GR-55 - Using 2 separate delay effects....

Started by stirlo, January 01, 2012, 09:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stirlo

Hi Guys.

Is it possible to use 2 seperate delay effects in the signal chain on the GR 55.

Example being on the GT 10 I had a patch for a song called Wonderful land by Hank Marvin which had 2 delays in it with slighlty different delay times in it which is how he had his delay set up for this song..

Any Ideas Folks.....

Dave

paults

You could use a delay in the MFX, and the separate Master delay.

stirlo

Thankyou very much for that info.I have not had GR 55 long still getting to grips with it.I thought you could only use MFX on PCM..

That's great I will give that a go tonight..

Many Thanks for your help...

gumtown

The 3 Tap Pan delay in MFX might work on it's own.
You could try to set the routing to "Structure 2" and series the MOD Delay with the MFX delay and also the main Delay (3 delay's in series).
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

stirlo

Great Thanks for that..This unit seems to have so many possibilities.It may take me a while to master but with the help you get on here I'm sure I will get there....

Cheers !!!!!

ecca

I'm a big Shadows fan and I set up a patch that used the 3 tap  pan delay and also the  tape delay.
My quest was to emulate the Meazzi head timings of 101, 199, 278 and 353 msec  with the feedback taken from head  4, i.e. 353msec.
The Meazzi echo machine being the one that Hank used on all the early stuff  up to about Geronimo .
The tape delay was set with the 101msec time and a feedback of 40 and effect level also of 40.
With the 3tap pan delay, left delay was set to 199,right was set to 278 and centre was set to 353msec.
Centre feedback was 42% , all levels were set to 90%.
When played through a mono guitar amp this was excellent for Wonderful Land, Peace Pipe etc.
The out put levels may need to be adjusted for taste but the important thing is that the head repeat pattern is correct.
Hope it helps.
Eric Thacker

PS The modelled Strat is absolutely ace as well for Shads stuff.

prsrick

Hi,  I am also a big Shadows fan too, do you have your patch uploaded for sharing?  thanks!

ecca

I would happily do it if I could get the bloody driver to load.
I have separate thread to try to sort this out.
The patch is excellent I promise you, I tried it live last night.

prsrick

ecca

I'll try and put a soundfile up tomorrow so you can at least hear it.
HOT NEWS
I've learned there's a USB port to the rear of the unit.
I was in the wrong hole.
Gulp.
Talk to you tomorrow.

prsrick

thanks again.  do you have sound file/video for a song using that patch?

ecca

I've put the echo patch for the Shad echo on the GR55 guitar patches/clean section.

gumbo

Nice stuff Eric!

...from an Oz Shadsfan...    ;)

...and good work on the Beatles stuff too!
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

stirlo

Thanks for replying to my post...I will give your patch a try out tonight when I get home..

Dave....

ecca

I put the Apache echo up as well.
Head timings are 124,426 and 599 msec. with feedback from head 4, 599 msec.
Hank switched off head 2 on the meazzi.
Cheers
Ecca

ecca

I'm getting the hang of things now I've plugged the USB lead into the right hole (!)
The GK1 switch now switches between Neck and Bridge pick-ups.
If anyone's interested then let me know.

ecca

stirlo

Tried your Hank patches last night..Great Job  !!!! ;D

ecca

Glad you like them Dave, I've been fascinated by the echo in Wonderful Land since I was 12 or 13. ( When the record came out !  )
Over the years I tried all sorts of echo arrangements , 2 echo units together etc, none of which was correct.
I went to see the Shads at various venues over the years and decades and it was always a disappointment that the echo was wrong until 2002 when I went to see Hank on his supposed farewell tour . I was stunned, the echoes were perfect, It was a man named Charlie Hall that had analysed the original records and put the timings into an Alesis Quadraverb and then a Q20 digital effects  unit for Hank to use.  I bought a variety of echo units after that ending up with a Q20 that cost a fortune, I had to buy this now obsolete unit from ebay in the USA and then send it to Charlie to be programmed. These days it's an easy task, there's heaps of information on the net about it and software that can than be programmed to do it.
Hence my initial quest to see if the GR55 would do it......... which it does.
Cheers
Ecca

PS   See my last message here for useful links.   

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5138.msg35098

prsrick

TommyJay

Quote from: ecca on January 12, 2012, 09:01:23 AM
Here's Peace Pipe..........

http://www.box.com/s/csrf87esn4l1ts05f7pp

Nicely done on Peace Pipe and a big thank you very much for the patches.  I two am a big Shadows Hank Marvin fan and have been trying to find any patches of the Shadows sounds for my GR-55.  Can't wait to try them out.

Thanks very much ecca,

Tommy

tekrytor

SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Cricket

@ecca - Great job!  Really nice performance of Peace Pipe, and I'm totally blown away by your analysis of the echo settings.  Your love for the music shows through in both.

I'm going to have to return to this thread another time w guitar in hand and try some of those settings out.  A slapback and reverb gets you close but this sounds 100%.

I sometimes wonder if non-musicians (or even some players) appreciate how challenging this style really is.  The melodies are superficially simple but a mistake is completely unacceptable.  There's no covering a flub.

Well done.