GT-100 - Advanced Preamps vs Vintage Preamps

Started by wkcchampion, November 16, 2016, 02:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkcchampion

Hello everybody,

I have a question regarding the PREAMP models, available in the PREAMP block.

If you browse the Parameters List document, you'll see that they are organized in two categories:
- Advanced preamps
- Vintage preamps

I noticed that:
- The Advanced Preamps only include BOSS unique models, i.e. they are not "imitations" of existing (real) guitar amplifiers
- The Vintage Preamps are "virtual reproductions" of well known amplifiers, such as Marshall, Vox, Fender, Mesa Boogie and other brands.

So, my question is the following.
Are the Advanced Preamps named so because they are Advanced, therefore better sounding or more accurate models than the latter?
Or is the modelling technology the same between the two, and they are just set in two categories, to distinguish between BOSS models and other manufacturers' models?

All the best
Marco

wkcchampion

gumtown

Not sure,
the advanced preamps seem to sound a bit more organic than the vintage.

I got the best mileage out of the custom preamp, being able to tweak the added custom settings to get a preamp type that I like.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

wkcchampion

Quote from: gumtown on November 17, 2016, 02:32:20 AM
Not sure,
the advanced preamps seem to sound a bit more organic than the vintage.

I got the best mileage out of the custom preamp, being able to tweak the added custom settings to get a preamp type that I like.

That's my impression as well. Hence the question.
I fiddled with the custom speakers only, not the amps - yet :)

Yohanes

To answer OP question, I quote Jim Bybee article from Boss website:

"...BOSS has developed a group of all-new "Advanced" amps. Instead of replicating specific amps of the past, the Advanced amps employ BOSS' years of research in analyzing the unique tone and behavior characteristics of vintage classics to create a series of original "super amps." In concept, this approach is similar to the way modern "boutique" amp designers combine the best concepts from the past with new tweaks to create their own unique amps. In the Advanced category, the GT-100 gives you eight different BOSS boutique models, ranging from sweet clean amps to insane, over-the-top metal machines and everything in-between.

BOSS has also completely revamped and updated its library of classic COSM amps for the GT-100. This "Vintage" category includes amps found in previous GT processors, such as the venerable Roland JC-120, American tweed, blackface, and high-gain amps, Brit combos and stacks, and more. What's different is that they've been tweaked to take full advantage of the Roland ESC2 DSP's power, taking the already great-sounding previous models up quite a few notches in tone quality. The COSM amp section also features a Custom model, with special parameters that allow you to build your own amp with a tonal character just how you like it."
Yamaha Pacifica 510V
Roland G-707
Godin Freeway SA
Boss GP-10
Roland GR-50