Katana Weird Reverb Noise (Spring / Red)

Started by abeetude, May 22, 2017, 09:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abeetude

Was wondering if anyone experience weird noises when using the Spring Reverb (Red) ? Difficult to describe, could be classified as a chirp / whistle / screech.

Other settings Amp selection to Crunch or lead or even clean with all eq, gain & volume to noon, boost green barely on and delay orange just enough to be audible - Reverb Red from Mild setting to Max setting those noises become apparent.

The things that i have tried but did not work:
Reset the amp to factory defaults.
Firmware 1.02

Could someone test if you get some sort of weird noise or do you get a clean reverb sound? Thank you

Beanow

Maybe you're talking about the spring reverbs drip-like sound?
If that's not what you mean it would be great if you could add a small recording.

gumtown

This is the sound of an original mechanical spring-line reverb.
With the signature mechanical 'boingy' sound of springs under tension.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

ritchytogo

You are absolutely right about the spring reverb. There is a problem. I got a k 212. It's very annoying. It could be the best feature yet nobody seem to complain. The clang sound is happening will you strum and it pretty regular. The real spring reverb on an amp clang when you manhandle the amp not plucking the strings  :(. I hope a new firmware will correct this.

Beanow

I'm still confused by what you both mean with clangs and whistles, but if you mean the sound from my sample...

There is a deeper setting called "Spring Sensitivity" which you can edit in Boss Tone Studio or Katana FxFloorBoard.

Compare the 0 sensitivity with 100 sensitivity recording. Nothing else changed in the patch.

abeetude

Quote from: Beanow on May 23, 2017, 07:25:18 AM
I'm still confused by what you both mean with clangs and whistles, but if you mean the sound from my sample...

There is a deeper setting called "Spring Sensitivity" which you can edit in Boss Tone Studio or Katana FxFloorBoard.

Compare the 0 sensitivity with 100 sensitivity recording. Nothing else changed in the patch.

Thank you! You nailed it, exactly the sound as per your sample! With the sensitivity set to 0 is the level of reverb still the same or do you loose some of the reverb?

@Gumtown - thank you for your video!

Beanow

Quote from: abeetude on May 23, 2017, 09:52:01 AM
With the sensitivity set to 0 is the level of reverb still the same or do you loose some of the reverb?

To my ears the lower sensitivity gives it somewhat less dynamics and less high end (because the additional spring sounds in the mid-high end go away). But otherwise seems the same.
Try it out for yourself. My recording was done quickly, so I normalized them to -1db separately. Either way I doubt your patch was already at 100% for the reverb so if you do lose a little just tweak it to your liking :P

abeetude

Quote from: Beanow on May 23, 2017, 11:51:36 AM
Try it out for yourself

Thank you Beanow, appreciate your input. Will give it a go closer to the w/e.  :)

p.s. for the muso's without a pc / laptop will be frustrated that you cant set it from the panel...  ???

admin

Quotep.s. for the muso's without a pc / laptop will be frustrated that you cant set it from the panel...  ???
But those with a basic Android smart phone and USB cable running Android 6.01 can adjust this using Condor's Katana Amp Editor for Android

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20234.0