Boss Katana Amps - FAQ

Started by Elantric, September 09, 2016, 08:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooncaine

vtgearhead

Quote from: Elantric on December 31, 2016, 07:15:53 AM
I need to  determine if the Katana 100 combos can be populated with the missing MIDI IN jack. ( I feel confident the missing 5 pin  MIDI Input jack is on the Combo internal PCB, just not populated 

Just need time to get both my Katana Head and Katana 100-112 combo chassis on the bench and take pics and document a "DIY MIDI IN" for Katana Combos 

It requires a few parts ) Optocoupler IC, and some SMD caps / resistors

and 50 years experience with electronics ;)

And the good fortune to find that they don't have an id jumper or EEPROM entry to tell the firmware exactly which model it's running on.

mooncaine

Quote from: snhirsch on December 31, 2016, 06:17:30 AM
There's enough room inside the combo enclosure to mount a single-board computer.  If I hadn't already built my outboard gear into a rack, that's where it would have gone.
You make a good point. I have a MIDX-10 and no real plan to use it for anything in particular. I could duct-tape it to the inside of my Mustang III's open back enclosure (and I expect I could do similarly with a Katana combo). I'd still have to keep track of 1 more cable, and need one more outlet.

vtgearhead

Quote from: mooncaine on December 31, 2016, 12:52:41 PM
You make a good point. I have a MIDX-10 and no real plan to use it for anything in particular. I could duct-tape it to the inside of my Mustang III's open back enclosure (and I expect I could do similarly with a Katana combo). I'd still have to keep track of 1 more cable, and need one more outlet.

I use velcro or 3M dual-lock for mounting devices inside cabinets.  Much stronger than duct tape and restricts the sticky stuff to the bottom of the unit.

Paresh

I'm wondering how the Katana compares with the best Boss multi-fx units?? Would they ever make a tabletop version for studio recording, or is it the head + speakers that gives it a better response?
paresh

Elantric

The big deal with Katana Amps is the wide dynamic range and clean headroom, and the fact that the most distorted "LEAD" settings clean up for use as Clean Rhythm when the Guitar Volume is backed down to "3" - just like a genuine Tube amp does   

admin

Quote from: SeeMoore, post: 23363800, member: 94352 questions:
1. Is the wah good enough to warrent getting an expression pedal.
probably not worth it for wah alone,  - but an EV-5 Expression works great as a remote Master volume - with GA-FC

Quote2. Anyone know where to get a longer stereo cable for the footswitch.

the Roland GA-FC 6 button footswitch uses a Standard TRS 1/4" stereo cable

https://www.amazon.com/CBI-BL2A-Cable-Foot-Balanced/dp/B0013MMTM6

Elantric

Katana Amp supports these different FX order options

Idgolfguy

General query regarding the Aux In...

While I understand that it accepts Stereo plugs (TRS), would I damage the input preamp if I use a Mono plug (TS)?

I intend to use the Aux In from the Left/Mono output of the GP-10 directly into Aux In of the KatHd.

Elantric

davep2000

I tried the Katana head today
Good level of volume from the 5w internal speaker for practice
Then I plugged the line out into a Bose Tone match, L1 line array and B2 sub
It's very noisy with a constant hum
Strats are terrible, Pauls etc are quieter
The sales rep was trying all sorts of guitars but the hum remained
Brown sound is Van Halen from the 1984 album
But I'll give the Katana head a miss thanks
I was very surprised, and disappointed  :o
I'll stick with the GP-10 and GT-001 into my Bose array
Small footprint and less to carry  :)

vtgearhead

How were you connecting the amp to the Bose system? Sounds like you had a good, old-fashioned ground loop. 

Idgolfguy

Gents, have the Kat H and have been looking for a speaker cab.

Saw a used K50 for about $200 AU. Seems like a cheap option - any thoughts on how that box will handle the head.

It seems like overkill but it's an option. Currently using my DSL2000 2x12 with the amp removed.

Been considering the Yamaha THRC 1x12 but it's twice the price!

Idgolfguy

Pulled the pin and bought it. Will test it to see if it works well enough as a cab - its light enough and can work as a backup.

If I don't like it, it can sit in my son's room for him to doodle on  it. He's currently got a Behringer V-Ampire 2x10 LX. May even try that as cab.

davep2000

Quote from: snhirsch on January 22, 2017, 02:31:03 PM
How were you connecting the amp to the Bose system? Sounds like you had a good, old-fashioned ground loop.

Yes I'm aware of ground loop issues
The sales rep had it connected from line out to Tone Match input 1 set to flat eq
The hum didn't disappear when you touched the strings, it was just there
He tried everything he could think of. He used to be a product demonstrator for Roland
He also hinted about a future product that included modelling, but without the GK pick up
But he wouldn't tell me  ;)
I can hear the hum on Tom Quayles review when he uses it through a 4x12 cab too
I've read other reviews and the hum has been mentioned, and adding a noise gate etc
I'm downsizing my gear, so the head looked like a good option
I've still got Marshall 9200, JMP-1 and Valvestate equipment
The hum from a sizzling tube is different though
I don't expect it from solid state
I've had Zoom, Line 6 and Boss MFX
I've currently got the GP-10 and the Bose array for size and weight
The Katana head wasn't for me  :)

admin

QuoteI don't expect it from solid state

Ground loop noise from modern switching power supply's manifest as harsh white noise - not "hum" 

Ground Loop noise can occur in any type audio system (Tube, Transistor, DSP, etc)

Fix your Audio Ground Loop Buzzes and Noises
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2078.0

davep2000

Brown channel at 14 mins 17 secs is the sound

Then Line Out into PA to make the hum/buzz louder, even when you're not playing
And the guy says to get a noise gate at 18:35

jwhitcomb3

Any word when/if Boss will make Katana Tone Studio work under Mac Sierra?

Elantric

Its on the agenda - no release date though

As a heavy Audio  / MIDI gear user,  I remain in the camp that believes the only time to consider upgrading your Mac OS is in August of each year - only at that time you might consider upgrading to the prior years version of mac Operating System released the prior September  - but always review your  application requirements for which OS is working with your Hardware and software.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacOS

Its been this way for 20 years and I've never been able to run the "very latest version of OSX" - because of  many known incompatibilities with my hardware and apps.

Elantric

QuoteBrown channel at 14 mins 17 secs is the sound

Then Line Out into PA to make the hum/buzz louder, even when you're not playing

Solve it with this

Idgolfguy

Quote from: Idgolfguy on January 22, 2017, 11:49:51 PM
Pulled the pin and bought it. Will test it to see if it works well enough as a cab - its light enough and can work as a backup.

If I don't like it, it can sit in my son's room for him to doodle on  it. He's currently got a Behringer V-Ampire 2x10 LX. May even try that as cab.

Looks good!

admin

QuoteI've heard claims that you can have the same effect (e.g. chorus) in both slots with different parameters for each.

True

"Booster / MOD" Chorus

Here is the Katana Left FX knob "Boost / Mod" with Chorus assigned to the "MOD" section

"DELAY/FX" Chorus

Here is the Katana Middle FX knob "Delay / FX" with a different Chorus assigned to the "FX" section

Elantric

Katana Speaker types

50 watt combo ( 8 ohm)

100-112 combo (8 ohms)

100-212 combo (16 ohms)

( . )( . )

Any idea what Boss charges for these speakers?

Elantric

Roland / Boss Speakers I find to be Very expensive

$150 each for the 100 watt Katana Speaker