SY-300 - Another Good Trick for Cleaner SY-300 Polyphony

Started by Rhcole, February 04, 2017, 12:47:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhcole

This one works for sure, I tried it last year but never created permanent patches. It won't help you much with your bar gig though, sorry. But you Ambient guys, and others who like drones and held notes, take notice.
Remember, the SY allows you to hold pitches. AND, you can do it per oscillator. Well, since the SY no longer has to translate a pitch once you have it held, it doesn't interfere with other pitches being played presently. So, with three oscillators and the correctly assigned foot switches, you can create monster phat HELD sounds that you can play on top of.
This also means that clean intervals, say root-third, fifth, etc. can also be stacked PER OSCILLATOR. It's huge sounding. Throw in pitch shifts on your oscillators and FX, you synth buffs will have some fun.
Downside One- Yank out those external switches from your closet, you're gonna need them.
Downside Two- You have to be agile switching held notes on and off with your feet.
Somebody really into this could impress us all with the interesting music they could make. Although I tend to think of the SY as a quasi-synth, this trick makes it perform like a real synth for sure.

Headless68

Interesting - is it possible to hold each osc on an individual switch for each but release all three together from another single switch ?

Rhcole

You might be able to do this via MIDI control. That gets beyond my skills.

chrish

For me, the two sy's are a table top synth and for ambient type music it's very easy to use hands instead of feet for all sorts of  switch and dial modulations and ribbons and beams oh my..

Feet
Add 4 exps pedals for more modulations via midi cc# and to top it off, picking dynamics for more modulations and pitch bends and vibrato.

Then throw two external control switches for ext synth sustain or hold types.

AUDIO-
guitar-13 pin hex >VG99>SY300 A&B >RC-300>AMP

MIDI-
RC-300  clock and midi cc# out> in vg99 midi merge>VG99 pitch to midi and hold out>EXT SYNTHS and SY 300 A&B

gumbo

Quote from: chrish on February 04, 2017, 06:36:46 PM
For me, the two sy's are a table top synth and for ambient type music it's very easy to use hands instead of feet for all sorts of  switch and dial modulations and ribbons and beams oh my..

Feet
Add 4 exps pedals for more modulations via midi cc# and to top it off, picking dynamics for more modulations and pitch bends and vibrato.

Then throw two external control switches for ext synth sustain or hold types.

AUDIO-
guitar-13 pin hex >VG99>SY300 A&B >RC-300>AMP

MIDI-
RC-300  clock and midi cc# out> in vg99 midi merge>VG99 pitch to midi and hold out>EXT SYNTHS and SY 300 A&B

...take two SYs and call me in the morning...   ;D
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

chrish

pasha811

Quote from: Rhcole on February 04, 2017, 12:47:28 AM
This one works for sure, I tried it last year but never created permanent patches. It won't help you much with your bar gig though, sorry. But you Ambient guys, and others who like drones and held notes, take notice.
Remember, the SY allows you to hold pitches. AND, you can do it per oscillator. Well, since the SY no longer has to translate a pitch once you have it held, it doesn't interfere with other pitches being played presently. So, with three oscillators and the correctly assigned foot switches, you can create monster phat HELD sounds that you can play on top of.
This also means that clean intervals, say root-third, fifth, etc. can also be stacked PER OSCILLATOR. It's huge sounding. Throw in pitch shifts on your oscillators and FX, you synth buffs will have some fun.
Downside One- Yank out those external switches from your closet, you're gonna need them.
Downside Two- You have to be agile switching held notes on and off with your feet.
Somebody really into this could impress us all with the interesting music they could make. Although I tend to think of the SY as a quasi-synth, this trick makes it perform like a real synth for sure.

Not an owner of SY-300 but the last threads on the subjects have lighten up my GAS.
So are you suggesting to play one note at a time and then  (minor, major, 7 other) hold it by foot as it is played?
i.e. for a C you will play C,E,G or you will play C and the oscillators will make the rest?

Thanks for explaining.
Best
Pasha
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

chrish

Each osc can be pitch shifted to any interval -2 to +2 octaves.
But i think the op is suggesting slow building chords using the hold feature. Each or any combo of virtual osc can be held.
be careful lighting that gas, i wound up with 2 of these sy units.

I have found that holding an osc works but the note degrades in sound quality the longer it is held.

pasha811

Quote from: chrish on February 05, 2017, 06:58:24 AM
Each osc can be pitch shifted to any interval -2 to +2 octaves.
But i think the op is suggesting slow building chords using the hold feature. Each or any combo of virtual osc can be held.
be careful lighting that gas, i wound up with 2 of these sy units.

I have found that holding an osc works but the note degrades in sound quality the longer it is held.

Thanks. I'll keep the GAS under control then.  :-)
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Rhcole

The notes are similar to the results of a Freeze pedal. They aren't as good as the original because they are sampled slices of the audio, but they still sound good. It also depends on how well the original note came out. But, it's like having three selectable freeze pedals at once using the Oscillator voices. You could program the Ctl pedals to hold or just release the notes depending on what you want. And, you could play on top of all with your regular guitar or the guitar with any available Oscillators.

An Ambient or similar musician could base an entire style around bringing the different voices in and out. I think you would need to be sitting down to get the most out of it.
Jeez Chrish, you could layer monster sounds with two SY-300s. Have you tried this?

chrish

I found that the 2 units sound the best together when i take a mono out from each and that combo becomes the stereo image.

The vg99 in front of the sy's produces an almost infinite combo of sounds. I downloaded a dark viola patch from here and i use that a lot similar to the way you use the mel9 into the sy.

The sy likes a fat, rich audio sound wave going in, with an eye on the sy input levels.

I rarely play more than a 3 note chord.

Yea, you are correct, the held note sounds  just like a sample slice.

Rhcole

Check out the patch I just loaded that features 3 Oscs with hold, 2 latched and one momentary.
If you've ever wondered what sunrise through the atmospheric haze looked like from one of Jupiter's moons, now's your chance.