GR-55 Bass - John Wetton Style Bass

Started by shawnb, March 07, 2013, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnb

I'm aiming for a '70s era King Crimson John Wetton patch - Red & USA albums.   Very similar to gumtown's P-Bass patches, but with a touch of gain & EQ, to emulate John's grainy edge.   

The Ctl button turns on the MILD DS for a bit more of an edge, almost Asbury Park-ish, but less bright.  (The Asbury Park sound is very bright and perfect for what it is!  I'm not sure I could emulate that & get away with it...  That's a special track.)  The .mp3 sample includes with & with out the distortion. 

With the distortion on, it sounds a bit like Tool's bassist as well.  I'm sure the similarity is not accidental. 

As with the other patches I share, I'll rev this over time as improvements are made. 

Feedback & suggestions for improvements welcome! 

Shawn
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

molul

Thanks for the patch, shawnb. I'm currently listening King Crimson more than ever because I'm reading the biography, and this reminds me of "Red". I'm looking forward to coming back home and trying it!

aliensporebomb

Yep, that's the KC 1974-1975 JW bass sound all right.  Excellent.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

mbenigni

QuoteI'm currently listening King Crimson more than ever because I'm reading the biography

Are you referring to Bill Bruford's autobiography?

molul

Quote from: mbenigni on July 25, 2013, 06:56:55 AM
Are you referring to Bill Bruford's autobiography?
Nope, it's one written by a spanish guy (I'm spanish, by the way :P). But when I finish it I might take a look to Bruford's even if it's only in english.