Midi Designer Pro - Control VG/GR Gear with Ipad.

Started by erikbojerik, October 20, 2012, 07:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erikbojerik

OK so this thing is pretty cool.

http://mididesigner.com/

lt will allow you to design and create a custom MIDI controller (buttons, sliders, etc) on your iPad so that you can adjust or alter any MIDI-controllable things in your rig.  Can connect via cable or WiFi MIDI.  You can take groups of buttons or sliders or whatever and wire them to a "supercontroller" button/slider/whatever that will adjust all of them together.  There are very creative possibilities here.

I have just started playing with this as I use the VG's guitar-to-MIDI to drive several soft synths as AU plug-ins within Apple's Mainstage on a laptop.  I have tested this using a few effects plug-ins as well (e.g. MIDI-driven parameter tweeks) and it seems to work.  So basically I have the knobs on the VG to control my guitar tweeks, and the iPad with MIDI Designer to control my software synth/effect tweeks.   8)

You just make a computer-to-iPad network and off you go via WiFi.  Don't go through a wireless router or it will increase latency.

Wish I had something like this for my feet - like a Roland EV-5 router that I could plug like 5 expression pedals into and have it transmit via WiFi.  Hmmm....maybe I can free up a USB port and figure something out....    ???

erikbojerik

So I have been playing around with an iPad app called MIDI Designer that allows me to create a MIDI control surface for the VG-99 and any other MIDI-enabled hardware and soft synths I might be using.  The main idea is to make a direct iPad-to-computer network with the computer connected to the VG-99 via USB (or perhaps via 5-pin MIDI into a USB converter if you're using a PC lacking a good USB MIDI driver).  You can also use a wired connection from iPad to computer but WiFi is just fine for the purposes of sending CC, PC and maybe tapping Note On/Off messages, not a lot of bandwidth being used here.  Essentially the iPad sends out the MIDI messages, and the laptop serves as the hub for routing the messages where they need to go.

MIDI Designer is not the only control surface app for the iPad, but I will explain how I use it with an iPad2 (running iOs 6.0) and a MacBook Pro (quad-core i7 8GB RAM 500GB SSHD running Snow Leopard).

To use MIDI Designer (MD) to control parameters on the VG-99, you first need to make sure on the VG-99 that the parameter is actually ON (e.g. to control Delay Feedback, Delay must be ON; to control Chorus Depth, Chorus must be ON; etc).  The VG has 16 control assigns that each can control one parameter or pairs of parameters (32 total in 16 gangs of 2), and each can be assigned to any CC# 1-32 or 64-95. Also good to have is a program called MIDI Monitor by SNOIZE which allows you to see all the MIDI messages passed back & forth and is very good for debugging the messaging path.

On VG-99
Control Assign -> page 7,8or9 -> select F1-6 to choose a control assign -> page 1
Use F1 knob select CC
Use F2 knob select the CC#
Assign1(1) SW ON, use F4-F5-F6 to map the control assign to a specific parameter
...page 2 set min(0)-max(100), make sure SW Mode is MOMENT, low(0)-high(127)
...page 3 Assign1(2) SW ON, use F4-F5-F6 to map the control assign to a parameter
...page 4 set min(0)-max(100), make sure SW Mode is MOMENT, low(0)-high(127)

It is important that when you are using continuous CC messages (e.g. not just on-off buttons) that the Control Assign SW Mode is set to MOMENT (even though you aren't using a switch...) – if it is set to LATCH then MD will send the right messages but the VG won't respond (spent half a day wondering what I was doing wrong before I tried that one....).

Typically keep the low set to 0 and the high set to 127, these are the limits to the CC values sent by MD that the VG will recognize – but if you want to map this range to a more narrow parameter range on the VG, you can just set your parameter's min and max to a more narrow range.

Then MAKE SURE to press WRITE to save the changes to the patch; this is cool because this means the control assigns can be made to change with each patch (though it is prob best to leave the CC#-to-control-assign map the same patch to patch to avoid cranial buffer overflow). 

iPad-to-computer network
On the computer set up a computer-to-computer network with a name specific for the task, in my case iPad to MacBook Pro (iPad2MBP).  Go to iPad, open up Settings -> WiFi and choose the network you just created above.  Close Settings.  Back on Mac, open up Audio MIDI Setup, go to MIDI Studio window, double click on Network icon, this will open up the MIDI Network Setup window.  Make sure the check boxes next to the Session Port and My Session (computer) are enabled.  Under Directory, you should see the iPad that is seen on your new network, select it then click on the Connect button.  This will establish the WiFi connection between the iPad and computer.

Very Important – on the lower-right of the MIDI Network Setup window you'll see drop-down menus for Live Routings.  Make sure the top one is set to your MIDI WiFi network name (iPad2MBP), and the bottom one to VG-99.  (if these are not set, the MIDI messages will not get to the VG).

It is advisable to not try to do this through your router's WiFi network – you *can* do it, but there is noticeable latency.  The direct iPad-to-computer network is much faster, and you can use it in a live situation.

MIDI Designer
Open up MD, click More -> Config and click the Connectivity tab at the bottom of the small window.  You should see the WiFi connection and there should be a blue check-mark to the right of the connection.  This verifies that MIDI Designer can send out MIDI messages over WiFi to the computer. 

Enter Design mode, create a knob or slider, assign it to the same MIDI channel as the VG-99, then assign it a CC# to control one of the VG's Control Assigns, and you should now be able to control any of your VG-99 parameters with MIDI Designer via WiFi through your computer's USB connection to the VG.  You can test the connection by going to the controlled parameter (say, FX[A] Delay Feedback) via the front panel of the VG-99, and on the VG's LCD screen the knob (Feedback) should move and change values as you adjust the touch-screen knob or slider on the iPad.

You can control 16 individual parameters on the VG that can remain the same or change from patch to patch, or up to 32 parameters (in 16 gangs of 2) with creative mapping of the VG's control assigns.  I think MIDI Designer is limited only by the number of CC#s.

This all can happen in addition to using the VG-99's USB connection for using the VG as an audio interface, and while using Guitar-to-MIDI.  So for example, I can use my GK-enabled guitar to trigger soft synths on my computer (via Mainstage and SampleTank) and take the USB audio into a program like Amplitube, while controlling the VG's parameters on my iPad.  Right now I am using the VG's F1-F6 knobs mapped to amp controls, and building an iPad control surface to control the VG's effect tweeks.

In addition, you can use MIDI Designer in a similar way to control parameters on any of your other MIDI-enabled gear that you have running at the same time as the VG-99.  So for example, I can expand the iPad control surface in MIDI Designer so that it will simultaneously control parameters on iPad soft synths running in the background (use Virtual MIDI or MIDI Bridge), on soft synths & effect plug-ins on my computer (via Mainstage or Logic), and on my analog rig receiving the guitar's magnetic pickup signal from the VG's rear guitar output (TC Electronics G-System, Mesa Triaxis and Eventide Eclipse) connected via 5-pin MIDI to the VG-99.  All enabled via WiFi iPad-to-laptop network.

Besides MIDI Designer, there are other iPad control surfaces available that can do similar things – TouchOSC, MIDI Touch, S1MidiTrigger, eyoControl, Manipulant, Midi Studio, Instrumental, TB Midi Stuff, and others.  Lots of fun!

erikbojerik

I will try to add a screenshot of my control surface once I have it all together.

erikbojerik

Here's what I came up with today, even with this many controls it is only part of the effect parameter space occupied by the VG-99.  So I attempted only to design the tweeks that one would want to access during a live situation, with other things (like Wah and Pitch Shift) better relegated to fairly well-defined tweeks and modulated with expression pedals. 

Keep in mind that with each VG-99 patch, you have only 16 control assigns each of which can control 2 parameters (ganged together).  So you need to pick and choose which of the control assigns you want to map onto this surface.  Just the EQs would take up all 16, but if pre-gain and post-gain were ganged together (perhaps with somewhat different parameter ranges) then that would open up 8 control assigns for 8-16 other parameters.

This is just an example, it could be further simplified or different parameters could be added.  The one I am working on for myself takes about half of these - the ones I use most often - and will relegate the rest of the space to parameters in other software programs (Mainstage, others).

Elantric

Looks Excellent erikbojerik!

Any chance of sharing the MIDI Designer IOS template file ?

erikbojerik

I changed the layout a bit.  The MIDI Designer file can be downloaded here:  http://mididesigner.com/qa/?qa=blob&qa_blobid=6959528768367567059

Elantric

Control your Line-6 HD-500 with Ipad with MIDI Designer app.

BTW - this is the same app that controls the soon to be released Antares 13 pin Floor Pedal (click link here)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7286.0

http://mididesigner.com/community/midi-controller-for-line-6-hd500/

A MIDI Controller for the Line 6 POD HD500 Guitar Multi-Effects Processor

Guitarist and MIDI Designer Pro user François Desnoyers has been one of the most influential people in the MIDI Designer Community. Features from his suggestion list are still being implemented in every MIDI Designer release, and his international French is behind the French App Store text. But as you can see from his layouts, he's serious about making MIDI Controllers, like this one for the Line 6 HD500.

The HD500 does not allow for a lot of MIDI control. Even so, François solves one of the biggest problems with the interface, which is allowing direct, visible access to the presets:

Having to rely on a reference grid to identify presets was not very pleasant. I decided to reproduce most of SETLIST panels on pages.

You can mix and match pages from this layout with those for the Line 6 DT50 Amp Controller. This way you can control both your FX and your amp from the same device. Sweet!

MIDI Controller for iPad for Line6 HD500, 1 of 2

Instructions for Use

Buy MIDI Designer Pro or unlock MIDI Designer Lite
    Check out the instructions, screenshots, a short video and the read me file on the Community Site.
    Long press on the MIDI Designer layout and use "Open In..." to open it in MIDI Designer Pro or Lite unlocked.

http://mididesigner.com/qa/110/call-for-layouts-line6-pod-family-of-controllers?show=513#a513

DT-50 Control is here

Elantric

Also lets not forget Erikbojerik's  VG-99 Control App for iPad  - created using MIDI Designer for iPad

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7231.msg50372#msg50372
http://mididesigner.com/qa/492/call-for-layouts-roland-vg-99

Ed_Saxman

This is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!  :D

This is going to come in handy for my Pod HD500. It's what most people were expecting from Line6, although it seems that they were not interested in developing some sort of iOS editor at all.

I have reproduced the contents of this thread in the Line6 forums , citing this thread and its author, of course. (Elantric and this great forum have become one of the best and most interesting sources of information on a wide variety of things)

Thank you Elantric!!!

cell7

Quote from:  Elantric on May 22, 2013, 12:19:19 PM
Also lets not forget Erikbojerik's  VG-99 Control App for iPad  - created using MIDI Designer for iPad

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7231.msg50372#msg50372
http://mididesigner.com/qa/492/call-for-layouts-roland-vg-99

damn i missed this one. thats awesome :o) Ive got an old ipad1 which will be perfect for this duty!

Elantric

MIDI Designer Pro IOS app mentioned on this thread is on sale. $14.95

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midi-designer-pro/id492291712?mt=8&uo=4&at=11l4Hx

Elantric

http://mididesigner.com/

http://mididesigner.com/home/ultimate-hybrid/

dream | create | play   your perfect MIDI controller

DJ Tech Tools author Chris Brackley recommends MIDI Designer Pro: "loads of flexibility" | "if you like a real hands-on way of working then MIDI Designer Pro will probably be the one for you, for sure."
Recording Magazine Editor Mike Metlay raves that MIDI Designer is
"Plain fun" | "User-friendly" | "Highly configurable"
"Developer support for MIDI Designer is almost scary-fast."
Bill Lacey from Sound on Sound writes, "MIDI Designer Pro takes working with... software instruments to an entirely new dimension..."

Find out the latest MIDI Designer news via Twitter (@MIDIdesigner) or Facebook.
March 26, 2014
MIDI Designer 1.6 Update (1.6.1) is out! More flexible, more playable, more fun!

February, 2014
Famous UK Producer Shadow Child on Why He Loves MIDI Designer!

Dream, create and play your perfect MIDI controller with award winning MIDI Designer: adored by Recording Magazine (July 2013), loved by Sound on Sound (June 2013), featured in Keyboard (May 2013), and awarded Sonic Touch Gold Award for Best App (Episode 11). Trusted on stage by touring acts like Todd Rundgren, POSTYR and Electroband. Used in studios, theaters, VJ and DJ booths all around the world, MIDI Designer is also the platform for community- and professionally-sourced layouts for top-flight gear, including synths by Korg, Roland and Casio. If you can dream it, you can create it in MIDI Designer.

MIDI Designer is easy to learn, intuitive to get around, and clever in every way. Design anything you dare to dream, then switch to performance mode and just play. You won't believe it's not hardware.

Also see: [Demo Video 1 of 2, iPad] | [Demo Video 2 of 2, iPhone/iPod touch]

Control
We have all the controls you need—from piano keys to real, DJ-style crossfaders; from XY pads to drumpads. Set relationships between controls and control groups with supercontrols. Create radio buttons and steppers, hold buttons, crossfade between any controls, and fine-tune relationships to get your rig working exactly how YOU want. Make a fully interactive rig with no scripting, ever.

Design
MIDI Designer controls are glowy, beautiful, and pixel perfect. Lay them out exactly where you want them. Size them as you like, from tiny to huge. Shape them as you need, from fat to skinny. Choose textures, backgrounds and LED colors—or let MIDI Designer choose them for you. Decorate with labels and panels, including Emoji. MIDI Designer is deep, but fast and easy.

MIDI Designer Shown on iPad and iPhone
MIDI
We provide enough control for pros, and enough guidance for beginners. We've thought of everything MIDI—from ensuring unique channel-cc combinations to bidirectional MIDI, up to and including NRPNs and sysex.

MIDI Designer uses Core MIDI. Connect via Wi-Fi, hardware, and use virtual MIDI to control other apps right on your device. Hardware options include the Line 6 MIDI Mobilizer™ II, Apple® iPad Camera Connection Kit, and iConnect MIDI.

The MIDI Designer Community has layouts for popular MIDI devices including Roland, Akai, Korg and Line6 Gear. The Community is growing fast. Contribute to the effort and share your creations. Download and modify one of the many user-designed MIDI controllers, or build your own. See more at the Community Page.

Pedalboards and More
Via the Pedalboards feature, use standard external MIDI hardware to control your unlimited multi-page setup. MIDI Designer is the ultimate hardware-software hybrid. [More About the Ultimate Hybrid]

MIDI Designer Pedalboard 3D Virtual

Other features like presets—save and recall control values instantly—complete the picture. Click to start learning about all MIDI Designer features.

MIDI Designer
dream | create | play

MIDI Designer Pro

- See more at: http://mididesigner.com/#sthash.0oZ160oO.dpuf

This is the official walkthrough video for MIDI Designer, your perfect MIDI controller for iOS. To see what the App is capable of, check out the Community layouts at http://midiDesigner.com/community!

dream | create | play your perfect MIDI controller with award winning MIDI Designer: reviewed and LOVED by Recording Magazine (July 2013), Sound on Sound (June 2013), featured in Keyboard (May 2013), awarded Sonic Touch Gold Award for Best App (Episode 11 and featured in 23), loved by musicians, DJs, VJs, sound engineers, lighting and robotics experts the world over. If you can dream it, you can create it in MIDI Designer. Now available for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.

Find out more at http://midiDesigner.com

Geer

Control your Roland GR55 and another midi instrument pre-sets with the click of just 1 button.

Why?
I own a GR-55 and a Line6 X3 live. When I'm on stage ( at home too), I want to switch pre-sets during or between songs. Handling the two devices took too much time. I would like an app to control the pre-set settings by midi. So I build a template in a free iPad midi program called MidiDesigner 1.7. The free MidiDesigner app is fully functional but has an enoiing white moveable stripe across the screen. If you own an iPad, you can test GR55-X3 midi control layout for free.

The other instrument in this template is the Line6 X3 Live but you could adjust the template to control another midi controlled instrument.

Now its time to share.

Install MidiDesigner on iPad
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midi-designer-pro/id492291712?mt=8
Install the free version (LITE) of the MidiDesigner app. Download my template and mail it to your mail account on your iPad. Open the mail on your iPad and long press the template file. Select 'MidiDesigner' from the app-list popup. MidiDesigner will start and the GR55-X3 v01 will open. Move the white stripe to access all the buttons.

How does it work?
On the GR55 you can select any of the 657 pre-sets you want. The pre-sets on the X3 are limited to the 128 user pre-sets.

The template opens with the the "Navigation Panel"

From here you can select :
PRESETS GR-55+X3 –
This opens the screen for 20 adjustable song/sound controllers for the GR and the X3 simultaneously.

PRESETS X3 Live –
This opens a screen to select one of the 128 user pre-sets on the X3 only.

PRESETS GR-55
Opens the screen to select one of the 297 user pre-sets of the GR-55
Extra buttons to jump directly to the fixed LEAD RYRHM or OTHER pre-sets.

TUTORIAL – Info and instructions for use.

Used midi channels:
GR-55    ch 1
X3         ch 5

iOS 8.1 does not support as many midi interfaces with a USB camera adapter as it used to do. I used the "ALESIS dock 1" and a "ESI nTour" interfaces. They work fine. The "dock 1" does not support SysEx massages. (I think the "dock 2" does.) This template does not use SysEx massages.

Hardware setup:
The midi out from the iPad is connected to midi in of the X3, Midi out/thru of the X3 is connected to midi in of the GR-55.

Feel free to subscribe for comments and feedback.

Tip: After the renaming of the selection buttons, set the template to 'read only'. To do so, tap the 'more' button -> 'Design'-> 'lock' button. make all options active or select 'Design Mode locked' in the config/options screen.

PS1 : In this template you will find some of my user pre-sets adjusted to my gear. This will not give the same sound on your gear.

PS2 : The patch volume slider for the GR-55 works only when the according pre-set in the GR-55 is set to "Patch volume is CC# 80".
To do so, select 'edit' on the GR55, go to 'Master' -> 'Assign' -> tab '4' or higher.

Adjust the parameters to:
SWITCH                ON
TARGET               Patch  Patch level
(last option so it takes a lot of wheel turns to get there)
TARGET MIN        0
TARGET MAX       127
SOURCE             CC80
Source MODE      Moment
ACT RANGE Lo     0
ACT RANGE Hi     127

For more info and instructions, see the tutorial in the template

Click to download GR55-X3 v01.mididesigner
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz6fp9lmXsR-Vm9PclRsVm1uUHAwczVYM0dvTHd2X3lBR1pn/view

I hoop you enjoy this template.

Greetings Geer

Elantric

Thanks for sharing and explaining this useful tool!

supernicd

Thanks for building and sharing this!  Looks nice.  I will download and check it out the next time I work with my GR-55.

That's my understanding as well - that the Alesis IODock II supports SysEx.  However, the fact that they delivered the IO Dock 1 without the ability to pass SysEx [and IMO they weren't very forthcoming about this] lost them a sale on the Dock II for me, and I ended up going with a Focusrite iDock.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

krv4guitar

A big thanks to Geer for sharing the template. I have installed the Midi designer lite and as explained, have succesfully made use of the same to control GR 55.  I am from India and the songs I play require lot of patch changes. Thanks a lot.

Geer

Thank you krvguitar. I hope you will enjoy the template as much as I do.

vablows

I have tried to ask before, but does anyone know if you can use CC commands from an external midi controller to control the CTL button and expression pedal on the GR-55?

I want to use the new Kemper Remote, but I use the CTL & expression pedal's a lot and if I can't control them with CC #'s through the Kemper remote then it is redundant for me because I will still have to have the 55 on the floor just for those 2 pedals.

Toby Krebs

In my limited experience the answer is yes for exp. pedal but no on the ctl. pedal.
I also have to have the GR55 on the floor so I can use the ctl. pedal for holds etc...

Elantric

These GR-55 Controls can be mapped to TRANSMIT MIDI CC

But they do not directly respond to external MIDi CC# Messages sent from other gear

If you use the GR-55 "Hold" command  - you are out of luck - as thats only available directly by the GR-55 CTL Pedal.

Read here for what GR-55 FX Parameters may be setup as Control assignments to be remotely controlled via MIDi MIDI commands

*GR-55 Control Assignments
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10677.0

vablows

I only use the Hold function for 1 song, I can live without it.

Thanks so much for this info!

Elantric

This is the official walkthrough video for MIDI Designer, your perfect MIDI controller for iOS. To see what the App is capable of, check out the Community layouts at http://midiDesigner.com/community!

dream | create | play your perfect MIDI controller with award winning MIDI Designer: reviewed and LOVED by Recording Magazine (July 2013), Sound on Sound (June 2013), featured in Keyboard (May 2013), awarded Sonic Touch Gold Award for Best App (Episode 11 and featured in 23), loved by musicians, DJs, VJs, sound engineers, lighting and robotics experts the world over. If you can dream it, you can create it in MIDI Designer. Now available for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.

Find out more at http://midiDesigner.com
Category

This demo takes a look at MIDI Designer Pro, a powerful controller you can use to create your own templates and layouts for your hardware or software. Topics covered include setting up buttons, knobs, sliders, and XY pads, mapping cc's to your other programs, supercontrols and subcontrols, and one of the latest features added, URL launching.

To download the templates used in the video, please check out
http://www.thesoundtestroom.com/midi-designer-pro-templates
Get MIDI Designer Pro in the App Store

Elantric

TheGrail wrote>
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17206.msg126023#msg126023
I've actually progressed one more level with MIDI control of the 55 since that link was created.

These days, I'm using a program called "MIDI Designer" with an iPad to present me with an array of about 100 buttons that instantly select patches when I touch them. This is overkill for the vast majority of players, but for my brand of totally improvised music, I never know what tone I might want to use, so I need instant access to a massive library. You can see me using it in any of the videos of my band (here's an example - ! No longer available )

I plan to shoot a video that shows how it all works soon.  I'll also upload the MIDI Designer file that I created that has all the buttons with their program changes. I use a Behringer iPad dock which provides MIDI in and OUT in addition to power for the iPad  (I could never do a live performance depending on iPad battery life).

Elantric

http://mididesigner.com/qa/3541/layout-for-the-kemper-modeling-guitar-amp
Layout for the Kemper Modeling Guitar Amp
MIDI Designer is a great solution to for guitarists who want rapid access to commonly used presets and effects when the pedalboard isn't  always convenient. The app is amazingly powerful and so very easy to learn!

admin

https://mididesigner.com/qa/3789/layout-roland-d50
MIDI Target Manufacturer(s): Roland
Summary: As the author tells it:

I bought MidiDesigner specifically to make a layout for my Roland D50, because I was in love with its sound but appalled at its controls, and a PG1000 module costs twice as much as the synth itself... So here it is!

- Controls all 313 parameters editable by Sysex, with the exception of patch names
- Parameters with names instead of numbers as values (for example, the PCM waves and bias settings) all have corresponding named ticks.
- I have split controls for the TVA and TVF into basic and advanced controls - mainly because i couldn't fit all of them on one page.
- A Supercontrol page is added controlling parameters on all 4 partials at once.

Amazing, great control of the D50. Nice work, enjoy!

I bought MidiDesigner specifically to make a layout for my Roland D50, because I was in love with its sound but appalled at its controls, and a PG1000 module costs twice as much as the synth itself... So here it is!

Controls all 313 parameters editable by Sysex, with the exception of patch names
Parameters with names instead of numbers as values (for example, the PCM waves and bias settings) all have corresponding named ticks.
I have split controls for the TVA and TVF into basic and advanced controls - mainly because i couldn't fit all of them on one page.
A Supercontrol page is added controlling parameters on all 4 partials at once.
Updates will follow, as I still want to work on the colors and layout. Hope you enjoy!

Version history:

v1.1 (February 8, 2015):

Added visual Structure selection buttons for Upper and Lower tone
New Colors for Upper and Lower tone pages
Added stepper buttons for PCM waveforms on all partials
Replaced SQU/SAW buttons with a slider on WG page
Several UI tweaks
v1.0.1 (February 3, 2015):

Fixed a few controls that didn't work
Adjusted several default values
Fixed typo in waveform selector
v1.0 (January 25, 2015):