GR-55 - living on a prayer help

Started by sean_b, October 23, 2013, 05:53:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sean_b

hi, been trying to get the synth sound with the slicer effect for the verse of living on a prayer bon jovi. i cant get the slicer to sync to the original not matter what i try. anyone got any ideas? i am using the wrong effect. i want the slicer to continue once i have strummed the chords EM C and D. maybe a delay
cheers
sean b

aliensporebomb

If you're referring to the verse riff that sounds like a voice or vocal-like wah it's a guitar being played with a device called a talk-box.  The slicer is not the correct effect for that type of sound. 

I'm not sure the GR-55 can emulate a talk-box style effect either.  Joe Walsh, Peter Frampton and others are famous for using the talk box which involves a tube you put into your mouth and play while "vocalizing" what you are trying to do. 

I'm sure I'm describing it all wrong but that is the effect used.

One possibility: envelope follower assigned to the expression pedal or possibly a wah and manually move the pedal with your foot while you play the part.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

sean_b

cheers but thats not the part i am looking for. when the vocal kicks in there is a string staccato synth going on. as i have a few other sounds going as well i want to strum the chord once and have it do its thang until i change chord

papabuss

It's definetly not a slicer. But I think I know what you mean: is it the keyboard/synth you can watch at around 1:23?

FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

sean_b

i got the sync with the original by using the slicer set to bpm and changing the patch tempo to the song tempo. i intend on setting the ctrl pedal to tap tempo so i can keep it to the live drums. i just need to get the synth sounds correct. if anyone wants it when i get it dialled i'll stick it up here.
cheers
sean b

whippinpost91850

I would like it Sean . I'll be playin those parts  inmy new band

papabuss

Quote from: aliensporebomb on October 23, 2013, 06:28:35 AM
If you're referring to the verse riff that sounds like a voice or vocal-like wah it's a guitar being played with a device called a talk-box.  The slicer is not the correct effect for that type of sound. 

I'm not sure the GR-55 can emulate a talk-box style effect either.  Joe Walsh, Peter Frampton and others are famous for using the talk box which involves a tube you put into your mouth and play while "vocalizing" what you are trying to do. 

I'm sure I'm describing it all wrong but that is the effect used.

One possibility: envelope follower assigned to the expression pedal or possibly a wah and manually move the pedal with your foot while you play the part.
Right, a sound that comes close to a talkbox can be made with a Touch Wah controlled by an EV5 or another...
I've posted a VG99 file and mp3 demo here some time ago.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2749.msg16253#msg16253
The settings could help to create a similar GR55 patch.....

greekjgg

I use an actual Talkbox when I play the song live. It totally makes the crowd stop and look.

Now, what I do along with that is I created a patch with the intro synth type keys that gradually builds before the bass kicks in. What I do is turn the volume down, I hit the E chord and then I use the ctrl pedal to hold that main E note. Then I switch to a stage grand piano type setting and do the little chord progression while that same E synth note is holding like David Bryan does for the live version of the song. After I've done that a few times I then turn the Talk box on and leave the same synth E note playing since its sort of the root note. I then mute it during the chorus and kick it back in during the 2nd verse.
Setup:
Homemade EVH Frankenstrat with built in GK3
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

sean_b

i am doing the same Em hold thing on my patch, there are two other guitarists and bass in the band to make it all happen from the synth. i use the ctrl pedal to hold then drop off the hold and forward the express pedal to activate the slicer for the verse then drop off the exp pedal for the pre chorus and chorus. we use this tune as a crowd chorus, end of night, sing back cause i cant sing the chorus, mind you jovi finds it hard to sing it live. i will defo upload my patch by the end of the w/end, would be nice to hear other folks attempts as well

greekjgg

Quote from: sean_b on October 25, 2013, 03:36:06 PM
i am doing the same Em hold thing on my patch, there are two other guitarists and bass in the band to make it all happen from the synth. i use the ctrl pedal to hold then drop off the hold and forward the express pedal to activate the slicer for the verse then drop off the exp pedal for the pre chorus and chorus. we use this tune as a crowd chorus, end of night, sing back cause i cant sing the chorus, mind you jovi finds it hard to sing it live. i will defo upload my patch by the end of the w/end, would be nice to hear other folks attempts as well

Jovi plays it a half step down nowadays. That's how he does it! I also have a patch for "Wanted" too...I tweaked another patch that I should upload as well

I was just thinking I needed to figure out how to start uploading some of my patches. I read somebody upgraded to maverick and didn't have any issues with the floor editor so I did the same but mine is crashing constantly every time I try to open it.
Setup:
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

Elantric

QuoteI was just thinking I needed to figure out how to start uploading some of my patches. I read somebody upgraded to maverick and didn't have any issues with the floor editor so I did the same but mine is crashing constantly every time I try to open it.

AlienSporebomb upgraded to OSX Mavericks, but he uses a VG-99, not a GR-55.
This trend of annual Operating System upgrades that break 50% of my tools / apps explains why some folks still run WinXP and remain happy.

greekjgg

Quote from: Elantric on October 25, 2013, 05:04:34 PM
AlienSporebomb upgraded to OSX Mavericks, but he uses a VG-99, not a GR-55.
This trend of annual Operating System upgrades that break 50% of my tools / apps explains why some folks still run WinXP and remain happy.

I was running an older version, I just upgraded the editor and Im all good. I am going to start sharing here this weekend as I've taken from so many lol.

Looking forward to seeing the prayer patch.
Setup:
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

greekjgg

Here is my version of this patch:

1. I turn the volume down and when on the synth hit the E chord and then hit CTL to hold the note
2. I then play the mellow piano interlude like David Brian does live 2 or 3 times depending on the crowd. This tends to build up the anticipation.
3. After I play the piano part like they do it live I engage the distortion and my talkbox (I use an actual talkbox) and I then do a little run ala Richie Sambora like he does (or did it, lol) live. My bass player watches the crowd and if they are digging it, I may extend it a little but he essentially starts the bass lick and then we start the song.

Notes: I leave the held synth note on until the chorus kicks in, I've played with this some. You could leave it longer but I tend to forget about it if I don't cut it when I do.

I really am interested in your version of the patch as I'd like to hear how you mimic the other keyboard sound.
Setup:
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

papabuss

Greekjgg, thx for posting.
I'm very curious and will check it ASAP! :)