, I'm resurrecting this thread cuz I'm going to place my ATG board in an external box soon, but I have a question for you:
Is it a good idea to send the signal of the mag hex pickup to the board thru a 5 meters long multicore cable (capacitance 120pF/m) or do I need a buffer/preamp in the guitar?
I don't mind a bit of treble roll-off if the effect of the cable is similar to that of a normal guitar pickup, I just want to be sure it won't cause other issues (crosstalk, noise, etc..).

cags12

Quote from: DLC86 on November 21, 2018, 10:05:41 AM
Hi, I'm resurrecting this thread cuz I'm going to place my ATG board in an external box soon, but I have a question for you:
Is it a good idea to send the signal of the mag hex pickup to the board thru a 5 meters long multicore cable (capacitance 120pF/m) or do I need a buffer/preamp in the guitar?
I don't mind a bit of treble roll-off if the effect of the cable is similar to that of a normal guitar pickup, I just want to be sure it won't cause other issues (crosstalk, noise, etc..).

Is this the Mag version of the kit? If so, I would expect a some of signal drop, crosstalk and interference. I may be wrong of course.

I have the same plan but using a GK buffered kit with my Piezo ATG kit. I have not done anything yet because I've been lazy in tackling the powering of the KIT via the GK-13 cable.

DLC86

Quote from: cags12 on November 21, 2018, 02:39:32 PM
Is this the Mag version of the kit? If so, I would expect a some of signal drop, crosstalk and interference. I may be wrong of course.

I have the same plan but using a GK buffered kit with my Piezo ATG kit. I have not done anything yet because I've been lazy in tackling the powering of the KIT via the GK-13 cable.
Yes it's the mag version. I'm going to use it with a mag pickup in one guitar and with piezo in another one where I'll install a diy 6-channel piezo buffer/attenuator.
I might build the same buffer for the mag equipped guitar as well if that helps with those issues.

DLC86

I checked the specs of the multicore cable I'm going to buy, it has both braided and foil shielding so it should have a good EMI rejection and its crosstalk is "better than -46dB", so at least 1dB lower than the pickup itself (assuming the performance of the Antares mag pickup is pretty similar to a gk3).

Given those specs I think there shouldn't be major problems, I guess I'll just have to try it.

cags12

Quote from: DLC86 on November 22, 2018, 01:54:39 AM
I checked the specs of the multicore cable I'm going to buy, it has both braided and foil shielding so it should have a good EMI rejection and its crosstalk is "better than -46dB", so at least 1dB lower than the pickup itself (assuming the performance of the Antares mag pickup is pretty similar to a gk3).

Given those specs I think there shouldn't be major problems, I guess I'll just have to try it.

Antares/Shadow pickup is way hotter than the GK3 pickup (buffered) so yeah, worth a try.

mapletop

hi i have a peavey at200 with the full package.but anymore it has bass sounds on 5 and 6 strings anyone know how to fix it