New VGuitar Forums feature requests?

Started by Slackjaw, September 27, 2010, 03:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slackjaw

So while I'm at it giving the site a bit of a refresh, are there any incremental features and/or functionality that we should have?  There are many many modules available for this SMF forum platform.  I think we've got a lot covered, but if there was something of value we are missing I'd be glad to take a look!
My Rig: Brian Moore i2.13 > Guitar Rig 4 and Roland GR-09 > Ableton Live 8 Suite > Alesis  MasterControl > Little Dot 1+ > Allesandro MS-1 Headphones > My Head > My Soul

Brent Flash

I have noticed on other forums that the "NOTIFY" button will change to "UNNOTIFY" when you have set it to notify you. Do you think you could set that up?

sixeight

Is there any way to like and unlike posts and patches like in Facebook? It may work better than karma.

A2theT

I 2nd sixeights request. Patch rating system would be stellar 0-5 stars maybe. Number of times dl'd etc.
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

A2theT

Come to think of it, we kinda have a flavour of that  already
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

Slackjaw

Quote from: Brent Flash on September 27, 2010, 06:50:20 AM
I have noticed on other forums that the "NOTIFY" button will change to "UNNOTIFY" when you have set it to notify you. Do you think you could set that up?

This is on the list to investigate.
My Rig: Brian Moore i2.13 > Guitar Rig 4 and Roland GR-09 > Ableton Live 8 Suite > Alesis  MasterControl > Little Dot 1+ > Allesandro MS-1 Headphones > My Head > My Soul

Slackjaw

Quote from: sixeight on September 27, 2010, 10:28:32 AM
Is there any way to like and unlike posts and patches like in Facebook? It may work better than karma.

You mean like the thumbs up and thumbs down thing, correct?

(I ran screaming from Facebook when my high school psycho girlfriend wanted to "get in touch")

sixeight

QuoteYou mean like the thumbs up and thumbs down thing, correct?

Something like that. It is a way of rating posts and patches, to make it easier to find the best information and the best patches.

Brent Flash

Quote from: sixeight on September 28, 2010, 10:47:28 AM
Something like that. It is a way of rating posts and patches, to make it easier to find the best information and the best patches.
I just wanted to point out that the patches have a rating system already. I don't know how many vote but it is a one to five stars system.

sixeight

I missed that one. Looks like not many people are using it though. How could we encourage people to use it more? I guess Facebook's liking system works OK, because it reports back when a user liked something. I only started using it after a few months and now I quite like it. Some times you have nothing to add to a particular remark, but you do like it.

A2theT

I have a list of all the forum patch alphabetically in another thread.  It would be sweet if it was accessible within the forum as a side window or even a pop-up like chat window where you could scroll down the list and select the patch or rate it or or download it etc..  See, right now if you find a patch in the list that you like called bellwahpad1 for example, then you have to try and search the forum itself for this patch and its description and i find the search doesn't always work.  Maybe as an interim step can you expand the forum search option to also search attachment filenames?  I think this is key to finding the info on a patch you may have imported from my "All patches.zip" file.   Do you know what I mean?  
HEAVY on the METAL

A2theT

As an addendum to my above post I did try and post the entire VGuitarForum Patch listing to a thread of its own for scrolling through but its too big.

I get the message, "The following error or errors occurred while posting this message: The message exceeds the maximum allowed length (20000 characters)."

The list currently requires 37877 characters.
HEAVY on the METAL

falseknight

Any chance of a section for users of legacy gear?

All the stuff is built like it will last for ever, so it's going to get passed down - and the music world ALWAYS ends u with an awkward squad who prefer yesterday's technology.tgyvct

Now_And_Then

Quote from: A to the T on September 28, 2010, 01:01:03 PM
As an addendum to my above post I did try and post the entire VGuitarForum Patch listing to a thread of its own for scrolling through but its too big.

I recall a thread about changing the Patches section. Sadly the implementation has remained exactly what it was, and what is was, is profoundly suboptimal. The current arrangement of every patch on its own page is, for me at least, completely unusable. When I say "unusable" what I mean is, that I do not use it, ever. My opinion is that, even if it is impossible to put all the patches on one page, they should still be consolidated to as few pages as possible, with as many patches on each page as possible. Farther than this I will not go because I myself have no coding skills and so am not going to rush to describe elaborate solutions that I myself would not have to implement.

(It was also suggested, at the time of the original discussion, that someone take the responsibility of packing up, in a single zip file, all of the patches, on a monthly basis. Unfortunately, while someone did undertake to make the zip file, the downloadable archive was promised to be updated on a daily basis. Which as anyone could have predicted, was not a workable plan. And as a consequence, the zip file has not been updated since the beginning of September.)

Regarding other forum features, I would like to see the "Karma" stuff completely gotten rid of. It is really childish. (Ditto "Like/Dislike" buttons.) This stuff is really not needed. For example, I belong to a pet owners' forum. The forum I use is quite big and very well respected, to the point of being used as a resource by veterinarians and researchers. It is encumbered with no "Like" buttons, "Karma" counters, or even post counts. And of course no ShoutBoxes (or whatever that crap is called) and no "signatures", no chat features; none of that garbage. If that forum can not only survive, but prosper without the foolish gadgets, I don't really see what purpose they serve on this forum - except add an aura of adolescence to the proceedings. Especially if, as seems to me to be the case, a significant fraction of the members here are 40 or 50 years of age.