GR-55 - Pedal board set-ups with the GR-55?

Started by Mikefxd35, September 16, 2011, 10:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

QuoteFor years now I've wanted a fast tablet PC that I could run Guitar Rig on (preferably as a plugin in Ableton, with a few softsynths in the mix) but that kind of hardware has been so slow to arrive.  (Maybe next year...)

This comes real close:

Lenovo X220 Tablet PC with Intel i7 and touch screen:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=863019&CatId=7001

mbenigni

QuoteThis comes real close:
Lenovo X220 Tablet PC with Intel i7 and touch screen:

That is certainly powerful enough.  The only question is whether the screen is responsive enough.  My experience with convertible Windows laptops with touchscreens (it may even have been a Lenovo I last tested) has been pretty disappointing.  And they're generally impossible to find in retail outlets, so there are very few opportunities to test them in person.

Then there's the whole matter of mouse-based UI's translating poorly to a touchscreen experience, unless you find a way to wrap plugins in some kind of configurable VST interface.

I'm still waiting for Apple to bolt an iPad to the bottom half of a MacBook Air, tweak the OS to suit, and call it a day.

Elantric

One other path is:

Use a powerful PC/Mac/ Macmini

Then use any iPad running VNC Viewer (Virtual Network Computing) or RDP (Remote Desktop Connection) 

celestmark

Is the KMI Softstep plugged in directly to the GR? I thought one may need the KMI Midi Expander?   ???

Quote from: Csewell on September 21, 2011, 01:37:34 PM
With this, I can rule the world......

Elantric

QuoteI thought one may need the KMI Midi Expander?

Thats correct.

rickthestick

drbill asked "rickthestick: I'd like to hear how this was made and how you transport it!"
hi drbill,
I designed it to fit and have a very good friend who is a master cabinet builder with an awesome shop help bring it to fruitation. I then painted it,covered it with carpet and added the hardware. It is easily transportable and all the cables are in place so I just roll it out and plug it in in literally 2 minutes. A couple minutes to set up my bass and guitar amps (I play Chapman Stick as well as guitar) and I'm ready to go. I gig a lot so this makes it quick and painless.
Here's the pedals packed up:

GTRSteven

I wanted to keep my set-up on the small side, but needed to keep my dual amp config. I use a Roland KB amp for the GR-55 and a separate guitar amp. Note the amp placement for compactness. The pedal board is not cabinet quality by any means - pure functioinality. It is 2-level GR-55 on the floor for quick access and guitar effect on top. All of my electrical connections (power strips,etc) are hidden under the top level and behind the GR-55. I mix/select the guitar sound I want from both the Zoom and the GR-55. I find facing the top with laminate makes velcro stick extremely well for easy attachment.

Galvonot

Here is my latest pedalboard effort. When designing these things, ergonomics of the feet are pretty important to me, given my somewhat older legs. I try to keep the Midi Wizard as close to the GR-55 as possible (hence the cutaway that allows the Midi Wizard to nest inside the cabinet while displaying the patch number), and keep the GR-55 as close to the ground as possible. In this version, I also have a little space on top to expand. I'm building an LED meter for that spot, though an actual mechanical VU meter might be cool as well.

All this fits into a Fender DSP gig bag nicely.

Elantric

All this fits into a Fender DSP gig bag nicely.

This is a Fender CyberTwin Foot Controller gig bag

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0991553000

Csewell

Added the discontinued tc electronics stereo compressor. Brings it all together.

Elantric

QuoteAdded the discontinued tc electronics stereo compressor. Brings it all together.
YEs - thats a nice pedal! - Placed after the GR-55, I can see how that will really helps maintain uniform stage volume decibels for any sudden GR-55 Patch volume changes.
http://www.effectsbay.com/2011/06/tc-electronic-ndy-1-nova-dynamics-dual-compressor/
TC Electronic NDY-1 Nova Dynamics Dual Compressor

musicman65

Elantric:

Check out the "Samsung S7 Slate" tablet pc. I'm using mine right now. Its a Win7 64bit 11.6" i5 tablet. It makes all other tablets look like toys.

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/tablet-pcs/

bd

mbenigni

QuoteCheck out the "Samsung S7 Slate" tablet pc. I'm using mine right now. Its a Win7 64bit 11.6" i5 tablet. It makes all other tablets look like toys.

This, a copy of Guitar Rig and some softsynths, would make for a pretty killer rig.  I'll stick with my GR55 for now, but once the Antares guitars hit the market, it's going to get interesting for me again.

scotgarrison

Here is my pedal board.  I used to have around 14 pedals on this thing - mostly for simulating different synth sounds, pitches, and octaves.  I had hoped to get rid of all the pedals and use the GR55 amp models and effects through the guitar out to a rack power amp unit.  As most of you know that cannot be done.  Using the stereo outputs to pan left and right was also a dead end because of the effects bleed over.  Since I cannot seem to bring myself to convert to an all encompassing FRFR solution I have kept some of my analog effects and have given up on using the GR55 amps and effects.  Unfortunately, I was not able to achieve my end goal of shrinking my rig, but I can say that I am pleased with my solution as it truly is a best of both worlds scenario.  Just hope my back continues to stay strong.

betrayedpoet

Hello Everyone. Im new I just got my GR55 3 days ago. Sorry for the crappy picture.

Jim Williams

I think this a pretty simple setup compared to the array of complex pedal boards. For the most part I just plug into the PA. This is my hole rig and it all fits in a backpack and a mic stand bag.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

imerkat

This one is in its final stages. just ordered the wires and inputs to hook everything together. It's basically a parallel board for possible multi-layered tones

Jay

Hi Guys,

In the UK on the 12th we are having a special event in our Roland Planet stores based around the GR-55 and 'The future of guitar'. The idea is to show guitarists out there what is achievable with this kind of technology. So I've asked our staff in those shops to connect their GR55 to another device, whether that be a pc, iPad, synth module, whatever really... But the idea is to get other peoples creative juices flowing.

Some of your GR and VG setups are incredible and I'd really like to share what you've done with the masses so I'm inviting you to post on the BOSS UK and Roland UK Facebook pages, if you can't but want to share you can email me some pics to Jamie.dawe@roland.co.uk, and include your name or any other info you want to share and we'll post it on your behalf! It would be great to have your support on this and get more people exploring what's possible!

Thanks

Jay

Elantric

http://www.roland.co.uk/planetsaturday/?_cldee=ZWxhbnRyaWNAZ21haWwuY29t

This session will take place on Saturday 12th May in Roland Planet stores across the UK. Find the store closest to you here.

WHAT IS THE EVENT?

Your guitar can do far more than you realise. How about using it to record MIDI parts to your DAW, control virtual instruments, record audio via USB or model a multitude of guitars, effects and amps and blend them all together? You can even use your guitar to play anything from a bass synth to an entire string section. If you're a guitarist, you could be doing all of the above right now, so come along and we'll show you how.

Elantric

QuoteSome of your GR and VG setups are incredible and I'd really like to share what you've done with the masses so I'm inviting you to post on the BOSS UK and Roland UK Facebook pages, if you can't but want to share you can email me some pics to Jamie.dawe@roland.co.uk, and include your name or any other info you want to share and we'll post it on your behalf! It would be great to have your support on this and get more people exploring what's possible!

Thanks

Jay

Jay,

thanks for posting this invite.

I assume you want to see GR-55 / VG-99 user's rigs, regardless of origin?

I hope those who wish to share details of their rigs contact Jay at the above email address.

FWIW - here are threads with Rig and custom setups.

Show us your VGuitar Gear
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3110.0

Some highlights

Gary Willis's Modified GR-55
http://garywillis.com/gear/live-gear-list

My latest controller hack – There's a Korg NanoKontrol hiding in there. The 2 switches (patch +/- ) and horizontal expression knob (dry/pedal mix) are held on to the GR-55 with magnets. The FV is assigned to sequence volume and the other horizontal expression knob is assigned depending on the patch.

Add more Inputs to the GR-55 with a modified US-20

VG-99 Mods
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=328.0

datsunrobbie

Sounds like a great opportunity for showing Roland the parts they missed. If enough people are asking where they can buy a "modified US-20" to gain the extra inputs that Roland "forgot" maybe Roland will put together as US-21 that includes the mods. Probably not, but at least it can get people talking.

Elantric

Agree!!

Actually i'm contacting Gary Willis to learn more about this:

===

My latest controller hack – There's a Korg NanoKontrol hiding in there. The 2 switches (patch +/- ) and horizontal expression knob (dry/pedal mix) are held on to the GR-55 with magnets. The FV is assigned to sequence volume and the other horizontal expression knob is assigned depending on the patch.

CrispyFunk

im using my GR55 with an RC 20 and a RC 30 loopstation  and i also have a all in one EX board for my guitar out , im wanting to get rid of my FX board  because its so big i feel like i have to run around to get back and forth  from one side of the pedal board to the other side ,lol but i have a lot of fun  and i hope to upgrade a few things soon

joemarshalljmp

Boomski

Any further info on this yet ? Looks extremely interesting .

Quote from:  Elantric on May 02, 2012, 11:14:15 AM
Agree!!

Actually i'm contacting Gary Willis to learn more about this:

===