GR-55 "Initial Impressions" by new owners.

Started by Elantric, February 04, 2011, 08:03:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

functionband

Amazing!
Wanted to surprise the band at our next rehearsal; i didn't tell them what my "new stomp box" was, I just asked them to start off with Superstition and used this to completely cover the entire brass section
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19601.msg140500#msg140500,

Rather than going through endless patches and seeing what it sounds like, think about what you want it to do.

We are also doing "empire state of mind" so just took one of the nice built in string sounds and modified so that the ctrl kicks in a dist guitar.

ce-loo forget you, is simple guitar and ctrl switches to a (light) choral sound and rotary organ sound (with bass strings muted)

basically saved our band from having to get another keys guy and horn section!

I don't even use my (prs 24 se) guitar sound at all; I just use the modelled sound

clue's in the name, I don't need studio quality.

Metaphasic

Ok, I am a new owner (02/27/2017), and here is my story and review.

When I was a teenager, probably around 18 or so, I saved up and bought a GR-300. I fell in love with it. Eventually though, I sold it in order to buy my wife's wedding ring. *awe* Well, a few years into our marriage, I got another one from a hock shop. I eventually had to sell that one too, as we hit upon hard times. I gave up as they were getting rarer and I wasn't impressed with newer models.

Well, this year, I had enough left over in tax refund money to get something for myself, so I got the GR-55 and a Les Paul Custom Pro. I've had it a few days now, and have gone through just about the whole thing, on top of reading all the setup docs here.

I am pleased with how this unit responds to my playing, when set up correctly. I have some issues with the GR-300 COSM model, and have come to the conclusion that the particular model is just bad, as I have no issues anywhere else. I have a post about this in the non-sticky portion if you have any insight.

For the most part, I use the COSM models over the guitar output. They seem to be a little clearer, without a lot of the low end crackle and artifacts that I get going straight through my GT-100. You can get rid of some of it with LP and HP filters, but not all. With the GR models, I don't have to worry about it because it isn't there.

I am light padder, in that the synth / string pads I choose to back my guitar models with aren't too heavy. Just enough to add atmosphere or ambience.

The stock patches were ok, for the most part, but some were just silly. I know this is because they wanted a variety of things for potential buyers to hear at the store, in many genres, as well as cut over the din of noise usually present in stores. But still, some of them are nice starting points.

I really like the ability to down-tune without messing with the actual pegs and having control assignments is really nice as well. On a few patches, I set the volume pedal to two assigns, the first is set to cutoff frequency from low to high, the other is resonance from high to low. So I can dial in custom sounds as I move the pedal, from a pure saw wave, to an electronic-like squelch. Keyboardists know what I mean.

It would've been nicer if the control unit and pickup were clip-mountable, once the brackets are in place, so removal is as easy as pressing a release, for storage in the guitars proper case. I am going to have to order an Anvil ATA case, custom fitting for a Les Paul with lining cutout for the control unit.

I am not a really heavy looper, so I didn't mess with that at all. I probably never will.

It's also nice to MIDI out to my Jupiter-50 and use sounds I already have on hand.

I'd give this unit a 9.5 out of 10. Well worth the money. My rating would've been a 10 if it hadn't been for my troubles with that one COSM model. Instead, I use the PCM versions and it works out well.

Thanks for reading.  ~Drew

JiveTurkey

I am not sure if new owner would apply or not; but I'll throw caution to the wind and reply anyway.

Had a 55 for about a week. It was my first dip in the guitar synth pool. Too advanced (and at the time, expensive) for me so I returned it. Got a 33 and gigged with it for a few years. Limited sounds and functionality but it did the job quite nicely. Got an SY because of the 1/4" ability. Gigged it for a few years and loved it but was knew the synth tones (well, lack of PCM tones) was a stumbling block for me. I will defend it to this day and it will stay in the rig forever. Got a GP10. LOVED the modeling and the synth tones were good. Ainsoph's instrument tones were absolutely essential. I found a deal on a 55 that I couldn't refuse and here I am.

I've had it for a few weeks. Little bit of time with @gumtown 's editor and I was getting the lay of the land. Quite nicely; I might add. The GR is great as an all in one solution. As was the GP. Difference being the PCM tones on the GR are a better fit for what I need. I think having experience with using (all sorts) of modelers as well as other synth units made for a better second-time-around transition and experience.  Amp tones are much better than I expected given it's age. I have no reservations about using it as an all in one solution. Looking forward to my first gig in May with!

Torby

I've had a GR300, GR700, GR1, GR33 and now at last the GR55. I have to say this has been the best so far, I love the guitar Modelling as well.
I play in a Classic Rock band (we're all in late 50's) and don't have a keyboard player, so for 70's and 80's rock keyboard sounds you couldn't beat it, lush pads, synth brass, killer organ sounds, as regards latency, I don't think anyone in the band notices, the audience certainly doesn't, but the overall sound is good, we like to try and sound like the originals.
My biggest problem , like others is trying to use the guitar out to my Blackstar amp, the noise and interference makes it unusable so I'm running two cables, I wonder would some sort of ground lift help.
Overall, I love my Roland's, always have always will and find them usable for what I do....I'm not a million notes per second shredder and choose my sounds to work within my band...to be honest anything we play doesn't involve really fast note playing....so don't be put off by nay Sayers, decide what you want it to do, try it in the context and if it works....go for it.

Shakidoby

Hi there, all you V-guys'n'girls, here is my story:

First contact with the 'digital' world was a zoom9001 in 1992. I bought it together with a Marshall Valvestate amp and a Gibson Les Paul Studio in winered with gold hardware. I was amazed by the delays and modulation opportunities I suddenly had. Then sometime I changed to a Korg AX1G wich sounded brilliant over the effect-return of the Valvestate. Then I tried some other multieffects and ended up with a Pedalboard and a Fender Superchamp XD with Jensen Speaker. Someday, a musical friend who played a Roland GR-20 with a Bass Guitar made me want it. Finally I swopped it against a Korg E-500 Keyboard, wich I bought earlier, just to have a "better" keyboard. So I got into guitarsynths. For a (for me) long time, about 4 years, I dreamt of the GR-55, and last week, I got a hit on ebay, the Unit without everything, only with the power supply. I bought it for 353,01 Euro, what is funny, cause the second highest bid was 353,00 Euro... That guy must have been pissed off... three day later, last monday, it came. The first day I played around, just checking, what is what, the second day also, on the third day, i got me an usb-cable and played around with the floorboard-software for two days, and today was my first rehearsal with my Latin Pop Band and anyone, me included, was blown away about the possibilities of the GR-55.
Oh, I forgot... I mounted the GK3 pickup on the 25-year-old Gibson Les Paul Studio :)
There is something to do, till the GR-55 fits perfectly into my bandperformance, putting patches together and leveling the volumes of the patches, but I shurely will not need to take an acoustic guitar and acoustic amp to rehearsals or gigs anymore.
Roland Gr-55, Boss GP-10
Gibson Les Paul Studio (1991) with GK-3
Ibanez RG-550XH with GK-2
Harley Benton BM-75 with GK-3

Max Klein

Prior Roland VG COSM Guitar system (VG-8/VG-88/VG-99 )Owner? No

Prior Guitar Synthesizer Owner? No

Thought I'd share some very initial impressions from a 2019 GK3B/GR55 user. I've never used any synths/roland gear etc. and got my GR55 in the mail yesterday. Blown away by the ease of instillation and setup. I use the GK3B bass divided pickup and within 10 minutes of booting up could get usable piano tones which is one of the hardest to dial in from what I have read here. I have read a lot of negative posts here about glitch notes and tracking lag. I have experienced very, very few miss triggers (piano admittedly took me a few minutes of technique adjustment), and very little noticeable tracking delay other than below the 5th fret on my E string. In fact, I was able to play simple two handed tapping sections with piano tone (left hand covering bass notes right hand covering treble clef) without really digging deep into velocity/nuance setup. I probably spent 5 minutes in the menu doing velocity/nuance/sensitivity adjustments then dove into the presets and started making user patches based on them. While not a plug and play device I am completely blown away and pleasantly surprised by both the quality of tracking on bass and the quality of the audio samples. I found the menus to be relatively easy, planning on getting the floorboard editor but haven't needed it yet. All of that being said I am a very clean player with a personal vendetta against fret buzz who knows how to build basses/tweaks setup constantly and studied audio engineering so I may be an exception to the many setup complaints here. I play Musicman basses with very low action and have the GK3b so close to the strings that I can't fit the "feeler gauge" in. Also important to note I play flat wounds that eliminate a lot of string noise.

bryanz

Wow Max I need you to set up my strat!  But I'm thinking a '62 reissue strat is not designed to play as clean as your Musicman bass (nor are my fingers!).

Rev_M

I turned up a used GR-55 in great condition at a local music store and it had a price too low to resist.  Having used a BOSS GP-10 for a few years, I am familiar with the technology, although the GR-55 is considerably more sophisticated.  After pairing it  properly with my Godin xTSA, it sounds good.  After finding Gumtown's floorboard editor (a brilliant piece of software), I am having a wonderful time assembling interesting patches.  I think I can make some serious music with the GR-55.  Time will tell . . .

GuitarJoeNY

So, I just received the GR-55 today and it is incredible. I do have one issue, but I think I know what's going on.... Every time I change to an alternate tuning, my three thinner stringer have double, out of tune, notes when picked.  I think I have noticed that my E,B, and G are hitting into my GK2a pickup on my mex fender strat, therefore causing the sound to go out of whack. 

bryanz

Tracking is a big issue--you'll find a lot of posts about it--if it's not the strings on the pickup...does it happen when you hit the strings lightly?

cx1uk

Regarding the 'doubled Out of tune' notes, it may simply be that your volume isn't loud enough to cover the acoustic ringing from the physical strings. I know that's something I had a problem with. Try using the headphone socket into headphones and crank up the volume. If it is just the acoustic sound from the guitar the doubling should disappear.

What you can take from this is some minor niggles are gone at gig volumes. 😉
Strat Plus
PRS CE Custom24
Taylor A10e
Fender and Bassman Amps
Korg Synths
GR-55
GT-100

Mac Software

and a banjo (Sorry)

HecticArt

Quote from: cx1uk on November 26, 2019, 10:35:06 PM
Regarding the 'doubled Out of tune' notes, it may simply be that your volume isn't loud enough to cover the acoustic ringing from the physical strings. I know that's something I had a problem with. Try using the headphone socket into headphones and crank up the volume. If it is just the acoustic sound from the guitar the doubling should disappear.

What you can take from this is some minor niggles are gone at gig volumes. 😉
This.

For testing purposes, if you can't turn your amp up at home, headphones work. You can also try picking with your finger tips instead of a pick. It helps. When I practice at home, I hear the double notes, but at practice with the band, I never hear the doubling.

Benburd

Hi, this is going to sound crazy but I have found that if I put a large pot across the output and tweak the resistance levels I can get warmer tones and can actually get better amp sims as a final product. I don't know why but it seems to work. It gets rid of some of that grainy sound. Let me know if anyone tries this and has the same luck I have.

admin

Quote from: Benburd on July 13, 2020, 01:13:14 PM
Hi, this is going to sound crazy but I have found that if I put a large pot across the output and tweak the resistance levels I can get warmer tones and can actually get better amp sims as a final product. I don't know why but it seems to work. It gets rid of some of that grainy sound. Let me know if anyone tries this and has the same luck I have.

Pics & more details?

Brian Slater

2017 Godin xtSA - GR-55 - CRATE Acoustic Telluride

new user

experienced with computer DAW - like Pro Tools, Reason...

I just love this setup - i bought it used as a retirement present to myself and have a real hard time putting it down.

Not all glorious as I tried to load the the floorboard app on my new mac and am learning abour 32/64 bit Kernel crashes...AKKK

anyway - moved over to the PC - loaded the Roland tools, wiped everything out of the user banks and started anew.

Thanks to AUTANA for the classical guitar tones - besides being a ton of fun to play I am very interested in learning how they are built and what GK setup brings out the best expression with my Godin...

namaste
Godin xtSA, GR-55, JamMan Express, Crate Telluride

MitchP

Prior Roland VG COSM Guitar system (VG-8/VG-88/VG-99 ) Owner? No. Did own several GT-8's.

Prior Guitar Synthesizer Owner? yes, it was about 10-12 years ago in a Worship team situation. If I remember correctly, it was light blue metal lake finish and had more than 3 buttons for patch choice.

I only used it for background orchestral or choir sounds and liked it. The synth rock/metal guitar sounds were too harsh compared to my tube amp so I never really used them.

I'm beginning to like the GR-55 for it's tremendous synth selection; the organs, pianos, and special effects in particular. As for the modeling, I still think the RP-10 was better sounding hands down for pre-amps and pedal effects. I guess I'll get a better feel as I build more patches for my set list. I can't wait to add some synth backgrounds to Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb".
Tap into your inner Ace!