Need clarification for preamp types and speaker simulation

Started by compusic, February 21, 2017, 06:58:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

compusic

Hi, it seems Roland has added a few more preamp types in GR-55's GUITAR AMP SIMULATOR (the MFX  one) than in Roland's previous guitar multi-effects processors , such as GT-8, Gt-10, etc. The added ones are OD-1, OD-2 TURBO, DISTORTION and FUZZ,  these types seem to be the simulations of  different pedals, not preamps. Though we  can kind of consider them as preamps, but...  that's not the way in which we usually categorize them.  BTW, English is not my native language, so forgive me if I'm too serious about  verbalism.  Oh, no... what a terrible thing as "amp" can mean so many different things under different situations.

I need to make  another question first. As for speaker simulation on Roland's gears, does it include power section too? Maybe for some reasons Roland has chosen to combine the power section and speaker cabinet into one setting, while some  software amp simulation apps also provide individual power amp settings apart from speaker settings?

Then here comes my another question. In GUITAR AMP SIMULATOR (the MFX  one) settings, if I select one of those pedal simulations and turn  on speaker simulation, does that mean the signal go through the virtual  pedal first then into power-amp/speaker simulation? Hence bypass the preamp section (in fact,  there's no preamp any more), just like plugging a pedal into an amp's loop-return?

Thanks in advance for  any reply.

P.S.  As for Boss Drive and Boss Metal types in GR-55' Amp module, do they simulate the classic boss pedals too?

gumtown

The speaker and amp simulation does not contain any power amp settings,
I don't know if consideration for power amp characters were included in the "amp" simulation,
or if it is preamp character only.
(my guess is not)
Latter Boss amp/cabinet effect units includes a "TCOMP" parameter to emulate tube compression.

For the MFX Guitar Amp Sim, the preamp and speaker cabinet sections have separate on/off control, so I would say yes,
if the preamp is "off', the speaker cabinet sim can still run on it own.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

compusic

Thanks a lot for reply.

In fact, I have been wondering for a long time, why there's no individual power amp settings/simulations in almost all the hardware multi-effects processor?  As far as I know, there are some people who prefer to use power amp distortion rather than preamp distortion. But all the options provided by present products are preamp distortion. Maybe, cabinet simulations have taken  into consideration the power amp, but users have no access to any power amp settings.

BTW, as for OD-1, OD-2 TURBO, DISTORTION , FUZZ, Boss Drive and Boss Metal types mentioned previously, am I right that these are all simulations of stomp boxes?

Elantric

QuoteBut all the options provided by present products are preamp distortion.

Suggest need to look at more products than just the Roland offerings 

Vox (Korg) ToneLab provides various DSP simulated  power Amp types, But you need to know your UK Tube Amps to know that a Vox AC15 used a pair of EL84 power tubes , while a Fender Twin uses Four 6L6GC Power Tubes   

Marshall CODE
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18807.0
QuoteCODE's MST preamps include JTM45 2245, 1962 Bluesbreaker, 1959SLP Plexi, JCM800 2203, JCM2555 Silver Jubilee, JCM2000 DSL100, JVM410H and more, while power amp voicings on offer are EL34, 5881, EL84 & 6L6 – there's a selection of speaker cabs, too: 1960, 1960V, 1960AX, 1936V, 1912, 1974X and more.

Same with Fractal Axe-FX, and Scuffham S-Gear   

compusic

Quote from: Elantric on February 21, 2017, 06:46:29 PM

Suggest need to look at more products than just the Roland offerings 

Vox (Korg) ToneLab provides various DSP simulated  power Amp types, But you need to know your UK Tube Amps to know that a Vox AC15 used a pair of EL84 power tubes , while a Fender Twin uses Four 6L6GC Power Tubes   

Marshall CODE
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18807.0
Same with Fractal Axe-FX, and Scuffham S-Gear

Oh, thanks for the info.  Then I just  wonder why Roland, as a major manufacturer in this market, does not provide such individual power amp simulation settings.

BTW, no one can confirm my guess? OD-1, OD-2 TURBO, DISTORTION , FUZZ, Boss Drive and Boss Metal, all of these are simulations of stomp boxes, right? If so, then  In GUITAR AMP SIMULATOR  settings, if I select one of those pedal simulations and turn  on speaker simulation, does that mean the signal go through the virtual  pedal first then into power-amp/speaker simulation? Hence bypass the preamp section (in fact,  there's no preamp any more), just like plugging a pedal into an amp's loop-return?

Thanks in advance.