PE60 not working as I'd like with GP10

Started by johnnyninja, September 24, 2014, 08:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyninja

I've been using a PE60 for years with various MultiFX units and it's been excellent. However,  it's not  the best solution with the new synth and acoustic modeling I have available.

I've found some posts where users have added a tweeter and changed out the speaker for something closer to frfr but I have no way to know what the end result would be unless I actually do the mod. I hesitate to go get a couple monitors because the fan noise will compete with the "condo volume" I need to play at. I'm not gigging or jamming with anyone right now so I could use headphones but prefer the amp. I could get desktop monitors, too but their not travel friendly.

So I'm thinking about modding the PE60 and adding my iloud speaker to the setup to fill in the upper range frequency gaps. I think it will work well enough, but I'm looking for any other ideas or solutions That may work.

Ringleader

johnnyninja

That's certainly an option, but probably not the easiest thing to find. Thanks for the link.

merman93

Consider replacing the Celestion with an Eminence Co-ax, and crossover. It still won't be FRFR, but will be closer. I believe Bill Ruppert has posted about installing a seperate tweeter and crossover with impressive results. With the Co-ax, if it isn't to your liking, simply put the Celestion back in.

ELantric has posted a link to the co-ax on the forum.

Good luck.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

Elantric

ELantric has posted a link to the co-ax on the forum.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10439.msg88612#msg88612
Eminence Beta-12CX coax 12" drivers

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EMINENCE-BETA-12CX-12-COAX-WOOFER-W-ASD1001-HORN-DRIVER-/390693654790?pt=US_Speaker_Parts_Components&hash=item5af7281106

http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-beta-12cx-12-coaxial-driver--290-504
Eminence BETA-12CX

SPECIFICATION       
Nominal Basket Diameter   12", 304.8mm
Nominal Impedance*   8 ohms
Power Rating   
Watts   250W
Music Program   500W
Resonance   47Hz
Usable Frequency Range   66Hz-20kHz*
Sensitivity***   96.4
Magnet Weight   38 oz.
Gap Height   0.312", 7.92mm
Voice Coil Diameter   2", 50.8mm

THIELE & SMALL PARAMETERS   
Resonant Frequency (fs)   47Hz   

DC Resistance (Re)   5.57
Coil Inductance (Le)   1.01mH
Mechanical Q (Qms)   6.69
Electromagnetic Q (Qes)   0.51
Total Q (Qts)   0.48
Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)   161 liters / 5.7 cu.ft.
Peak Diaphragm Displacement Volume (Vd)   186cc
Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms)   0.40mm/N
BL Product (BL)   10.0 T-M
Diaphram Mass inc. Airload (Mms)   34 grams
Efficiency Bandwidth Product (EBP)   84
Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)   3.5mm
Surface Area of Cone (Sd)   532.4 cm2   
Maximum Mechanical Limit (Xlim)   10.4mm

Read

http://www.eminence.com/2012/10/great-uses-for-coaxial-products/
DYI STAGE MONITORS
A few years later, my band wanted to get away from in-ear monitors and decided we needed some really good floor monitors.  Again, our coaxials came to mind as a great possibility.  We preferred a 12" woofer for this application, so I decided to use the Beta-12CX and the ASD:1001.  I also wanted to try the same crossover that we used in my home theater project.
Coaxial products for stage monitorsCoax products for stage monitorsBeta 12CX with ASD:1001

Download this cabinet design
Jerry built a test box that was sealed and 1.21 cubic feet.  I was skeptical that a sealed enclosure would produce enough bass.  However, we tested it with a lot of different types of music, and surprisingly, it stayed very clear, tight, and punchy.

This was good news, because it kept the enclosures simple and in a smaller footprint than a ported enclosure would allow.  We also stuffed the box full of fiberglass.  This really cleaned up the mids.  You could certainly use other acoustic absorption materials.  I'm not sure exactly how much we used, and it's basically a preference decision on how much to use.  You need to add material until you're satisfied with how it sounds.  Jerry built 4 enclosures for me and we started using them in the band.

We were very satisfied with the sound quality and how much better we could hear ourselves.  We were actually able to lower our stage volume because we could hear so much better.  Stage volume was always a struggle before.

PXB2:2K5CXThe results were so good that Jerry built more for himself and a close friend that does a lot of sound projects.  We also started sharing the design with customers that we felt could benefit from it.  A local church camp was building a new worship center on their campus and came to us for help on the sound.  We shared the design and they built monitors for their stage.  They also hired one of our customers that designs and builds high-end line arrays to install their front of house.  As they were sound checking the install, our customer heard the monitors and asked us about them.  He was very intrigued and measured their performance with a hand-held spectrum analyzer.  He was blown away by the response curve and said they were nearly perfect without any EQ.  He eventually adopted the design and added it to his own product line.  Jerry and I convinced our sales and marketing to add the crossover to our line.  It's now called the PXB2:2K5CX.

Woofer
http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Beta_12CX.pdf

HF Horn that screws onto the back of the Beta_12CX woofer above
http://www.eminence.com/pdf/ASD1001S.pdf

johnnyninja

Thanks for the info and links guys.

FYI - It's not a permanent solution but running my iLoud speaker in stereo with the PE sounds surprisingly good. It's amazing what you can hack together with spare parts :)