Positive Grid - BIAS FX Desktop

Started by acousticglue, June 28, 2015, 05:52:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jassy

This was previously announced? I do not remember seeing it when I decided to buy FX BIAS (not pro), if I would have known it probably would not have bought.
It is their decision but I think consider including MIDI like a premium capability is a major error.
These are the times we live in, now MIDI is a luxury.

Neardark72

Was about to buy TH3 because it seamed to be the one that sounded and felt the best for me (trial version so far) but this topic with the video links lead me to great features on this product like the tonecloud, and Amp Match which is INSANE!!

Here's a cool video how to use amp match

Now for questions (because I always ask questions) does anyone tried it with a midi footswitch controller? If so, can you assign different patches on it or only pedals on/off?
With the voicelive play electric, and the gr55, I'd like to not tap dancing like crazy while I play, it takes me out of my playing.  ;D

The other question is referont thyme bundles, looks like you need to buy the BIAS FX PRO, and BIAS AMP PRO, and BIAS Pedal ???  ???

Spider

If you don't want to tweak OD/DS pedals and/or amps you need only FX Pro. But... Tone Matching is only in Amp Pro so this one too. T
And... TH3 is maybe better then BIAS.

Neardark72

Thanks for replying.

TH3 better than BIAS was my conclusion at first.
Now I'm all messed up between both. The AmpMatch is an awesome feature, and I don't think that TH3 has a place so that users can share patches.

I will have to pass more time on those Demos I think.

Thanks again,

Regards

Elantric

member "guitar_pic" wrote>
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18908.msg134943#msg134943
Hello from Vancouver BC.  I am not sure where to post this as I am new to the forum, but I am looking for help with using Bias FX Desktop.

I Just purchased the Pro license after watching some really good youtube reviews/demos.  My intent for using this would be as a stand alone practice tool (not connected to any DAW) for practicing using my computer and headphones.  But I am running into some difficulties with the tuner and also setting the delay times.

I can't seem to get the tuner to detect any of my strings.  When I click on tuner, It switches the screen over to it, and I just see a "C" on the tuner screen.

And also, what delay pedal should I be suing if I want to dial in a dotted delay sound?  I just want to dial in that setting and then tap it in so that I can play along with mp3 tracks.

Thank you all!

yuri

I tried BIAS and also  TH3 ( demo versions)TH3  is the best way  without any doubt  -for me (IMHO)

marco_AMMT

Hi, i'm a new joiner of the forum and a recent user of BIAS Fx standalone. I purchased the Professional version (on sale) and it looks like it works pretty well with my focusrite solo as input and output for my macbook pro 2010.

I'm now trying to use Bias Fx with my older Boss Gt10 as interface in order to use the USB / MIDI controls of the Boss GT 10 for live performances. I was able to set the midi connection well and the GT10 actually changes the settings the way I want to and that's great for live purposes.

The reason why i'm writing is that the connection is not really stable: sometimes  the overall quality of the sound get worse (latency, pops!) from a moment to another. Furthermore if i turn down the volume pot of the guitar a bit (bertween 3 and 7), the sounds becomes crappy and "looses" many of the notes that i play.

I read tones of treads on this forum (and others) but cannot fix it... I need a stable set up for my live gigs and I'd like to use the GT10 as my midi controller.

Does anyone have any sugegstions for my set (BIAS FX + Macbook pro + Boss Gt10)?

Thank you all in advance!

Elantric

The GT-10 is not the most transparent audio interface for BIAS FX. You may be fighting its built in Noise Supressors and high noise floor, even with all its FX and Amp/Cab sims disabled    - which is how I recommend you create a blank no FX / no amp modeling patch on your GT-10 that you will copy to all patch locations you intend to use for BIAS FX.

And dive into the GT-10 manual and adjust the GT-10 USB Gain  and turn DIR Mon ( Direct Monitor) = OFF - this allows BIAS FX to perform the FX and AMP modeling
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GT-10_OM.pdf

Roland/Boss gear is fine, but know you will get better results using a dedicated audio interface with higher quality preamp and lower noise. Verify the USB or Firewire audio interface that use with your 2010 Macbook has a 1meg instrument input, 24 bit audio and built-in MIDI I/O  and low latency CORE Audio drivers for OSX - Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 comes to mind  - use the GT-10 as a MIDI controller for BIAS FX with a 5 pin MIDi connection from GT-10 MIDI out to Scarlett 2.4 MIDI IN.

marco_AMMT

Hi Elantric, many thanks for your prompt feedback, it's very useful!

I still have to make an a/b comparison between the focusrite and the GT10 as interface, as of now the sounds trough the GT10 (correct, I've disabled all the fx and amp /cab sims + put the DGT out in front of the PRE as advised in several forums) seem pretty much as transparent ad the focusrite but and A/B comparison is definitely needed here. I'll make some attempts and let you all know.

I've accurately read the GT 10 manual and followed all the instructions i could understand (unfortunately there's a language gap, as you may be facing..). Nonetheless, i think I've a pretty good understanding of the USB functions as described in the manual.. can you suggest what level the USB Gain in the GT10 should be set at? i assume 100%, correct? In the meantime I'll try to turn the Direct monitor off and see what happens.

I'll try to verify if the USB or Firewire audio interface has a 1meg instrument input, 24 bit audio and built-in MIDI I/O  and low latency CORE Audio drivers for OSX, even if I'm not sure how to do it. Lastly, my interface (focusrite scarlet solo 2nd gen) does not have a midi input :-(

I've got some tricks to try as soon as i get home.

Thank you again for your help!

marco_AMMT

please find below a copy and past of my scarlett solo specs:

44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 176.4 kHz, 192 kHz

Microphone Inputs

Frequency Response 20 Hz - 20 kHz ± 0.1dB

Dynamic Range 106 dB (A-Weighted)

THD+N <0.002% (minimum gain, -1dBFS input with 22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)

Noise EIN < -128 dB (A-Weighted)

Maximum input level +4 dBu

Gain Range 50 dB

Impedance 3k Ω

Line Inputs

Maximum input level +22 dBu

Gain Range 50 dB

Impedance 52k Ω

Instrument Inputs

THD+N <0.02% (minimum gain, -1dBFS input with 22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)

Maximum input level +13 dBu

Gain Range 50 dB

Impedance 1M Ω

Phono (RCA) Outputs

Dynamic Range Outputs 106 dB (A-Weighted)

Maximum Output Level (0 dBFS) +10 dBu

THD+N Outputs <0.002% (minimum gain, -1dBFS input with 22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)

Impedance (RCA Outputs) 47 Ω

Headphone Outputs

Dynamic Range 107 dB (A-Weighted)

Maximum Output Level > +10dBu

Impedance 10 Ω

Elantric

QuoteInstrument Inputs

THD+N <0.02% (minimum gain, -1dBFS input with 22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter)

Maximum input level +13 dBu

Gain Range 50 dB

Impedance 1M Ω

Looks fine

I would test using BIAS FX with this Scarlett Solo interface and compare audio performance with GT-10

You can still connect GT-10 to Macbook with USB and use it as for BIAS FX remote patch change using MIDI control

Just set the Scarlet Solo as your Audio interface in BIAS FX standalone app

and be sure to use the latest Focusrite USB Audio driver for OSX

marco_AMMT

Quote from: Elantric on September 29, 2016, 09:38:25 AM
Looks fine

I would test using BIAS FX with this Scarlett Solo interface and compare audio performance with GT-10

You can still connect GT-10 to Macbook with USB and use it as for BIAS FX remote patch change using MIDI control

Just set the Scarlet Solo as your Audio interface in BIAS FX standalone app

and be sure to use the latest Focusrite USB Audio driver for OSX

Thank you Elantric, your tips were useful.

I made some A/B comparison yesterday night and ,to my perception, the sound quality is slightly better with the Focusrite. Since thew difference is hardly detectable, however, I prefer to use the GT10 as the interface in order to reduce the amount of stuff that i need to bring with me for live sets. The difference is really minimal and I'm happy with the GT10 as my interface for live gigs leaving the Focusrite for recordings or homework.

In order to fix my sound issues with the GT10 + Bias FX, i had to A) switch the USB monitor to OFF on the GT10 (as per your suggestion) and B) reduce the Buffer size (to 128) on BIAS FX audio settings. Tones are very good now and there's no more latency or pops that i can hear.

with my current settings on USB - Midi commands, i can:

- change the patches on BIAS FX using the patch change pedals of the GT10 (in Manual mode): it's odd (no midi assign there! ) but it's working!

- change the Amp's channels on Bias FX using the CTL 1 and CTL 2 pedals of the GT10 (these 2 pedals do send out commands via midi using different channels!). They send "moment" commands as already discussed on the forums, but it's just fine as long as you toggle something (like changing Amp's channels) that wont' return to a previous setting when releasing the CTL 1 and 2 pedals.

- toggle several other commands on Bias FX using the external CTL 3 and 4 with a pedal switch

I still have a couple of open questions, though:

- i still have problems with lowering the guitar volume pot: if settled between 2 and 7 (out of 10) some of the picking are not going to be "heard": not everything i play arrives to destination - it looks like it's missing some sensibility... this impacts deeply the dynamics of the playing. This problem also shows up with the Focusrite... Any suggestions here?

- I'm trying to figure out how to use the pedals (1 - 4) of the GT10 to send out some midi / USB commands: the 4 pedals all send out the commands trough the same channel (0), meaning that the 4 pedals will all send out the same commands. That's a shame because I'd love to assign other commands to these pedals such as toggle the Delay / Chorus / Dist / Booster etc. I've searched all around the web for a solution but, as of today, no good answers.

Thank you all in advance for your help!

Cheers

admin

- i still have problems with lowering the guitar volume pot: if settled between 2 and 7 (out of 10) some of the picking are not going to be "heard": not everything i play arrives to destination

disable the noise gate on BIAS FX

marco_AMMT

Quote from: admsustainiac on September 30, 2016, 09:11:12 AM

disable the noise gate on BIAS FX

Thanks admsustainiac, that improved a lot the volume pot sensibility!

Open question remain "how to change the GT10 1-4 pedals' midi channels" ...other than that i'm pretty satisfied with my current set (GT10 interface and midi commander to BIAS Fx)

Thank you all!

acousticglue

Having used many of these plugins out on market for some time I was getting stuck to GR5 for a while after using A3 and A4 when released. Now most of my playing time gets involved with Bias, TH3 and a spattering of SGear.

Bias story has gone like this: some glitches, some buffer issues and to this day too many connections to internet when opening interface either VST or not. I hope they work on this. I dont think any interface should have to open 13 internet connections just to use the darned thing. If you have cloud based stuff in app then let it make a one time connection when doing so. To play it should not cause this.

Now having said that Bias reinstalling seems to be par for course because the msi you use will invariably be problematic just doing upgrades. But if I reinstall all starting with BiasAMP (and yes it is expensive to get everything and working components in your setup but not comparatively to buying real gear I know) and then install BiasPedal then BiasFX it is working the best it has. There are a couple of the units in it that have issues still and if they fix the internet crap, this is getting to be a solid players unit.

TH3 has made immense jumps over the 1-2 year ago sounds and features. I like it but still not crazy about interface as I prefer rack gear like SGear or GR5.

Just latest two cents.

Neardark72

I understand what you mean with the interface of the TH3, but sound wise, I prefer it.

Since my last post on this thread, i bought Komplete that has guitar rig5. I also changed my sound interface that came along with ProTools (light version) and has a light version of BIAS.

I see that BIAS takes a lot from the CPU and the light version of it is quite useless, everytime I tryed to do something, I needed to buy something.

For the moment, before I decide to buy TH3, I tend to fool around with GR5, LePou with LeCab using some IR's and separate effects (Delay, Chorus, Phaser, EQs etc.) that are freewares.

I bought the vocal pack from waves that was on a big sale and they have decent doublers that I use for the guitar. By the way, this pack changed my life for the price. It has a pitch correction plugin that is so useful!!! I became a fan of waves plugins.

acousticglue

With GR5 I found that swapping the old reverb for Reflektor in patches and using some good free IRs from the web makes some of the old patches sound great. Also at times removing old cab sim and either using newer control room or Torpedo WOS with IRs makes world of difference. Wish they would still update at least one last time all the FX and amps in it.

TH3 doesnt lack much.

Even Kuassa amps I used with ReplikaXT/Eventide Quadrovoxx/Valhalla and man those are cool parings.

LePou amps are fine but I have had trouble saving settings on them. 64 bit.

And yes Bias still you must own all and install amp, pedal and then FX freshly each time and get much better results. But still is really good. All the delays distortion people create makes it worth it. I am no good at creation side.

Neardark72

You are soo right about GR5.
IR's on Reflector makes a huge difference. I downloaded a GR Metallica patch with IR's that is awesome. The Tone of the Blackened IR is soo close. I found banks of IR somewhere, I should nail around a lot more with them in GR.

I will give try your suggestions.

You might have changed my opinion about Bias, if I can retry the trial of all of them with the user patches, I will. But still the Dmention on TH3 is something I must have   :)

I don't have problems (or didn't notice problems) to save Lepou patches as I save my work on cubase.

I rarely use the same sound as I'm versatile in the music I make. I play what I feel in the moment.
From New age to  Death Metal passing by pop... and sometimes I mix a couple or styles in the same song.
Who cares, I don't have to follow a genre as I'm not famous.  ;D
I just find a sound, fool with it, and come with a riff that leads me somewhere.

BackDAWman

Just wanted to share this Vox sound that I squeezed out of Bias FX on Cubase Pro 9.

I like it. No other pedals. I wound all the knobs up on 10 except for the bass. I wound it all the way off.

https://soundcloud.com/ravingreality/rock-n-roll

BackDAWman

Quote from: BackDAWman on November 07, 2017, 09:49:59 PM
Just wanted to share this Vox sound that I squeezed out of Bias FX on Cubase Pro 9.

I like it. No other pedals. I wound all the knobs up on 10 except for the bass. I wound it all the way off.

https://soundcloud.com/ravingreality/rock-n-roll

This is now a fully-fledged EP by my band The Stunned Mullets

All guitar and bass sounds have been recorded using either BIAS amp or BIAS FX Pro.

Guitars are: Gibson SG Zoot Suit, Steinberger GL4T and Steinberger ZT3
Basses: Warwick FNA and NS Radius

https://fanlink.to/AEJ This will take you to the EP  ;D

acousticglue

Latest update has new amp pics replacing the cartoonish amps. I am still version 1 but this update supposedly makes compatible with v2.

Wibble

Hello,

Can I set up the Boss GT1 to enable me to run the Bias FX Desktop. I have the demo version but am not sure about settings on GT1 or Bias FX 2.

Any help would be very appreciated.  ;D ;D ;D
Wibble

admin

Quote from: Wibble on July 08, 2019, 05:37:08 AM
Hello,

Can I set up the Boss GT1 to enable me to run the Bias FX Desktop. I have the demo version but am not sure about settings on GT1 or Bias FX 2.

Any help would be very appreciated.  ;D ;D ;D

In the GT-1 USB settings , DIRECT MONITOR = OFF

Wibble

I've only just come back to this forum and noticed a reply to my post of July 2019! How the World has changed since then!
Wibble