Roland VG-99 PDS stand alternative

Started by Charles Beatty, May 08, 2008, 10:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCRob

Quote from:  Elantric on February 23, 2009, 12:17:16 PM

The APC-33 clamp is basically identical to the the top portion of the PDS-10, with universal clamp

$50 USD

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--ROLAPC33

THIS IS IT!!!!!!   It's an original part, for a fraction of the price!!!!!!  And it's easier to transport, because you can find a pedestal anywhere, the important thing is the clamp...
THANK YOU!!!!

designer

Quote from: cbeattyjr on May 08, 2008, 10:35:20 AM
Does the VG-99 need to be bolted to the $150.00 Roland unit?  This doesn't seem practical for gig use.

What do other people use?

Will a simple snare stand work?

i am in to saving a dime here and there but I am not mounting a $1200 guitar processor to a snare stand. Get the PDS 10 , you wont regret it.

maxdaddy

Here's what I put together... I won't bore you with details about the "construction", but I will point out that all three pieces that went into the mount were already lying around the house.

1. A metal plate was cut from the case to an old SCSI hard drive (the cut is ugly... I did it with a sawzall) to about 12"x5".
2. A standard cast-iron plumbing flange mounts to the plate with four screws, this will cost a couple of dollars in a hardware store.
3. A piece of chrome pipe (from an old shower head) screws into the flange and mounts to a piece of drum hardware.

The whole thing was made from stuff I had on-hand. As shown in the picture of the VG on the mount, I only screw two of the thumb-screws into the VG and it is very secure.

ddlooping

Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

Headless68

I have one of these gorrilla laptop stands and its perfect for the VG-99 & very sturdy
and only cost £19 (new on ebay)  versus £220 for a Roland  PDS stand!

Pin

There is no way a PDS stand costs £220 and that is despite Roland's pretty steep prices. I've seen them for less than £100 although that is too pricey I think for what they are. I paid about £75 for mine (still too expensive) but I ended up rack mounting the VG anyway. You can usually pick them up s/h for about £75 on Ebay but they don't come up all that often in the UK.

Perhaps I should sell the stand but may use it for a drum pad yet.

Anyway, good idea re the Gorilla stand. I have a Gorilla stand for an Axiom Air 25 Controller and they are well made and tough.

Headless68

I just saw the £220 on ebay - didnt bother looking any further than that :-)