Is there a way to make my 13 pin Ghost pu run variax equipment?

Started by Vic1iful, August 29, 2010, 04:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic1iful

Is it just a matter of changing out the end of the plug to fit the POD or is thre some kind of conversion nessesary? TIA

musicman65

The Variax guitars  process its piezos and do the modeling onboard so the output is a an analog (or perhaps proprietary digital). Therefor I am not sure there is anything to gain. The Pods don't model guitars, just amps...so plugging in with your normal mag pickups, a Variax,or VG Strat are your only options. The only thing the Cat5 cable connection to a Variax buys you is automatic guitar model program change stored with the Pods patch.

Bd in tn

Vic1iful

Oh, ok. My Pod X3Pro has a Variax input (Like the spider or vetta). So I wasn't sure I was missing out on much of anything. But you never know if Line 6 goes with a guitar to midi setup.

musicman65

If Line6 puts their Variax guitar modeling AND hex pitch to midi converter (like the vg99) in a single unit, I will be first in line to buy one! I hope Line6 buys the now defunct Axon technology and rolls it into a rack mounted VG99 killer. Those guys are great about releasing firmware and fixes too.

Come on Line6!

Bd in tn

germanicus

I doubt line 6 will do this. For one their basic midi implementation is light years behind roland. They could probably hire some engineers to make it more robust, but the degree of differentiation between what you can do with midi on roland gear and that in the Pod's is shocking.

Two, I dont think they see guitar-to-midi as a large enough market share to bother with. They seem focused on targets with larger potential sale demographics.

Three, they have said they are not interested in putting the variax tech in a box. Its much more profitable to sell a guitar with the variax tech in it than just a converter box (ala Fernandes selling sustainers in guitar versus a kit).

I'd love to see someone incorporate the dead Axon somewhere.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

musicman65

Good points and very tue. Roland is the only company that has shown long term commitment in Guitar to Midi. The could really benefit fron Axon's triggering technology. They would also gain a lot of the current Axon users too. Sounds like a win-win for Roland.

As for Line6, I like those guys for their responsive, customer driven support model. So I would love to see them get into the G2M market with Axon technology.

Oh well...I can always hope!

Bd in tn