JamOrigin - MIDI Guitar = Polyphonic Guitar to MIDI Software

Started by Charles5150, December 15, 2012, 05:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Albert

I've been a Jamorigin-fan for a couple of years now, and was waiting for this update. Played the latest Beta (14) for a couple of hours today: it's awesome. If you're into different ways to approach and shape guitar-tones, without a lot of hassle, this is it. The deep-fx are great (very different from what Roland could do with the Hex-pickups in for instance the VG-processors), the midi-tracking is very fast and accurate and the whole program got a facelift (new fonts, fx etc.). You should definitly try it!

Kenmac

I like *almost* everything about this new update, and I'll get to the "almost" in a minute. I like the new presets that demonstrate the new features like the deep expressor and deep harmonic EQ effects although I found some of the presets were a little on the loud side. I also like the fact that SFZ files now show up as instruments and the transposing is also good. I haven't used the new built in amps or effects yet but I'll be checking them out probably later this evening. I also like the new interface and the way you can customize it.

Okay here's where we get to the "almost" part. In the stand alone version of MIDIGuitar beta 12 there was a useful menu under the instrument or effect you were using that allowed you to load in a preset. Unfortunately, for some reason, that's now gone. I don't why they did this, I'm sure they could re-arrange the interface to allow this again. Here are a couple of screenshots I took earlier to show you what I mean.

Here's the earlier beta 12. Notice how the presets show up and you can choose what you want to load in:

With beta 14 you no longer get that.  :(

I know that Paul Driessen (Guitarpolsen) is a member of the MIDIGuitar team so if you're reading this, could you pass this on to the MIDIGuitar developers please? I don't do Facebook. Also if there is a way to get the presets to show up, please let me know, although I've tried various methods without any luck. If they can bring the presets function back that'd be great.
"Let them brush your rock and roll hair."

acousticglue

whippinpost91850

Just got the email a few hours ago. I'm off for a couple of days and hope to give it a go

PD FX

Hi Ken,
yes, that plugin programselector will return in next update, no problem.
I'm glad you like the rest!

Best,
Paul - Jamorigin

Quote from: Kenmac on January 31, 2017, 11:02:46 AM
Okay here's where we get to the "almost" part. In the stand alone version of MIDIGuitar beta 12 there was a useful menu under the instrument or effect you were using that allowed you to load in a preset. Unfortunately, for some reason, that's now gone. I don't why they did this, I'm sure they could re-arrange the interface to allow this again. Here are a couple of screenshots I took earlier to show you what I mean.
I know that Paul Driessen (Guitarpolsen) is a member of the MIDIGuitar team so if you're reading this, could you pass this on to the MIDIGuitar developers please? I don't do Facebook. Also if there is a way to get the presets to show up, please let me know, although I've tried various methods without any luck. If they can bring the presets function back that'd be great.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Guitarpolson on November 05, 2016, 09:26:39 AM
Piezo is no problem perse. Acoustic guitars, however, tend to have more resonances. So a "bad" piezosystem that only gives harsh stringsound will probably work better. When the resonances are too loud they can be mistaken for stringsound by MG.

So if it's possible to eq out as much of the " acoustic sound " as possible to give a harsher sound , that'd be better ? Is that a possibility in the standalone version now ? And to let the natural sound remain in the audio side ?
Am I being clear ?
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

PD FX

Quote from: Brak(E)man on February 08, 2017, 02:57:41 AM
So if it's possible to eq out as much of the " acoustic sound " as possible to give a harsher sound , that'd be better ? Is that a possibility in the standalone version now ? And to let the natural sound remain in the audio side ?
Am I being clear ?
no, the sound is not split in "this goes  to convert" and "this goes to guitarchannel".
In the end you will not want to have too much resonance anyway, even for the normal guitarsound. It would complicate things to much to do such a thing now. That said, I've tested MG with acoustic guitar and microphone and it worked fine..
Acoustic guitar is however not the main goal of MG

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Guitarpolson on February 08, 2017, 03:51:01 AM
no, the sound is not split in "this goes  to convert" and "this goes to guitarchannel".
In the end you will not want to have too much resonance anyway, even for the normal guitarsound. It would complicate things to much to do such a thing now. That said, I've tested MG with acoustic guitar and microphone and it worked fine..
Acoustic guitar is however not the main goal of MG

That's to bad , both that you're not looking into acoustic guitar, and that you can't split the sound.
I guess it's possible if used as a plugin instead
And yes I want as much resonance as possible

- Lydia Lunch

PD FX

Quote from: Brak(E)man on February 08, 2017, 04:20:02 AM
That's to bad , both that you're not looking into acoustic guitar, and that you can't split the sound.
I guess it's possible if used as a plugin instead
And yes I want as much resonance as possible
I didn't say where not looking into acoustic guitars, I only stated that the primary purpose is electric guitar, but that also works good for an acoustic. We are not sure if we ever want to add "one channel to converter, one channel to guitarchannel" setup, because of the added complexity for (especially novice) users, and the number of people playing with a stereo output is minimal.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Guitarpolson on February 08, 2017, 04:36:39 AM
I didn't say where not looking into acoustic guitars, I only stated that the primary purpose is electric guitar, but that also works good for an acoustic. We are not sure if we ever want to add "one channel to converter, one channel to guitarchannel" setup, because of the added complexity for (especially novice) users, and the number of people playing with a stereo output is minimal.

I only asked about the split because it migh mean better tracking
and at the same time not affect the sound quality.

Do you mean that most people play synths and guitar with fx in mono ?

- Lydia Lunch

PD FX

Quote from: Brak(E)man on February 08, 2017, 04:49:33 AM
I only asked about the split because it migh mean better tracking
and at the same time not affect the sound quality.

Do you mean that most people play synths and guitar with fx in mono ?
ok, perhaps a misunderstanding, let me rephrase:
you say "split".. that means that you want a separte signal for the converter, and separate signal for the guitarchannel.
There is no fx slot just for the convertor now, I guess you hint at the possibility to add an EQ just for the converter, and have the guitarchannel unchanged. It wouldnt work as good as one would espect: the low resonance areas that can make low notes uncertain "cover" the played note. So if you put down frequency X that is bothering you, the note in the vicinity of X will vanish too.. You will therefore have no real improved tracking with an EQ added before the convertor.

Alternatively, and that was my initial idea, you could have 2 differnet pickups: one with less resonance for the converter, and 1 with more resonance for the guitarchannel. And that setup has other problems that I talked about in the previous post.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Guitarpolson on February 08, 2017, 05:04:00 AM
ok, perhaps a misunderstanding, let me rephrase:
you say "split".. that means that you want a separte signal for the converter, and separate signal for the guitarchannel.
There is no fx slot just for the convertor now, I guess you hint at the possibility to add an EQ just for the converter, and have the guitarchannel unchanged. It wouldnt work as good as one would espect: the low resonance areas that can make low notes uncertain "cover" the played note. So if you put down frequency X that is bothering you, the note in the vicinity of X will vanish too..

With a notch that wouldn't be an issue

- Lydia Lunch

PD FX

Quote from: Brak(E)man on February 08, 2017, 05:22:25 AM
With a notch that wouldn't be an issue
A "notch" is simply a narrow frequency band that you kill, so it is just one slider of a graphic EQ.
But tell me: how do you you use MG now?

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Guitarpolson on February 08, 2017, 05:30:50 AM
A "notch" is simply a narrow frequency band that you kill, so it is just one slider of a graphic EQ.
But tell me: how do you you use MG now?

Yes I know what a notch is and with a notch filter
set to different freq you can kill a lot of the resonance that's unwanted
for the converter.

I have been using it with a fretless acoustic nylon guitar with a transducer
Running a few synths and a looper and fx in a MacBook.
It's working ok but not perfect.
I was hoping to pick up the new version and using it live
with acoustic mainly , both fretted and fretless

Don't get me wrong , I like MG a lot

- Lydia Lunch

PD FX

MIDI Guitar 2.2.1 is out indeed!
And: the public demo 2.0.17 is now up to date, you can try out the deep effects now in the free demo!
Download free demo @ jamorigin.com/download
Here a jam with the Deep Expressor I made yesterday, no synths here.. just delay, reverb and the expressor..
try it for yourself..

CodeSmart

I assume you have heard this all before, and I well understand things are complex enough without dealing with hardware development/production/distribution/sales/service etc, but it is certainly a pity this great stuff isn't available in a robust floor unit :'(
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

vtgearhead

I'll second that sentiment.  The thought of relying on a laptop, iPad or phone for guitar processing at a gig just terrifies me.

tydacor

Quote from: CodeSmart on March 27, 2017, 02:04:08 PM
I assume you have heard this all before, and I well understand things are complex enough without dealing with hardware development/production/distribution/sales/service etc, but it is certainly a pity this great stuff isn't available in a robust floor unit :'(

I have been thinking the same thing. Will love to see the day when the guitarist has a a floor pedal at his disposal with fx as well as midi, in which no special pick up is neede to trigger midi. Jam Origin or may be Sonuus GM2 (software and hardware which trigger midi using regular pickups) can lead the way.

Vaultnaemsae

For what it's worth,  I've been getting better results with MIDI Guitar 2.2.1 compared with my FTP in recent testing.  I'm not sure if my transmitter unit for the FTP is faulty  because I remember it being the other way around in the past. When I say better results, I mean superior tracking/response, lack of mistriggering and less unpredictable behavior across a range of different playing techniques.

Also, The FTP software often seems to make my Mac lag to a point that it becomes unusable should I have to rely on it in a live situation - not gigging currently. This seems depending on which softsynth I have loaded...Omnisphere makes it die fairly quickly.  To be fair it also has problems wHen loaded in MIDI guitar 2...

Is there anybody here who has ditched the FTP for the MIDI Guitar 2 software solution?
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

Elantric

QuoteAlso, The FTP software often seems to make my Mac lag to a point that it becomes unusable should I have to rely on it in a live situation - not gigging currently.

What model Mac?, What type CPU?  how much ram? , what version OSX ?

vablows

I searched the thread, but couldn't find any answers.

Is anyone using this with a hardware synth , or better yet, doing it live?

Headless68

Im using it live - triggering iOS soft synths not hardware though - its working really well for me - only issue I had was user error, I had an exp pedal assigned to bias fx and it was using the same midi CC as the default in MG2 for note hold - so I was dropping the guitar volume & triggering synth hold at the same time - oops :-)

Vaultnaemsae

Quote from: Elantric on April 18, 2017, 10:01:44 AM
What model Mac?, What type CPU?  how much ram? , what version OSX ?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-ich, Mid 2015)
2.5GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
macOS Sierra Version 10.12.4
Vaultnaemsae's SoundCloud:
https://soundcloud.com/vaultnaemsae

admin

Yosemite was the last OSX version I intend to use - newer versions introduce more bloat and negative impact on Audio/MIDI performance.
https://ask.audio/articles/musicians-producers-do-not-upgrade-to-mac-os-sierra-1012-yet

starrats

How it compares to Hog or vst counterparts? Seems as the only polyphonic harmonic 'modulator' out there.