Need some help with brainspawn ECho

Started by alkahall, September 09, 2010, 01:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alkahall

First off thanks in advance.  I have so far setup my VG 99 with Komplete 6 and Forte.  Everything Is working great. I can add an instrument and such. Now I read here EChO is the way to go to setup so that I can use my FC300 to change sounds. Question is how do I set it up? Does the FC300 change the preset in Forte or does EChO change the patch?

Thanks again!

Jim Williams

I have found that Echo is unnessary use the vg99 to change sceens and you will be all set. I use this live with no trouble. If you add a few more kontakt libraries the sonic possibilities are endless. Vir2 has some nice ones and try some free user libries some are nice. Sorry I'm not much help with eCho but I dont have much exsperience with it....But I dont have much need for it.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

alkahall

Could you give me some detailed info on how to exactly config the VG99 so my VST sounds can be switched with my FC300 then? So do you use brainspawn ensemble as your interface with your VST's?

Thanks

musicman65

I use a hardware synth but changing synth patches (PC. = program change) should be the same.

There are two modes, Mono and Poly, in the VG99's Midi Patch settings. These settings are stored uniquely with each VG99 patch and transmit when notes are played.

Mono sends 1 string per MIDI channel and Poly sends all strings on 1 MIDI channel. You can't bend notes on Poly because the notes get garbled together. Mono allows bending and even separate sounds per string.

You can also send a PC (Program Change) from the settings found in the menu on the button below the Control button. I forget the name.(Song/BPM/PC?)

I send a PC command on patch change via the Song/BPM/PC setting to call up a "multi" program on my synth. A "multi" program is a group of settings with volume, sounds, etc all stored together. On my synth, the are called sending LSB=80 MSB=0 PC=xxx where xxx is the Multi number. This sets my initial volume and performance settings. Then I use the Mono or Poly to set what sounds per string. The VG99 has a bug that sets volume (CC#7) to 100 if you don't use a some other method like Multi to force the volume. Your software should have something similar but may be named different.

The difference in a hardware and software should be the MIDI routing. My VG99 sends out the midi port...yours should route out of the USB.

FYI...My synth is an older Emu Proteus 2000. Its a great single height rack module suitable for Guitar 2 Midi use. It has tons of settings and sounds, is compact, and can be found dirt cheap.

I hope this all makes sense and is applicable to soft synths.

Bd in tn

musicman65

Oh...one more thing. All the midi cammands are sent from the VG99 whenever a patch cange occurs. I run the FC300 in SysEx mode to control the VG99 and let the VG99 send all the stored commands to the synth. That way, as an example, my Bon Jovi "Dead or Alive Intro" VG99 patch calls all the synth settings and guitar/amp modeling together with only a press of the button on my FC300.

Bd in tn