VGuitarForums has a new appearance!

Started by admin_shawnb, July 01, 2017, 09:17:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin_shawnb

VGuitarForums has a new appearance!

Benefits:
- The new theme is more mobile friendly
- It makes VGuitarForums adhere to Google's mobile standard, increasing search relevance of VGuitarForums content on Google
- Change is good...  It's time for a change...

Feeling nostalgic for the old theme?

If desired, you can re-select the old theme under Profile | Forum Profile | Modify Profiles | Look and Layout.

The very first setting on this page is "Current Theme".   If you click on the "change" link off to the right, you can change your theme. 

You can choose among these themes:
  -  Forum or Board Default - Choose this if you are OK with whatever we choose.  Now set to the new "Curve Theme"
  -  Curve Theme (Responsive) - This is the NEW beige, curvy, mobile-friendly theme for SMF.
  -  Core Theme (Original) - This is the boxy blue theme we used previously.

pasha811

I like it lot. First time I landed in I thought it was a fake site...  ;D

Great Job Admininstrators!
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

vtgearhead

HecticArt

I like it.
Thanks for putting the work!

GuitarBuilder

"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

gumtown

I like it, nice and curvy.  ;D
Yet to try with my android mobile
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

vablows

whippinpost91850

Thanks and Good to know. I mostly read this on my computer and don't car for the new look on my PC and MAC...But will probably give it a couple of days.

chrish

Quote from: gumtown on July 01, 2017, 01:56:11 PM
I like it, nice and curvy.  ;D
Yet to try with my android mobile
I'm on a Android mobile right now and I can verify that the appearance continues to be "nice and curvy" ;D

Hurricane

I'll try it but man - visually , this at first glance really kicked my peanuts/eyes in the nuts  :o .

Heh heh heh

HR

mooncaine

I'd like to see more padding on the rows. It's harder to read because there's less space between text and the borders and stuff. Apart from that, looks great! :)

gumtown

Confirmed it looks great on my android phone,
I can easily read the forum from my phone while driving.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

pasha811

Quote from: gumtown on July 01, 2017, 08:19:11 PM
Confirmed it looks great on my android phone,
I can easily read the forum from my phone while driving.

You have a very good eyesight (or a big Android screen ;-) )

Don't be fined for VG Guitar while driving!
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

gumtown

my android phone is what some would call a "phablet" (large screen phone).
No.. I don't really drive and phone, I now need reading glasses to see (phone & computer), so I can't see ahead to drive with them on.

I used to have 21/20 vision, but now my poor old aging eyes struggle to find where I left the glasses.  :P

The Forum looks good on the phone, where before different topic sections had vastly different font sizes.
On the computer, everything here looks well proportioned.

Cheers to ShawnB for all your great work,
a lot of back-ground stuff that many here may not be aware of his fabulous efforts to keep the Forum wheels turning.

Scatabrain

CodeSmart

Quote from: Scatabrain on July 02, 2017, 03:25:33 AM
Love it!

Thank you, nice face lift.
First look in the iPhone....WTF!!! What have they done!!!
But then after a couple of use, my old brain slowly start to adapt.
And then iPad and Win IE, yup it's great!!
/R
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Kenmac

"Let them brush your rock and roll hair."

sixeight

The theme has been available since October 2016. I made the change back then as Tapatalk no longer worked for some unknown reason. I can hardly remember what the old format looked like. Just that I was pinching and zooming like crazy trying to read vguitarforums on a mobile phone. The new theme is so much better.

shawnb

Quote from: sixeight on July 02, 2017, 12:30:06 PM
The theme has been available since October 2016. I made the change back then as Tapatalk no longer worked for some unknown reason. I can hardly remember what the old format looked like. Just that I was pinching and zooming like crazy trying to read vguitarforums on a mobile phone. The new theme is so much better.

Correct.  A few of us have used it for months, to make sure it was OK.  The only difference is that we made it the default theme used by everyone (even guests) now. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Pete1959

Nice work!

Glad to see that the donation I give every year is put to good use by a great team of contributors and designers.

Thanks team!

Mrchevy

I have to say, I prefer the old format. I guess I'm just use to it. It is nice that I can set it back to original in the profile settings. Of course you have to log in to see it that way which kinda sucks because there are times I just pop in to see whats up and do some reading without actually logging in. But I won't be a Buttercup  :'(, I'll suck it up and go on  ;) Still the same great site.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

shawnb

I admit I prefer the old color scheme & crisp lines of the old interface.  But I like the readability of the new one more - especially on my smartphone. 

The other problem with the old "Core" theme is that it was de-supported a few years ago...  Some mods & patches require manual fixes.  An upcoming SMF version is about to delete it outright.  Time to let it go. 

Maybe one of the songwriters on the forum can sing an ode to losing our Core & the perils of de-supporting things we like!  With a long coda at the end with lots of room for solos! 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

mccorp

I just became a member and the fresh new look appeared. It is esthetically pleasing and has kept me here some days longer than I had planned.  :) A great resource that has a wide range of topics. Thanks for all the hard work you do!
Sometimes you have to let go of the melody and focus on the rhythm

sixeight

Quote from:  cplm on October 19, 2018, 11:17:00 PM
I was wondering why no more GR55 and GP10 in the front banner.

This forum is home for many devices now. I counted 25 sections on specific devices. But vguitarforums started with the VG99/VB99  so I think it is very appropriate to have that one in the banner.

The VG99 still sets the standard for all the other ones!

gumtown