Its Godin sale season at Amazon.com

Started by Mark.A.Forrester@lmco.com, November 30, 2011, 07:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Here's a useful tool - CamelCamelCamel - tracks prices at Amazon and sends email alerts
(Thanks to VADE for mentioning this price tool!)
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Godin-Solid-3-Voice-Electric-Guitar/product/B001QCXSBY?context=browse

Review the price data for past month  - This discontinued Godin A10 model was bouncing between $488 and $526 Jan 20-23 at Amazon.com

OTHERS
Godin LGXT was $879 on Sept 18, 2014 (Amazon Back to School Sale)

Godin Spectrum SA MultiAC Steel String  was $704 on Oct. 31, 2014 (Amazon Halloween Sale)

Elantric

Godin A10 - back on sale for $472

The Good: Latest RMC Piezo 13pin electronics

The Bad: - Due to the 10 strings, this has an extremely wide neck, but its extremely thin - around 0.75" thick.   

http://www.amazon.com/Godin-Guitars-038220-Black-Electric/dp/B00IR79RNO/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1435166518&sr=1-1&refinements=p_8%3A591659011%2Cp_89%3AGodin+Guitars

The A10 is a very unique special short run 10 String Acoustic Electric from the Godin. The A10 is built on the framework of the ACS-SA model that features a thicker piece of cedar for the top and a chambered maple body. This guitar is designed to have the high tripled high E & B strings tuned in unison. The result is an amazing shimmer effect when strumming chords and a thick almost chorus like effect when playing leads. The "width" of the effect can be manipulated by detuning one of the 3 strings. This is a really interesting and unique instrument. Only one batch was made and most were delivered outside of the USA. The A10 blends classical guitar concepts with elements of solid body design. The incredibly comfortable neck from the Multiac Nylon is used here with a Maple body to achieve our most affordable synth access guitar ever. Although the body is chambered, response from the cedar top is more typical of a solid body design than that of a traditional acoustic guitar. This design results in an instrument that is virtually free of feedback, making it easy to use even when the band gets loud. The engine in the A10 includes individual transducer saddles powered by a customized preamp system from the RMCTM Pickup Company. This system not only produces superb amplified sound, but also produces a hex aphonic output through a 13-pin connector enabling direct access to Roland GR-Series guitar synthesizers.

mapperboy

Re: Nylon ACS-SA -Love my copy, such great response from the RMC Hex'es into a GR-55 and/or VG-99. The ebony fingerboard and 1 7/8 width makes it a joy to play especially for us fingerpickers!
"No such thing as spare time.
No such thing as free time.
No such thing as down time.
All you got is life time. Go!"
- Henry Rollins

Elantric

QuoteThe ebony fingerboard and 1 7/8 width makes it a joy to play especially for us fingerpickers!

This A10 is Wider, 1.9 inches Nut width!

http://www.godinguitars.com/godina10p.htm
Specs
Mahogany neck
Richlite® Fingerboard
16" fingerboard radius
25 1/2" Scale
1.9" nut width
Chambered Silver Leaf Maple body (Black HG) & Mahogany body (Natural SG).
Solid Cedar Top.
Custom RMC electronics with 13-pin connector for direct control of Roland GR Series and Axon AX100 guitar synths. .
Natural Semi-Gloss & Black High-Gloss.

billv055

kenact

Quote from: billv055 on June 24, 2015, 08:27:32 PM
Showing $603  now, not $472.

That's still less than half of what anyone else is selling it for. If I had the money right now....
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

mapperboy

Know what you mean, it's the Amazon day-by-day Roulette wheel !!! Must be interesting to work as one of their buyer web price setters.  Just as fluid as local supermarket food 'specials'.
Is this web attraction strategy marketing ?
Wonder who Amazon's partner supplier is or do they warehouse Godin instruments themselves ?
- Henry Rollins

kenact

It's not $472, but at $582.51, I couldn't pass it up. Of course, if it goes back down to $472, I may be upset, but not too much. :)
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

kenact

And now, sitting in my living room.  8)
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

Elantric

Ken,
Play it a while and post your thoughts/experience as another Godin A10 owner.

kenact

Will do Elantric. First thing I have to do is a little adjustment. The neck is a slightly back bent. I probably won't have a chance to try it with the GR-55 or the VG-8ex until Sunday. If I get enough time with it, I'll probably take it out to a gig in about a week.
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

kenact

Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

Chumly

Quote from: Elantric on June 24, 2015, 10:23:24 AMThe Bad: - Due to the 10 strings, this has an extremely wide neck, but its extremely thin - around 0.75" thick.
Which do you consider to be bad and why, the width or the thickness?
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Elantric

Both. I prefer necks that are 0.85" - 1.00" inch thick and 1 7/8 wide at the Nut.

The poor tracking is from having three slightly out of tune strings at high E,B positions

My point is budget a new neck if you want to make this a playable , more versatile 6 string guitar

Elantric

CBHScott

Now $526.46...

I wonder, string spacing aside, if you could remove one or even two of the unison strings without affecting the stability of the neck?

Elantric

QuoteNow $526.46...

I wonder, string spacing aside, if you could remove one or even two of the unison strings without affecting the stability of the neck?

I'm sure this its possible - its a double action truss rod so use care and only 1/4 turn each day.

http://www.godinguitars.com/Double%20Action%20truss%20rod%20adjustment.pdf

I have big hands, and thought of shaving the neck / fingerboard width.

But a stock A10 gets good reaction from the cork sniffers in my town, who come up to me after playing the first set at a Wine tasting vineyard patio "Acoustic" gig say:
Thats an amazing looking instrument, played by an amazing musician !

So there is more mojo keeping the A10 stock.

But at $525 each, buy two A10's  and shave the neck width down on one for a 6 string conversion

kenact

I finally got around to adjusting the neck, which was a little back bent. After stretching and tuning until the strings were stabile, I plugged it into a GR-20. for the most part, it seems to react much like my other 13 pin guitars, even on the tripled E & B strings.

Using some of the piano patches, it did seem as though the E & A had a little trouble figuring out when to trigger. I didn't think it glitched wrong notes any more than my other guitars, but trying to play something like the piano intro from Joe Cocker's The Letter, the E & B didn't always trigger when they should have.

More testing to come.
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

mapperboy

Elantric or kenact,
Since you both now have examples of the A10:
Did RMC provide a special wide saddle piezo pu for those two top E and B strings, or mill three notches in their std width piezos to accomodate those extra strings? I expect that the RMC preamp is the same as what being used in the 6 string models. Might get it just to upgrade the 2005 edition of my RMC preamp by swapping it out.  Those pre 2009 RMC preamps suffered from a phase cancellation (attenuation effect) especially on some GR-55 patches using certain PCM sounds and when sounding strings in unison.
- Henry Rollins

Elantric

Quotemill three notches in their std width piezos to accomodate those extra strings?

THIS ^
See detailed pics of RMC bridge in prior posts
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4946.msg98380#msg98380

The Guitar is basically a Godin Multiac, but with less costly materials - no binding and less "bling"  - but same great RMC electronics ( One GK13 Out and one 1/4" mono Piezo Out.) and sound (possibly better sounding guitar than many Multiac due to the Godin A10's  thin satin paint - which I prefer as this allows the woods in the instrument to "sing"  - and not sound dead and dampened under too many thick coats of high gloss paint.

Elantric

QuoteI expect that the RMC preamp is the same as what being used in the 6 string models. Might get it just to upgrade the 2005 edition of my RMC preamp by swapping it out.  Those pre 2009 RMC preamps suffered from a phase cancellation (attenuation effect) especially on some GR-55 patches using certain PCM sounds and when sounding strings in unison.

If I owned an older pre 2011 Steel String Godin Multiac, Id consider buying the A10 at Amazon for $535, unbolting the A10 neck and install the 6 string neck from my old Godin.

mapperboy

Many thanks for that detail. As often happens with Amazon's product postings the product details are bot generated (from either the manufacturer or other pages) so the details are inconsistent.  In this case description next to the guitar image says Mahogany neck with Ebony fingerboard, solid Mahogany body and Spruce top. But then at the bottom of the page under Product Description (copied from Godin?) it says Cedar top on Maple body, no mention of fingerboard.  What else distinguishes yours as having  'less costly materials' beside lack of binding and decoration, does your example have an Ebony or Richlite fingerboard?.  From your photo you have the natural finish cedar top.  The Amazon deal is for the Black Pearl finish top and back and sides I assume.  Just wondering if there's something about that Black Pearl finish model because all the other online dealers are still selling the natural finish top A10s for between $1300-1500. Sorry if I've added to the confusion on the A10, I'm always question heavy when contemplating a web purchase.
- Henry Rollins