VG-99 - Seeking sound guitar of ( Chris Isaac) Wicked Game

Started by donatural, October 08, 2012, 07:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donatural

Hi friends, I'm looking for the sound guitar of wecked game song by Chris Isaac.
Can someone  help me??
Thanks.
PRS custom 24 10 top.
VG99 & GK3.
Cubase 5.

papabuss

Hi donatural
that's funny! I was about posting a patch like this some time ago but I did not know what the band's/songs name was. I'm not sure it was a VG99 patch. Could also have been a GR55 patch but can't find it again at the moment.
It must be a STRAT with "long" PAN DELAY settings, COMPRESSOR and I chose an FULL RANGE AMP and it sounded like Chris Isaac (now I finally know his name again). ;) Perhaps I find it somewhere on my PC.
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

aliensporebomb

I think it can be done.

Check this out:
http://mixonline.com/recording/interviews/audio_chris_isaaks_wicked/

The haunting lead was by Silvertone's guitarist at the time, James Calvin Wilsey; that, too, was painstakingly crafted. Although Wilsey's melody had been written and played with the live tracks, the version that appears on the record was put together from numerous tracks overdubbed over a period of a couple of weeks, then comped and refined piece by piece.

One of the subtly cool sounds on the track is a MIDI'd string sound triggered by the lead guitar. "Jimmy's Strat had a custom MIDI setup," notes Needham, "and he played the underlying string pad that goes along with the guitar. [Keyboardist] Frank Martin also played a little sustaining part along with it. It's the only keyboard part on the song; you hear it like a little drone."

Another striking effect on Wilsey's guitar, which was played through a 1964 Fender Deluxe amp miked with a Shure SM57, is a long, quarter-note, triplet delay that swells up at the end of certain notes. To create it, his mono guitar track was sent to a TC Electronic 2290 for pre-delay, then fed to an Eventide H3000 stereo Rich Chorus program. The effect is that the mono guitar hit swells up into the delay, then spreads out into the stereo chorus to create a kind of pad. Needham rode the effect up at each spot by hand, then automated it and printed onto a track of the MCI.

More later..
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

papabuss

aliensporebomb

Thinking of my memories of that song I NEVER would have guessed so much technical wizardry was involved.  It sounds like a nicely mic'ed strat with some room ambience and maybe some chorusing but wow, that sounds so rootsy warm and tubular and the whole thing is a technical blitzkrieg.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

papabuss

Hi together I think it was this patch I had in mind. But it was a GR55 one and I chose my original Strat (74) (PU MIDDLE) as the only active. (GK3 Lowest position) I could post it under GR 55  NORMAL GUITAR (non GK HEX) PATCHES if anyone is interested.
Of course you can set your personal settings within this patch...(BTW The "GR STRAT" is very close to the original!)
I've added a mp3 sample. (One quick recording/no corrections.. ;))

Elantric

papabuss

donatural

Great soun, Papabuss !! It's just what I wanted. But I have not a GR 55.
I have got only VG99. Thanks anyway.
PRS custom 24 10 top.
VG99 & GK3.
Cubase 5.

papabuss

THX you like it.
But don't worry, donatural. Except the PCM sounds the VG99 must get all the guitar sounds that the GR55 can produce. Perhaps you can start and transfer the parameters of my posted GR55 Isaac Patch in the VG99.

donatural

Fantastic, I did'nt know that GR 55's patches are available for VG99.
Can you say me where I can found it ?

PRS custom 24 10 top.
VG99 & GK3.
Cubase 5.

Elantric

Just to keep your sanity

GR-55 Patches do not work on VG-99

and

VG-99 patches do not work on GR-55

Instead we promote the concept of "patch cloning" , by using the individual Editors for each (Roland VG-99 Editor and Gumtown GR-55 Floorboard)  to load the source patch, and then the user must manually change each parameter to get into the ballpark  - then save the patch and trial an error and minor tweaking to get the task accomplished.

more here:

Patch Cloning
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4087.0

papabuss

Hi donatural,
I just see that I did not explain it clearly enough.
Elantric already mentioned the main points.
You cannot load GR55 files into the VG99 and VG files into the GR.
But if you install GUMTOWN's GR55 (excellent) editor (you need not have a GR55) and load up the GR (g5l) files you can see which settings are active.
In the TOOLS menu you can also write a file (PATCH TEXT SUMMARY) and look up everything. Then you must transfer the data manually (f.e. AMP, EFFECTS, GUITAR etc) into your VG99 and you will come very close to the GR sound.
I've added the GR parameters doc.file for Isaac's patch for you here. Hope I could help you. Good luck!

donatural

PRS custom 24 10 top.
VG99 & GK3.
Cubase 5.

papabuss

Just to help you and everyone from writing too much data when transferring patches from the GR55 to to the VG99 (manually and step by step!). Here's a nice table that Jim Williams posted here some time ago. That's all you need. Forget about the PCM settings..They are not active. ;)

donatural

OK, I passed some parameters of GR55 to VG99, and sound like this...
I have some doubts. When you fill delay and rever parameters you mean MIXER parameters o FX CHAINN effects ? ( Into the software PC VG99 )
PRS custom 24 10 top.
VG99 & GK3.
Cubase 5.

papabuss

I'm just listening to your mp3. Sounds quite good. Perhaps I hear too much CHORUS. Have you set the same settings? The other question about the DELAY and REVERB . I'd set it in the CHAIN section.

donatural

Your set is :
Chorus***********
[Chorus Switch] = On
[Chorus Type] = Mono
[Chorus Rate] = 40
[Chorus Depth] = 50
[Chorus Level] = 0

The chorus level "0" is correct ? I supposed if the value is zero can not be heard.
I left the default value 100.
And de rest of the parameters : Predelay, low cut and high cut ?
Another question : I enabled A/B channels exactly alike. It's correct ?
PRS custom 24 10 top.
VG99 & GK3.
Cubase 5.

papabuss

donatural

Well, I changed chorus's value to 50 and I have set some equalization.
It's de first time I post a patch. Forgive the faults, but I'm excited !
Also attached mp3 with the new sound.
PRS custom 24 10 top.
VG99 & GK3.
Cubase 5.

papabuss

Hi donatural, I see one main difference between the VG- and my GR-file:
Set the PU of the STRAT to CENTER and the tone to 100. Good luck.