GR-55 - Nashville Jazz

Started by jwhitcomb3, May 01, 2011, 08:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwhitcomb3

WARNING: SPECIAL GUITAR TUNING REQUIRED!!!!

Based on a discussion in another topic, I strung the guitar with E-A-D one octave up:  string gauges (hi E to low E:) 10-13-17-11-15-24

The purpose of this was to see if this tuning would improve the tracking speed on the low strings. It does.

I usually set up with a user alternate tuning dropping the E-A-D strings one octave down (for some patches I use standard tuning, and then drop the bass PCM tone assigned to the E-A-D strings by one octave).  I had lots of fun setting up patches with bass on the low strings and piano on the higher string (a little cross fading in the middle strings). It was also fun to play regular keyboard and horn patches this way to get nice close chord voicings (of course, you can do that without re-stringing the guitar just with a user tuning, or the nashville tuning). For this it was best to use jazz chord voicings, because basic major/minor chords otherwise doubled two or three notes. The combination bass/piano patches don't work wonderfully for strumming. I use a hybrid picking style (pick between thumb and index finger, pluck with the other fingers). This way I use my pick for the bass and my fingers for the keyboard.

The CTL usually toggles PCM tone numbers for a little variety. I have the system GK Vol set to "Patch Setting" so I can use the EXP pedal for the bass volume and the GK volume for the keyboard/guitar volume. The EXP switch sometimes brings in an L4 or 335 guitar, or may toggle auto-pan for electric piano.

Please post if you try these out - I'd like to hear what you think, or what improvements you came up with!

Thanks,

Jonathan

bobdullam

does tuning the lower strings improve tracking on something like the grand piano patch? I've messed with it, got it to track somewhat better, but it still seems to mis fire sometimes. Also, do or have you ever gotten that sort of out-of-phase effect from using the gr-55 alternate tuning? . I created a patch using the frank gambale tuning, which is sort like the nashville tuning, sounds good, but there is an effect like the original tuning is sort of bleeding through. There is a discussion on another thread about this.

jwhitcomb3

Yes, stringing the guitar up in Nashville tuning does speed up the tracking of the lower strings, but even so, it's not perfect.

Most of the COSM alternate tunings seem to give me some bleed through, but that's mostly because I don't play very loud, so I'm just getting interference between the speakers and the unplugged acoustic sound of my guitar.

Mostly, I just like the chord voicings I get from Nashville tuning, particularly with jazz chords.