Real Time Audio Analyzer?

Started by Elantric, January 23, 2008, 08:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexmcginness

This is the cool thing with Harbal. Practice frist modeling the guitar that your GK is on. ( assuming its a real guitar and not just a controller ) Once you get that, you can now have instant altered tunings/capo with your guitars original tone, then  move on to your stomp boxes and the like until youre carryin your whole guitar/pedal setup in the box. Then, youll want to start renting/borrowing other instruments youd like to have but dont want to own. Harbal will truly help you get as close to the real thing out of your 99, that you can get. Wanna swtich to a 55? Use Harbal to tweak and match up your new patches to perfection. Its an amazing tool that a lot of people just dont use for some reason.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Kenmac

I was going to post a reply about Virtualbox but I'm glad to hear you got things working JCRob. Here's a question I was going to ask earlier about Har-Bal. Most of us here who use the VG-99 are pretty much in agreement that the acoustic guitar sounds could use a little work. Has anybody tried micing and recording their acoustic, then tried to get one of the VGs acoustic models to match up with Har-Bal? Naturally I don't expect the virtual model to rival a nice Martin or Taylor but if somebody has gotten good results, let us know and if possible, maybe post a patch.
"Let them brush your rock and roll hair."

alexmcginness

This is such a personal thing as to what a good "sound" is. For live use most of the patches Ive tried just dont cut it for me. For years Ive been doing a solo gig where Ive run my strat thru a Guyatone TO-2 a delay pedal and a Boss CE-3. I have to set the eq on the board to 9 oclock on the bass shelf and on the trebel shelf to 1 or 2 oclock. This way the guitar sits in the mix with my backing tracks quite well. Now, enter the VG-99. I used harbal to model my strat as close as possible. So the eq on the board still needs to be set at 9 and 2 as the eq comming from the virtual strat is identical to the real one. This makes for a lot of re-eq ing of other peoples patches for me to get them to match up to my other patches for live use.
   Ive always had trouble getting a good acoustic sound out of the 99 running thru a PA. Ive got a couple that work good for recording, but not live. Hence I use a Traveler Escape MKII acoustic for the acoustic sounds and for the electric sounds I use the GK-3 and the 99 for all the electric sounds.
  So, if you want a "good" acoustic sound, one way would be to get say a Takamine acoustic, plug it into whatever system you gonna use to play acoustic with, ( live or recording ) get a decent sound with the TAk, and then use Harbal to get the 99 to match up with that. Just choose an acoustic model that sounds close to what the guitar youre trying to model sounds like and go from there.
   I think the most important thing is to get what works for you. I guess that almost goes without saying. Good luck.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

JCRob

Quote from: Kenmac on February 18, 2011, 03:27:05 PM
I was going to post a reply about Virtualbox but I'm glad to hear you got things working JCRob.

Thanks man (though yesterday I found the virtual machine en error with the virtual disk, what a problem Windows is).

I'm borrowing a friend's Parker guitar,  and I'll go for a nylon Godin!
I think this can be achieved in my VB-99 by selecting a LP,  in poly FX selecting the string modeler with nylon.  The rest will be EQ...

What do you think?

P.S.: I WILL post results soon!!!!

Virtual Madness

Hi Alex,

Using Har-Bal, were you able to model guitars with the VG-99 that you couldn't model with the VG-88?

Thanks for firing up this interesting and helpful thread,

Royce  :)
The greatest power in the universe is imagination!

musicman65

I have not used HarBal to visualize the effects of altering settings like the OP is doing....yet. I did use it to remaster some wav files created as output from Cubase. The control over the eq is simply amazing. The clarity I could get from altering the eq was amazing. You can "see" what the sound is doing!

I will definetely use this to get the GR55's output closer to my finely tweaked VG99's tones.

musicman65

JCRob

OK guys:

Here is my first work with the HarBal software aid...  I just recorded this using  the two outputs of my bass (the hex and normal PU) over a drum track.

Please post you impressions on how accurate is the emulation, and, if you have suggestions, please let them be heard.

Hope this motivates others.....  I have my Ken Smith emulated!!!!!!  (Just recorded a Fender Jazz Bass American Deluxe and a Strat American Deluxe, which are in line to be punked)

Roberto

alexmcginness

Pretty darn close Id say. Dont ya just love Harbal? Whats cool is if you model the guitar your GK is on. Now you have instant capos, alternate tunings, 12 string using your real guitar as the main strings and the vg for the octaves and slight detune.

JCRob

Quote from: alexmcginness on February 28, 2011, 11:27:27 AM
Dont ya just love Harbal?

It's a great software... Right now I'm in the middle of mixing a Jazz project, so I'll use this tool for a pre-mastering work as well.

aliensporebomb

JCRob - I love the rhythm tracks and playing too - kick ace stuff! 

And yes, I should set up my spare PC as a harbal machine although I might end up slipping and calling it "hairball".
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

JCRob

Quote from: aliensporebomb on February 28, 2011, 05:47:55 PM
JCRob - I love the rhythm tracks and playing too - kick ace stuff! 

Thanks man.  Will try to keep posting other "emulations".

JCRob

Quote from: aliensporebomb on February 28, 2011, 05:47:55 PM
And yes, I should set up my spare PC as a harbal machine although I might end up slipping and calling it "hairball".

You should!  Although I use it inside my Mac OS as virtual machine.  Have shared folder setup so I can work on Mac.

Kenmac

Quote from: JCRob on February 28, 2011, 10:42:45 AM
OK guys:

Here is my first work with the HarBal software aid...  I just recorded this using  the two outputs of my bass (the hex and normal PU) over a drum track.

Please post you impressions on how accurate is the emulation, and, if you have suggestions, please let them be heard.

Hope this motivates others.....  I have my Ken Smith emulated!!!!!!  (Just recorded a Fender Jazz Bass American Deluxe and a Strat American Deluxe, which are in line to be punked)

Roberto

:o  The similarities are remarkable and very nice playing as well JCRob. Once again it would be nice if somebody were to do an emulation of a nice acoustic guitar with Harbal and the VG-99. (Hint hint.)    ;)
"Let them brush your rock and roll hair."

aliensporebomb

Mac users might want to consider this option:
http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/VoxSPANOSX/

I will let you know how much luck I have.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

alexmcginness

Quote from: Virtual Madness on February 24, 2011, 10:26:33 AM
Hi Alex,

Using Har-Bal, were you able to model guitars with the VG-99 that you couldn't model with the VG-88?

Thanks for firing up this interesting and helpful thread,

Royce  :)

I never really got into doing the kind of intense modeling with the 88 that I did with the 99. The 88 was more for in the studio with me. I got more into the 99 due to carry on luggage restrictions with the airlines. I use to carry a Strat and a large box Takamine acoustic inside a Levis gig bag. It just started to get tougher to get it in the cabin, as they always wanted to take it and put it in the hold. So, I came across a Traveller Escape MKII steel acoustic ( http://www.travelerguitar.com/products/escape-series/mk-ii/ )  and I put a GK on it. I modeled my strat,  and the acoustic in the traveller worked better for live than the acoustics in the 99 so I have the best of both worlds. Ive modeled the Traveller acoustic as close as I can and use the virtual version for capo and open tunings as well as a combination of the real traveler and the fake one to give me a nice 12 string acoustic. The real traveller gives me the normal strings and the virtual traveler gives me the octave strings.
  I also modeled my Guyatone TO-2 overdrive pedal for my lead sounds with the virtual strat. Thanks to the VG-99 and Harbal, Im travelling a lot lighter these days.

Virtual Madness

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your response!

I know what you mean about traveling with your gear..it can be a nightmare.
That's a great little setup you've put together!..the Traveller Escape MKII sounds great on the videos i've seen of yours on YouTube.
I was stunned thinking that great acoustic sound you have was coming out of the VG-99!
I've been thinking more and more about putting a GK-3 on a acoustic to have the best of both worlds, and this thread, and your videos, are pushing me over the edge.

Well, i'm off to buy Har-Bal..it looks like you've sold at least two copies of that software in this thread alone!

Thank you, and congratulations on your setup and continued success!  :)

Royce
The greatest power in the universe is imagination!

Elantric

I should update this thread - as there have been many new low cost Audio Real Time analyzers that prove to be helpful 

For Android  - my current favorite is FastGram Pro $3.99
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.idroidbot.fastgram&referrer
Unreal Features as I  recall the old days when such pieces of audio test gear cost thousands $$
Android Tablet

Android phone

Description
An advanced audio real-time analyzer engineering tool that displays FFT in 2D graph and Spectrogram. The tool combines iSpectral and iGram into a single easy to use App. This combination allows the operator to see historical data (up to minutes) over time.
*New update*
Double the FFT size from previous version to 16384 samples.
*NOTE to customers*
Please informed us (idroidbot@gmail.com) if you have any issues running the App on your phone or you are not completely satisfied. We can issue you a refund. Thanks, VT
*New Features from previous release*
- Added a highly requested feature giving the operator the ability to zoom in and out for viewing data at every frequency bin.
- Added options for graph display setting of line plot or bar chart
- Added 8 Matlab like windowing functions
Here are the highlighted features:
1. Two displays: 2D graph and spectrogram.
2. Selectable sample rates and FFT size. Max sample rate of 48k and max FFT size of 16384.
3. Zoom in or out for viewing data at high resolutions.
4. Matlab like windowing functions.
5. Matlab like colormaps.
6. Display 2D graph setting in line or bar chart mode.
7. Records audio data to SD card or socket for playback.
8. Signal conditioning such as averaging or setting data threshold trigger.
9. Two crossbars for easy readout and calculating the deltas.
10. View data in landscape or portrait mode
11. And many more!
Hardware permission required by this App:
1. WRITE_SETTINGS - This is needed to change the display from sleeping.
2. RECORD_AUDIO - Data taken from microphone.
3. INTERNET - This is required for transmitting audio data over a socket.
4. WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE - Save recorded audio data to SD for playback.
This App covers the following topics: spectral analyzer, signal processing engineer, FFT, sonar, oceanographer, sound, acoustics, music and speaker tuning.
If you like this app, checkout our other apps: Acoustics Filter, Waterfall Spectrum Analyzer, iSpectral, iGram and ActivePinger.
*Hardware Note*
Since each phone has different hardware, you may need to increase or decrease your sample rate or FFT size setting to get optimal response.
**** Mini Manual ****
1. Zoom In/Out
To zoom in and out, make sure to press the button starting with "Zm" to "Zm On". Once this is selected start dragging the touch screen and release to zooming in. Press the "Back" button to zoom out.
2. To see readout of cursor, make sure to press the "Bar" button to "Bar On" and start touching the screen. There are two cross bars and the one that is closest to where you touch will be the active one.

For iPad (IOS)
Audio Analyzer
By DEXUS Pawel Krzywdzinski
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/audio-analyzer/id681184981?mt=8

Description
Audio Analyzer is a real-time spectrum, spectrogram, oscilloscope and octave RTA analyzer. It gives you a visual representation of any acoustic signal. It can be used to analyze the sounds of musical instruments, to identify spoken words phonetically, to measure the frequency response of audio equipment, or to picture the calls of different animals. You can also check "The Singer's Formant", the most important measure for every opera singer. Generally speaking, the power of the Audio Analyzer is huge.

Visualize your voice or any sound!!!

Features

- Fast Fourier Transform (FFT)
- Spectrogram analyzer (color, black and white, fast response)
- Spectrum analyzer
- Oscilloscope (full FFT window size)
- Octave RTA analyzer (RMS values)
- SPL Meter (dBFS)
- Zoom and pan all charts
- Measure values in all charts
- Move back analysis (just tap on the spectrogram)
- PIP (picture-in-picture), allows the simultaneous analysis on the Spectrogram chart and Octave RTA, Spectrum or Oscilloscope
- Audio input can be supplied via built-in microphone and an external microphone (via the headphone jack, USB audio interface or through the iPhone/iPad dock connector - many Core Audio compliant devices)
- Sharing charts (through mail, social networks, clipboard)
- Frequency scale: linear and logarithmic
- Amplitude scale: linear and logarithmic SPL/RMS (dBFS)
- Octave RTA bands: full, 1/3, 1/6
- SPL meter weighting: dBZ - linear
- FFT window sizes: 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16384

For a step up in features, performance

Analyzer By DSP Mobile
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/analyzer/id454225351?mt=8

Description
The Analyzer is a combination of a sound pressure level (SPL) meter and a full range multiple bands frequency analyzer. It is mainly designed for audio professionals who need to evaluate different working environments (e.g. studios, live stages)... that's why it's perfect for anyone who's in need of acoustical analysis!! It is easy to use and comes with amazing features only known from professional acoustic tools.

Use the Analyzer for measuring stages, testing speakers, setting up your hi-fi system, evaluating sound mixing environments, analyzing your instrument... or for measuring the noise your neighbor makes with his new stereo!

The Analyzer is pre-calibrated for all iDevices, but it includes a calibration function as well. It comes with a highly intuitive user interface with zoom gesture control, individual color settings, reticle zoom and many more exciting features. The Analyzer can store, load and export measurement data and supports iCloud storage.

Combine the Analyzer with external microphones such as the MicW i436 for better measurement performance! Or use it with external USB audio hardware like the RME Fireface UCX or the Alesis IO dock, change the measurement scale to dB (FS) and use it as a studio Realtime Analyzer!

ANALYZER FEATURES

SPL Meter:
- SPL measurement weighting functions: A B C Z
- Industry standard response times: impulse, fast and slow
- Meter switchable to dB FS for measuring with external USB interface
- Pre-calibrated for all available iOS devices

Realtime Audio Analyzer (RTA) audio engine:
- Bandwidth selectable from 1 octave up to 1/1200 octave (depending on your iDevice)
- FFT block size from 1024 to 65536 samples
- 6 different FFT window functions
- Leq measurement
- Automatic peak detection
- Signal generator: pink and white noise, sine
- Manual and automatic calibration
- Frequency response compensation for different mic characteristics of the built-in microphones

RTA graphics:
- Touch gesture zoom
- Reticle with lens functionality
- Bar or FFT line view
- User definable graph colors
- Create up to 14 snapshots with hold, Leq, or snapshot function
- Workspace concept: store all current snapshots and color settings
- Snapshot and workspace storage, load and export
- iCloud support: move files between local and iCloud storage
- Export to .csv oder .png files: share them via Mail, Dropbox, iTunes etc.
- Import of .csv files

AVAILABLE AS IN-APP PURCHASES:
- Frequency response compensations for Mic-W i436 (with individually adjustable sensitivity), i266, i456, i825, i855, iShotgun and the Apple EarPods

Elantric

http://www.bonisaudio.com/soft_zerodbv.html

{ ZERO DBV • V 1.0 • REFERENCE 0 DBV FOR REALTEK AUDIO CHIPSET }
0 DBV Sine Generator @ 100 Hz, 1 KHz and 10 KHz. Tested with Realtek audio chipset. This code sometimes also work with different audio chipset @ 1 Vrms but you need to verify your soundcard output with a true rms multimeter (1 Vrms)

http://www.bonisaudio.com/soft_engineer.html

admin

Quote from: Elantric on October 12, 2008, 08:53:29 AM
Best Free Audio Analyzer?

Room EQ Wizard is a Java application for measuring room responses and correcting modal resonances. It includes tools for generating test signals; measuring SPL; measuring frequency and impulse responses; generating spectral decay plots, waterfalls and energy-time curves; generating real time analyzer (RTA) plots; calculating reverberation times; displaying equaliser responses and automatically adjusting the settings of parametric equalisers to counter the effects of room modes.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

https://www.avnirvana.com/forums/official-rew-room-eq-wizard-support-forum.10/

admin

Elantric