Katana- HAPPY NEW AMP DAY....Boss Katana 100 watt 2X12 Combo

Started by Bernardo Gui, May 05, 2017, 04:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernardo Gui

Took my Fender Twin Amp to Guitar Center for an "upgrade".
I love the clean tones of the amp & the way it took pedals, it's just too damn heavy.
Been checking out The Katana Series of amps for the last few months. On paper & in videos they look & sound good. REAL GOOD. Boss discontinued The Cube Series Amps & replaced that with The Katana Series. The 1st thing I liked about this amp was the weight: 45lbs. My Fender Twin Amp weighed 90. For a 2X12 Combo this amp is kinda "short". It has a "kick stand" that allows you to tilt the amp. Problem is, not enough angle of the tipping of the amp. All the tones are real damn good & THIS AMP IS LOUD, It kicks down from 100 watts to 5 watts. It's not 100 watts of tube power but this is easily THE LOUDEST 100 watt solid state amp I have ever heard in my life. The clean tones are super good & surprisingly the overdrive & distortion tones are the best I've ever heard on any Boss product. That's my problem with Boss: really nice modulation effects & crappy distortions & overdrives. The Katana delivers in spades. REALLY GOOD overdrive & distortion tones & the "Brown Sound" setting is mind blowing. Five amp voices: Acoustic, Clean, Crunch, Lead, Brown. Global volume & presence. 12 built in effects. USB input. Headphone input. Effects loop. You can use 3 effects at a time. I road tested this amp with a Crossroads Guitar Shop Custom built Strat w/Fralin Blues Specials. The other guitar I used was a 2000 PRS Custom 24. The PRS sounded nice in all the setting but The Strat sounded stunning. I used the boost on the crunch setting and it was "Game Over".Gotta tell you, I was blown away. And again this is a loud amp. This amp did not come with a footswitch, had to order it. I gig regularly in The Washington area. I hate lifting heavy gear at the end of the night. There was a time when I didn't mind "suffering" for my tone. Those days are over. I took a 90lb. Fender Twin Amp to Guitar Center.They gave $500 for it. I immediately bought a 45lb. Katana 100 watt 2X12 Combo Amp. ($499). I ordered the footswitch for $89. I haven't bought ANYTHING from Guitar Center in 5 years. I deal strictly with Sweetwater. However the was a killer deal. I bought a killer amp & I am more than happy This amp does not sound, play or feel like a solid state amp. The Boss Katana Series. Try it. You are gonna be pleasantly surprised. I was.....

Bernardo Gui

ALSO.....onboard compression & wheels would have been nice on this amp.

vtgearhead

Quote from: Bernardo Gui on May 05, 2017, 04:32:27 AM
ALSO.....onboard compression & wheels would have been nice on this amp.

Either Mod or Fx (or both) can be configured as a compressor.  As an added plus, if you use Gumtown's FxFloorboard editor, you can setup compression without losing boost or delay.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20625.0