Happy Birthday Jeff Beck

Started by Spiritinthesky, June 24, 2014, 01:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spiritinthesky

Happy Birthday Jeff Beck, born on this day 24th June 1944. His album Blow By Blow should be in everyones collection!

More here: http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/jeff_beck

Cricket

+1

And Wired.   Two albums I have never, ever gotten sick of.

Back in the 70s, I had a music teacher who would loan me albums out of the huge collection in his office.   One day, I picked up Wired and asked him if it was good.  He told me:  "Take that one home and keep it.  You need that one."

Just recently I saw him and thanked him (again) for the gift.  some debts can never quite be repaid. 

Elantric

Rhcole

Rock on, Jeff! I still admire your Yardbird's solos!
Given how many great musician's we have lost this year, I feel like we should all send him bottles of vitamins!

mchad

Autana

Quote from: mchad on May 19, 2016, 05:00:17 PM
70+ and the guy just refuses to conform.

Yeah! I hope continues to refusing, there are artists who a lifetime is not enough to bring out all of their message. Jeff Beck fortunately is one of them, and perhaps he says the same of Toots Thielemans, the extraordinary and unique harmonica player, who at 94 years old, is still active and lucid.

GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Elantric

70+ and the guy just refuses to conform.

"Good Conformist" is the last thing I'd want on my tombstone, just saying.

Autana

Hahaha,  agree,  I could prefer my ashes drawn on the air this phrase:"Always at odds P.I.T.A"
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Elantric

pasha811

People Get Ready was so great for me...
In this version the Guitar it's like a human being...
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Autana

Jeff Beck's new song, "Scared for the Children," off his upcoming album 'Loud Hailer,' is now streaming.

Hear Jeff Beck's Hendrix-Inspired New Ballad 'Scared for the Children'
Pensive track will appear on guitarist's upcoming album 'Loud Hailer'

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-jeff-becks-hendrix-inspired-new-ballad-scared-for-the-children-20160630

Jeff Beck's new song, "Scared for the Children," off his upcoming album 'Loud Hailer,' is now streaming.
- Ross Halfin -

Jeff Beck plays a thoughtful, bright guitar line through the ballad "Scared for the Children," a track off his upcoming album Loud Hailer, which will come out on July 15th. Meanwhile, vocalist Rosie Bones – who, along with her Bones bandmate Carmen Vandenberg, wrote the album with Beck – sings about "the end of the Age of the Innocent." As the song unfolds, Beck plays a pensive, fluid solo full of spiraling, Hendrix-y blues licks and trembling, expressive highs. Rolling Stone previously called "Scared for the Children" "the album's standout."

When Beck announced Loud Hailer, he said that he wanted it to "make a statement about some of the nasty things I see going on in the world today." "Scared for the Children," he says, dovetails perfectly into that theme. "The message is fairly clear," Beck tells Rolling Stone of the song. "Rosie interpreted my thematic brief, with regard to modern youth being dumbed down by endless drivel on TV."

He went deeper on the musical side of the song in another interview that will come out in Rolling Stone next month. When asked about why the song contained strong echoes of Hendrix, he said the influence "inadvertently" came out that way. "It's [Hendrix's] 'Angel' ... there's no escape," Beck said. "I've never loved Hendrix more than I do now."

Beck has previously said that he intended Loud Hailer to signal a departure from "guitar nerd" albums. In addition to drafting Bones and Vandenberg as collaborators to write songs that complemented vocals more, Beck sought out other influences including that of Brazilian electronic artist Amon Tobin. "I've been listening to some really deep club stuff from Ibiza, and I've been thinking, 'What a waste of a good drum sound,'" he said at a press conference. He also cited Kurdish music as an inspiration.

The guitarist will also be putting out a photo book and memoir, Beck01, on July 15th, and he will be hitting the road with Buddy Guy for a run of dates in July and August.

Additional reporting by David Fricke.

Jeff Beck Announces New Studio Album 'Loud Hailer'

http://radio.com/2016/05/19/jeff-beck-announces-new-studio-album-loud-hailer/
By Jeff Cornell

Guitar legend Jeff Beck will release a new album titled Loud Hailer. The 11-track effort will arrive on July 15.

Loud Hailer, which is another name for a megaphone, is Beck's first new album in six years. It features an all-new band including British singer Rosie Bones and guitarist Carmen Vandenberg, who wrote the majority of the songs with Beck. While there are vocals on the majority of the effort fans will be happy to know that there are two signature Jeff Beck instrumentals titled "Pull It" and "Edna."

Related: Jeff Beck adds tour dates

The two-time Rock and Roll Hall of Famer explains: "I really wanted to make a statement about some of the nasty things I see going on in the world today, and I loved the idea of being at a rally and using this loud device to shout my point of view." The album's first single, "Live In The Dark," will be released soon.

Shortly after the release of Loud Hailer, Beck will launch a summer tour of the U.S. with blues legend Buddy Guy on July 19 in Port Chester, New York. The outing will see Beck make his Hollywood Bowl debut along with Guy and more special guests. The special concert will feature a career-spanning set that celebrates Beck's 50 years in music with an orchestra. "It will be head teacher Beck in a gown and mortar board in front of the class giving everyone a history lesson," he joked.

Jeff Beck has also been hard at work on his first official book, BECK01. The signed, limited edition book highlights Beck's love of hot rodding and rock 'n' roll. Legendary jazz guitarist John McLaughlin wrote the forward in the book and calls Beck his "all-time favorite guitarist." BECK01 be available on July 12.

Loud Hailer Track Listing:

"The Revolution Will Be Televised"
    "Live In The Dark"
    "Pull It"
    "Thugs Club"
    "Scared For The Children"
    "Right Now"
    "Shame"
    "Edna"
    "The Ballad Of The Jersey Wives"
    "O.I.L."
    "Shrine"

- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Elantric

Rock guitarist Jeff Beck drove a restored 1932 Ford to Mel's Drive-In in West Hollywood on Monday to take part in a book release event for the publication of his book "BeckO1," showcasing his dual passions for guitars and vintage cars. (Jay L. Clendenin/Los Angeles Times)

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-jeff-beck-hollywood-bowl-20160804-snap-htmlstory.html

BECK01 Book
http://www.genesis-publications.com/Jeff-Beck-Hot-Rods-and-Rock-and-Roll-The-Signed-Limited-Edition/default.htm
http://www.genesis-publications.com/beck01-book-deuce-day

In an original text spanning more than 350 pages, Beck shares anecdotes from his childhood; early bands; The Yardbirds; the Jeff Beck Groups; Beck, Bogert and Appice; and his multi-award-winning solo career.

'Right from the beginning, I've tried to do something with anything I've got hold of. At the age of 13, I built two or three of my own guitars. I painted the frets on. It was fun just to look at it and hold it. I knew where I was headed. Jeff Beck

Read stories of disappearing hot rods, stolen guitars, secret studio sessions and near-catastrophic car crashes. Beck tells of playing with Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Wonder, Jimmy Page, Ronnie Wood, Eric Clapton, John McLaughlin, Tina Turner, Rod Stewart, Diana Ross, Scotty Moore, Pete Townshend and many more. His new limited edition is introduced by guitar virtuoso John McLaughlin.

'When asked to write the introduction to this book about Jeff, I thought to myself who better? So I wrote, "Jeff Beck is my all time favorite electric guitarist"... What do I say after that?' John McLaughlin

Elantric