Source Audio -Hot Hand 3 Universal Wireless Effects Controller

Started by surdaas, March 16, 2008, 10:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surdaas

There is a product line called Hot Hand that uses a wireless ring-type
controller for expression to two effects boxes; wah and phaser/flanger.

http://www.sourceaudio.net/products/hothand/hothand3.php
What is interesting about this is that each effects box has an input
for the ring controller, another input for a guitar expression pedal,
and an output for the sending hand-control signals to an external
effects box!

Ergo, I think we have a wireless hand controller for the VG-99 that
does not require taking your hands off the guitar or to move into a
certain field like the D-Beam and ribbon.

Does anyone with GA$ want to try?

------

Hot Hand® 3 Universal Wireless Effects Controller

Hot Hand 3
The Hot Hand 3 Universal Wireless Effects Controller expands significantly on the breakthrough technology of the original Hot Hand, broadening its compatibility to include non-Source Audio pedals. A 3-axis accelerometer translates motion into a dynamic and precise expression signal, which can be applied to a range of effect parameters, including filter sweeps, drive levels, modulation, and wet/dry mixes. The lightweight and wireless ring is capable of transmitting over 100 feet and fits comfortably on the hand, foot, or instrument headstock.

Hot Hand 3 connects to all Soundblox®, Soundblox 2, Soundblox Pro, and Hot Hand pedals via the 1/8" SENSOR OUTPUT. The receiver base station also features a standard 1/4" EXPRESSION OUTPUT compatible with most third-party pedals equipped with a 1/4" expression input, such as the Boss PS-5 Pitch Shifter, Eventide Space Reverb, Line 6 DL4, and many more.

The system consists of a wireless sensor ring, ring charger/DC power supply, receiver base station, and sensor cable. The ring is powered by a rechargeable/replaceable lithium ion battery, with an average operation time of 6 hours between charges.

The Hot Hand is great—it's intuitive and weird and musical. Guitar pedals have kind of been stuck in the same place for a couple decades, and now the Hot Hand has come along to open up a whole new idea."

—Damien Kulash, guitarist for OK Go

HOT HAND 3 INTERFACE
Roll your mouse over hot spots (+) on the panel controls to learn about each one.

Hot Hand 3 Panel Demo
I/O PORTS
Roll your mouse over hot spots (+) on the panel controls to learn about each one.

Hot Hand 3 Panel Demo
HOT HAND 3 WIRELESS EFFECTS CONTROLLER FEATURES & SPECIFICATIONS
Compatible with all Soundblox, Soundblox 2, Soundblox Pro, and Hot Hand pedals.
Works with most third-party effects equipped with a 1/4" expression input. DIP switches facilitate third-party effect configuration.
Select between 3 different motion axes (X, Y, and Z).
RF transmitter capable of transmitting over 100 feet.
Rechargeable/replaceable lithium ion battery.
1/8" SENSOR OUTPUT and ¼" EXPRESSION OUTPUT.
DEPTH and SMOOTHING controls adjust effect amount and ring sensitivity.
All components are compatible with the original Hot Hand Wireless Adapter.
Use up to 4 separate Hot Hand units simultaneously with no interference
License free for worldwide wireless usage (ISM band).

vanceg

Yes, I have had one for almost two years now. Very nice devices.  The latest version will output MIDI CC messages and that is what I am looking forward to using with the VG-99.

surdaas

Cool! So does it work well as an alternative for the d-beam or wah expression on the vg99?

vanceg

Quote from: surdaas on March 17, 2008, 12:27:20 AM
Cool! So does it work well as an alternative for the d-beam or wah expression on the vg99?

The units I have do not send out MIDI. The MIDI unit is coming out shortly. Right now, the HotHand controls it's own effects.  Will advise when I get the MIDI unit. 

surdaas

I know that the VG99 can take midi CC messages for expression, but I was thinking this would work like the EV-5 for expression control.

Roland does warn plugging in expression pedals other than the EV-5 but I think that's a disclaimer to make sure some sizable DC current is introduced. 

Elantric

exipsilon

I just bought something quite interesting to accompany the SY 300, the Hot Hand 3 wireless 3 axis expression controller from Source Audio and I am struggling to get it up and running.  ??? ???Though the guys from source audio say it is universally compatible.
Any kind information, you guys on this thread have about this or just on the SY's configuration for setting up and external expression controller would help. I need to set up 3 parameters for all three axes of the controller... It is confusing... and I believe no one on this planet has tried to do that(connecting these two specific devices together), none that I know of and trust me I searched a lot...  for If it works out I guess it'll be eutopia. ;D
Thanks (y)

admin

I merged this with the existing thread, perhaps other Source Audio -Hot Hand 3 Universal Wireless Effects Controller owners will join the conversation.

Elantric

I would baby step the debug cycle
Hot Hand manual
http://www.sourceaudio.net/downloads/product_docs/hh_hh3_manual.pdf

The Hot hand internal expression config switches should be set for Normal Mode and use a TRS Cable.

Be sure you also have a genuine Roland EV-5 pedal or equivalent to debug the Hot Hand setup

Take the SY-300 and connect a EV-5 and move the EV-5 and observe how the SY-300 reacts. Some stock patches have external expression pedal control enabled. Use BTS for SY-300 and set this up with an EV-5. Then swap the EV-5 with the Hot Hand Epression pedal output. Be sure you are using a TRS  1/4" cable from Hot Hand Expression Ouput jack into SY-300 Expression jack input

And know that most other gear uses a simple 10 K linear pot feeding a mono 1/4 plug ( Fractal/Line 6)

While Roland /Boss gear designed for EV-5 expression pedal use a 10k linear pot feeding a TRS 1/4" plug
Details here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=33.0

exipsilon

Thank you, admsustainiac for merging my query on this thread!

And thank you Elantric for such a prompt and thorough reply...
I have put my head into the manual, DIP switches are on normal configuration and am using a TRS  1/4" cable from Hot Hand Expression Ouput jack into SY-300 Expression jack input.

But, you say i also need to have a genuine Roland EV-5 pedal or equivalent to debug the Hot Hand setup..

I'am sorry but please elaborate "debug"

Do I need another expression pedal when I have to ultimately use the hot hand controller?
Or
Do i only need the EV-5 to see how the SY-300 reacts?
Maybe I can just make do with borrowing one...

boss sy300

Quote from: exipsilon on May 01, 2016, 10:53:09 AM
Thank you, admsustainiac for merging my query on this thread!

And thank you Elantric for such a prompt and thorough reply...
I have put my head into the manual, DIP switches are on normal configuration and am using a TRS  1/4" cable from Hot Hand Expression Ouput jack into SY-300 Expression jack input.

But, you say i also need to have a genuine Roland EV-5 pedal or equivalent to debug the Hot Hand setup..

I'am sorry but please elaborate "debug"

Do I need another expression pedal when I have to ultimately use the hot hand controller?
Or
Do i only need the EV-5 to see how the SY-300 reacts?
Maybe I can just make do with borrowing one...

did you ever solve your problem ? btw you dont need a pedal to debug it just simply plug it in and turn it on and go to exp in boss settings and modify what you want the hot hand to control you have 3 exp slots to use at once for example i can control any knob on the the boss so i want my hot hand to control fx1 wah and oscillator 2 pitch and fx2 phaser and now you have a weird sound controlled by the hot hand but remember you cant just plug it in and expect it to work with all your patches you have to modify the exp area IN BOSS for each preset for your needs and your hot hand has to be calibrated correctly and settings must be to your needs and if you catch your self swinging your arm around like crazy and hear dissapointing minor changes this means the knob you choose to move isnt doing much compaired to a pitch or cutoff fliter or volume or slicex knob....btw if you turn off and on the hot hand receiver than activate the ring afterwards it will work