GP-10 ported patch from VG-99 to GP-10 - virtually the same

Started by aliensporebomb, February 27, 2017, 05:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aliensporebomb

Here's a recording of a patch I did on the VG-99 during the first year I had the thing:

Here's a new recording of a patch I did on the GP-10 that duplicates a similar technique to get the same type of sound:

So, how did I do it?

The original technique for a lot of sounds on the 99 was pitch shifted Les Pauls with humbuckers (I tried all the pickups, the humbucker model had the most pronounced effect for whatever reason) then processing the modeled guitar (chorus, modulation etc) and further processing effected part of those sounds (delay, reverb).

Notice with the GP-10 it's a more hi-fi dynamic sound (and the recording of that VG-99 patch was done on an old PCM based digital audio recorder with a lousy preamp so it typically sounded "higher-fi" than as illustrated). 

I'm trying to figure out how to save these patches individually since the last time I tried to save just one it saved every patch on my GP-10 which isn't what I'm aiming for - I don't want to overwrite everyones GP-10 patches, I just want to give you one patch to try.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

aliensporebomb

If all goes well yes.

I've been playing far too much with a electric guitar patch that works like a real amp - you back off on the volume and it's kind of trebly clean and then you crank it and it overdrives and reacts like a real amp.  I spent a lot more time just playing with that one than programming but have gotten back to it.  And because that patch uses your regular pickups too and in fact you don't NEED a GK pickup to make it go you can just plug any guitar in and use that one.  So, basically, that's two GP-10 patches I've made.

Like I said, I need to figure out how to save individual presets so people can grab them rather than a whole bunch that wipes their carefully worked on GP-10s out.

That being said the fact that the VG-99 is 16-bit USB audio out and the GP-10 24-bit is a revelation too.  With similar settings the VG lends itself to different coloration of the sound versus the GP which is more "high-fi" for possibly richer sounding faux synth sounds.  So it's early days here yet but the thing is promising for sure.  The lack of dual data paths is one limitation but you can kind of get around that in a different way.  Oh and I just got another idea while standing here thinking about it.

alexmcginness

VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

chrish

Asb-Do you see the gp-10 (or two in parallel) as being a replacement for the vg99?

i sure wish you would get a sy-300. Come over to the dark side, we serve ice cream and cake. :-)

aliensporebomb

Quote from: chrish on February 27, 2017, 10:21:22 AM
Asb-Do you see the gp-10 (or two in parallel) as being a replacement for the vg99?

i sure wish you would get a sy-300. Come over to the dark side, we serve ice cream and cake. :-)

Two GP-10 in parallel still are missing some things the VG-99 has however it's not a total deal breaker. 
There are some people here who have two GP-10 and are using them as such. 
For me the two parallel signal paths on the 99 is one of its big strengths.
In other words, using the two paths to create patches that are orchestrated sounds (using the polyphonic pitch transposers).
On the 10 you can still do impressive sounds, plus the onboard actual synth can augment the existing sounds in addition to standard guitar.
The 10 has arguably clearer sounds with more dynamic range.

My feeling?  Get both!

SY-300?  if I find a good deal.  People don't throw hardware at me for free (but they should!) and they're all $700 from what I can see.
I'm not sure if the SY-300 is too much of a good thing or not, I'd love to try one out.

alexmcginness

VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

slooky

nicely done, sounds really good,,waiting in anticipation for the ptach

alexmcginness

So a VG-99 two GP-10s and a GR 55 plus codesmarts 4 out gk splitter box and a new MIDX-40 WITH 4 USB OUTS and an Ipad for extra synths and a Livid guitar wing, plus a virtual Jeff, Bill Ruperts fingers,  and youd have the ultimate guitar rig.... this week. ;-)

( It just never ends does it.... )

mccorp

I would be interested tin trying the Eno-esque Organ patch.
Sometimes you have to let go of the melody and focus on the rhythm