Roland Sound Canvas VA (Win / OSX)

Started by Elantric, January 05, 2016, 01:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

recently seen on IPAD  - now a version for Windows and  OSX

Roland Sound Canvas VA (Win / OSX)

http://www.roland.com/products/sound_canvas_va/
THE LEGENDARY SOUND CANVAS, REBORN AS A DAW PLUG-IN FOR WINDOWS AND MAC.
First introduced in 1991, the Roland Sound Canvas series has long been the de-facto standard in GS sound modules. With the Sound Canvas VA, you can now use this classic sound source with your DAW music productions as a VSTi or AU plug-in. It comes with over 1,600 high-quality sounds, plus 64 different insert effects, global effects like reverb and EQ, and extensive sound editing capabilities. Also included are sound maps to perfectly play MIDI music files created on the SC-88 Pro and other hardware Sound Canvas sound modules. Combining classic sounds with current technology, the Sound Canvas VA is the modern evolution of a long-running benchmark.

GS-compatible virtual instrument plug-in with support for Windows and Mac
Includes 1,600 high-quality sounds and 63 drum kits that cover nearly every musical genre
Each plug-in instance supports 16 parts and up to 64 notes of polyphony
Tone Editor and Effect Editor functions enable you to fine-tune sounds in great detail
Supports host DAW automation for a variety of parameters
The Gold Standard in GS Sound Modules

Based on the Roland SC-series hardware modules, the Sound Canvas VA is a GS-compatible software synth with support for VSTi (Windows and Mac) and AU (Mac) plug-in formats. Included are 1,600 popular sounds and 63 drum sets that are ready to play, and a single plug-in instance supports 16 parts with up to 64 notes of polyphony. Multiple instances can be used, with the only limit being your computer's processing power. The plug-in also comes with SC-8820, SC-88 Pro, SC-88, and SC-55 sound maps, allowing you to replay files that were originally created with those Sound Canvas hardware modules.*
* The Sound Canvas VA is not designed to play Standard MIDI Files (SMF). Depending on the data in your music files and how it's processed with the host application, the mix balance, tone, and timing may vary slightly from the sound of the original hardware.
Tone Editor for Customizing Sounds

Included with the Sound Canvas VA is a powerful Tone Editor for adjusting sounds in fine detail. The graphical interface makes it simple to create original tones using filters, envelopes, and numerous GS sound parameters. You can also store the sounds you create and quickly load favorites from your custom library when you begin a new project.
A Wide Selection of Built-In Effects

To enhance your sounds, the Sound Canvas VA comes with 64 types of insert effects, plus global reverb, chorus, delay, and EQ. With the Effect Editor, you can easily adjust them all via an intuitive interface. Many effects parameters support automation through your DAW, and it's possible to save and recall effects settings in your projects. Each plug-in supports one insert effect , and you can open multiple plug-in instances to use additional insert effects on different tracks as needed.
Reminders

Depending on your host application, system exclusive messages contained in MIDI tracks might not be supported with VSTi or AU plug-ins.
The Sound Canvas VA plug-in must initialize its parameters and read various settings when it loads, and this may take about 15 seconds for each plug-in instance. For example, if you're using four Sound Canvas VA plug-in instances in a project, it may take approximately one minute to load all the plug-ins when you open the file (four plug-ins at 15 seconds each). The actual times may vary depending on your computer's performance and setup.
No plugin bridge will enable to run 32bit SOUND Canvas VA on 64bit OS/DAW environment.

Kevin M

Sounds like a regurgitation of the Edirol Hyper Canvas plugin.

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/hypercanvas_by_edirol

Elantric

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6336792

QuoteRoland wrote:
if you're using four Sound Canvas VA plug-in instances in a project, it may take approximately one minute to load all the plug-ins when you open the file (four plug-ins at 15 seconds each)

alexmcginness

Quote from: Kevin M on January 05, 2016, 01:58:19 PM
Sounds like a regurgitation of the Edirol Hyper Canvas plugin.

I can confirm this is not the Edirol hyper canvas or the old VSC-1. I bought this and I have a hardware SC-88 pro. The sounds are identical to the hardware. The only difference is that some of the patches in the software are mapped to the incorrect sound bank. For example the hardware SC-99 pro fingered bass in the 88 pro map is mapped to the software SC-99 map. The drums in the pld VSC were weak. The new software is identical to the hardware.
  When you add in all the new pages for tweaking patches this is a great piece of software. One thing you cant do with the software that you can do with the hardware is set the recieve channel for each part to the same midi channel for making stacked sounds. Hey, I can live without that function.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

shawnb

Wow, same sounds as the SC-88?   Pretty sure that means a pretty good chunk of the SC-880...   Very tempting...
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Chumly

Coincidentally I just bought this for my iPad Air 2.  I used to do my solo act and used two hardware Roland JV1010 sound modules controlled by a laptop with SMF's, this app seems like a good way to get a similar result in a more accessible format.  I did not do any research prior to purchase, so this thread is timely. 
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

jassy

I also use a jv1010, how it sounds compared to the jv?

Mauri60

Quote from: shawnb on January 05, 2016, 07:24:33 PM
Wow, same sounds as the SC-88?   Pretty sure that means a pretty good chunk of the SC-880...   Very tempting...
Hi shawnb.
After reading this i cannot resist and download immediately demo.
Sounds are good, truly good, and bank is very balanced.
i start my midi experiences almost from beginning, and sound canvas was a milestone and a reference for midifile programmers, trust me , i test a ton of soundfonts in my life i have a collection of banks, but only a few ones may worth a try. i use a VSC bundled with my old daughter board Roland nowadays when i have to test a midifile and i need alternative from my kawaii gmega ( hardware ).
i listen midifiles played with commercial ( hypersonic, hypercanvas  and other free banks and i come back everytime to my old VSC )
I'm doing a little thought to buy it soon.
it works fine into a daw ( reaper ) and stand alone with savihost, and i may say that 32bit version works fine bridged into reaper, i have win 10 64 bit and reaper 64 bit...
Nothing is impossible,if someone else will do for you.

jassy

Quote from: Mauri60 on January 06, 2016, 09:02:07 AM

it works fine into a daw ( reaper ) and stand alone with savihost, and i may say that 32bit version works fine bridged into reaper, i have win 10 64 bit and reaper 64 bit...

Why 32bit version, it does not have a 64bit version?

Elantric

Chumly

Quote from: jassy on January 06, 2016, 04:04:16 AMI also use a jv1010, how it sounds compared to the jv?
I'm not sure as I've not done a side by side and I'm also not sure if the GM bank in the JV1010 has an exact timbre equivalent in the iOS Roland Sound Canvas.  I figure the iOS Roland Sound Canvas is at the least a more convenient alternative to the JV1010 if not a replacement for it.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Elantric

Mauri60

Quote from: Elantric on January 06, 2016, 01:01:47 PM
correct
Sorry, but this is not true.
Program (Vst ) have either 32 and 64 bit version, see here http://www.rolandus.com/products/sound_canvas_VA/specifications/
probably it was my fault and i forgot to include correct 64 bit path, so my daw don't add it to VST available list.
BTW i have less problem with bridged VST... a 64bit O.S. permit to use 32 bit applications, and bypass 2 gigabyte memory limit. reaper has a good bridge,so i can share my vst with other  musical programs  with no need to have double versions of the same vst... for me is useful with presets of reverbs, chorus, EQ and so on. for now only one vst cause a crash sometimes, so i use only 32 bit VST per session, for a project with 6 tracks if i need 10 VST i have less problem if i use 10 32 bit VST.
obviously this is my experience, it isn't a rule.
next week i think to order activation , guitars are quite good for a general midi VST, choirs are rich, and overall balance is good as usual for canvas family ( except for hyper canvas...) one of the most overrated sound bank I've ever heard! if i have some time , i may post there a rendering of the same song with canvas VA and hyper canvas to check differences...

jassy

My experience is just the opposite, if i run 32bit plugins in my full 64bit environment (SO and Cubase 8) i have problems. Thats how it has to be, right?

Mauri60

Quote from: jassy on January 06, 2016, 03:41:08 PM
My experience is just the opposite, if i run 32bit plugins in my full 64bit environment (SO and Cubase 8) i have problems. That's how it has to be, right?
hi  mate
to run out from any kind of misunderstandings, i only expose my experience, I'm not expose  a sacred rule.
there are friends of mine that have problems I've never experience and I'm sure to have other problems that someone never notice...
systems are different and react differently even with same program you know very well what i mean.
some weeks ago i export my 16 tracks project to an external hard disk.
I'm not able to open it in another PC same o.s. same plugins, same daw version "similar" overall configuration.
I'm quite sure that crashes depends by larger productions and high number of VST open contemporarily, and I'm as much sure that some VST are not compatible when charged at 32 or 64 bit into a track.
I'll try to limit crashes  also by freezing audio tracks. freeze in reaper is a kind of temp rendering of track itself, and this apply vst effect and unload VST from memory. I case i can unfreeze track to modify e.g. rev time or rev type or any kind of change i need...
or if i need to apply same effect in several tracks, i make a new track with vst and create sends to each track needs effect.
but i may say that ( for now :) ) i don't have crashes for vst 32/64 incompatibility.
maybe I'm lucky ;)