Katana - Mac Audio through USB?

Started by silverman, September 02, 2017, 12:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverman

Hi all,

I am  bit of a noob and a hobbyist when it comes to guitar, so forgive me if I am asking something stupid or not aware of certain nomenclature. I will try to describe my question  in the simplest of terms.

I am trying to hook my katana 100 up to my mac through USB so that I can play along to youtube songs, etc. When I plug the USB chord from my Mac into the katana, all of the volume is muted on the mac as if it is trying to channel through the katana. However, I cannot get sound to come out.

I checked the sound setting on my Mac, and there is even an output option for the Katana, which is selected automatically upon being plugged in. However, i cannot seem to get it to output through the katana. The only solution I have found is to plug in an additional audio cable through my mac speakers and to the katana. This is not a terrible solution, but for ease of use, I would certainly prefer less cables over more.

Thanks

admin

That is how Katana is designed to work - use headphones on Katana
"* No signal from the USB will be output from the Speaker * "

You can create an Aggregate Core Audio device and route Katana as Audio input and your Mac Audio out as output - search on OSX AUDIO AGREGATE DEVICE

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19476.0

Boss Katana CORE AUDIO USB Driver for OSX
https://www.boss.info/global/support/by_product/katana-100/updates_drivers/f2184ae5-e01e-4469-99dd-1bbd580e6372/

PLEASE READ THE "README.TXT" file that is included and pops up after installation
( 90% of ALL problems with Roland/Boss computer connectivity via USB occurs from folks who disregard following the supplied "README instructions contained inside the zip / rar/ tgz files .
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=19476.0;attach=15092

[Mac USB Audio]
KATANA Input 1,2 = Processed Guitar tone with Amp modeling / FX
KATANA Input 3,4 = Dry Guitar tone ( as source for re-amping)

KATANA Output 1,2 = For feeding Mac USB Audio to Katana  Headphones for monitoring. ( * stereo source is mixed to Mono) 
KATANA Output 3,4 = For playback of dry guitar tracks from DAW  for re-amping)
"* No signal from the USB will be output from the Speaker * "

Brak(E)man

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

silverman

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a shot

Beanow

It's subtly mentioned in the Katana Manual.

Quote* No signal from the USB will be output from the speaker.

So, getting the Katana to cleanly playback a Youtube video / backing track over it's speaker(s) is being prevented.
The main purpose for sending audio *to the Katana* would be re-amping. By sending a dry guitar signal in over USB to the beginning of the chain, you get all the usual amp and effect processing applied. It will sound awful if you send your backing tracks through this chain though.