Best OS dedicated to editing software not recording software?

Started by Chumly, June 13, 2014, 01:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chumly

Hi y'all,

I am going to relegate my four year old Win7 Acer Aspire laptop expressly for the purpose of running editing software for my Roland VG-99, Roland GR-55, Roland GR-30, Boss RC-50 Pod XT, Pod HD-500, Boss GT-10, Zoom G3, Behringer FCB1010 Uno, Roland JV1010, Roland XP-50, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, MIDISport 8X8s, Casio WK-7500, Casio PX-5S, Korg Kronos x 61, Fishman TriplePlay, Behringer BCR2000, Roland Octa-Capture, Roland FC-300, & Line 6 Spider Jam.

Which of the following OS's is most likely to be most compatible with all the aforementioned devices' editing software?

Windows XP
Windows 7
Windows 8

IIRC the VG-99's drivers are not as easily compatible with Win8 as with Win7 and this may alsbe the case with some of the other older devices as listed above, I am not sure.

I know I could dual boot as required so as to enable multiple OS's but I would rather not have that hassle if a single OS will cover all my device editing software needs. I will not be using this laptop for recording or other demanding purposes.

Obliged,

Chum
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Chumly

It's a four year old Acer Aspire 5738-6353 and it came factory pre-loaded with Win7 and it runs that well with 4 GB for basic usages. The only downside to using it is that the LCD died (not sure if it's the inverter or the back-light) so I'd have to use it with a spare LCD monitor, that kind'a stinks in terms of convenience and space savings though  :'(  :'(
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Chumly

Possible happiness update as it turns out that Fn+F6 enables/disables the LCD and upon further Googling resetting the BIOS appears to alleviated this problem, so we'll see how things progress.

musicman65

I'd say XP or Win7 would be your best choice today. Your older notebook may not have driver support in Win8 even if your editing software runs. Any of the 3 may be ok with some effort.

Kevin M

Win 7 if you'll have it network enabled. No more XP support means it's a potential target for malware and more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk