New Product to protect your ears

Started by pasha811, September 06, 2016, 12:18:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pasha811

Recently I have stumbled onto this:

http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/index.php/news/read/review-flare-audio-isolate-earplugs/021395

I was looking for ears protectors to avoid worsening my tinnitus.

Hope it helps.
Best Regards
Pasha
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

FreeTime

rolandvg99

I've been using custom molded plugs with ER-25 filters since mid 90's and they "sound" great. I'm using the Etymotic ER-4S or Shure SE215 when utilizing IEM. The ER-4S with Shure black "olive" tips reduces noise by 30-40 db including low frequencies. My Extreme Isolation EX29s are useless at reducing bass and are only used for tracking vocals in my home studio.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

vxboogie

Quote from: rolandvg99 on September 06, 2016, 10:31:25 AM
I've been using custom molded plugs with ER-25 filters since mid 90's and they "sound" great. I'm using the Etymotic ER-4S or Shure SE215 when utilizing IEM. The ER-4S with Shure black "olive" tips reduces noise by 30-40 db including low frequencies. My Extreme Isolation EX29s are useless at reducing bass and are only used for tracking vocals in my home studio.
i use the ER-25 filters as well in Alclair molds and it's definitely the best sounding solution I've found for concerts, etc. when I'm not using my IEMs.

vtgearhead

I've been very happy with the gray compressible foam tips on my ER-4s, but they do tend to slip out of place.  What is the part number for those Shure tips?

HecticArt

I've been using these for really loud situations.

They are a bit too much for normal practices and even some concerts, which seem to be getting quieter than they used to be.

I have tinnitus too. I had my hearing checked, and I've got no loss, just the ringing.

I've been using cotton at practices lately, and get no ringing whatsoever but I need something better that lets a bit more frequency through for practices. I'll check out some of these that you're sharing. Thanks for posting.

rolandvg99

Quote from: snhirsch on September 06, 2016, 05:24:18 PM
I've been very happy with the gray compressible foam tips on my ER-4s, but they do tend to slip out of place.  What is the part number for those Shure tips?

They come in three sizes. Shure Black foam tips "olives"

pasha811

Thanks. What is IEM? (sorry to ask)

Best Regards
Pasha

admin

Brak(E)man

I use moulds 25 Db or 45 Db
25 even when playing acoustic.

I have IEM but I stopped using them
The chance of ruining your hearing is greater
than the chance of saving it.

My advice , don't use IEM , it's always much louder than you think.
Use 25-Db moulds
One snare drum hit is 160 Db

That can get you into the
kingdom of hyperaccussis and tinnitus
instantly

and there's no way of knowing if you
are likely to get hearing problems or not
even if you've never experienced problems
like ringing etc before
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

rolandvg99

"Rules" for IEMs if you care about your hearing:
1. ALWAYS use in both ears. Using one will prevent the ears natural protection against loud noises from doing its work on the exposed ear, while it also leads to the audio in the remaining monitor to be cranked to match the loudness of the sound perceived in the exposed ear. Actually: using a one ear IEM solution should be thought of as the fastest way to wreck your hearing.
2. Get earbuds with a good seal and loads of attenuation of outside noises.
3. Rise the IEM volume to match the level of bone transmitted sound. Avoid going over that threshold.
4. Us a fast limiting device before the signal enters your IEMs to avoid sudden bursts.
5. Use good quality earbuds that deliver clear audio at low levels which again links back to number 2.
6. Try to use a stereo mix whenever available as this leads to better clarity at significantly lower volumes.
7. Clean and disinfect your gear regularly to avoid infections in the ear canal.

Follow these steps and you should be able to preserve your hearing for a long time.

Brak(E)man

A thing to know about earplugs as well as IEM are following.
Removing one or two earplugs or IEM for just a fraction of a second
and plugging them back in
reduces the damping factor with 90% for the rest of the time your playing

- Lydia Lunch

chrish

I also have tin ear and just use the -25db foam ear plugs and don't play with a kit drummer or bass player. Our band had 2 synth guitarists and a hand drummer playing all kinds of percussion instruments, which included a very small cymbal that he hit with his hand or brushes.

As mentioned in the thread, it only takes one very loud sound, drum hit or gun shot, to mess with your hearing. It's a sound pressure level vs duration formula.

pasha811

Quote from: admsustainiac on September 07, 2016, 02:51:03 AM
IEM = In Ear Monitors

Thanks (my shameful face isn't shown here but my cheeks went red)

;D

pasha811

Quote from: Brak(E)man on September 07, 2016, 02:59:06 AM

One snare drum hit is 160 Db

That can get you into the
kingdom of hyperaccussis and tinnitus
instantly

and there's no way of knowing if you
are likely to get hearing problems or not
even if you've never experienced problems
like ringing etc before

Wise words. For me was a Tube Fender Amp with ME-25 gone crazy from very low volume (almost audible) to big feedback. The Dark Lady of Tinnitus since then has a hold on me. I blame myself everyday since then.

chrish

The worst  hit of tinitus for me was a quick walk in front of a speaker array at a blues festival. I was even wearing ear plugs but 180+db (est. speakers array) minus 25db (plug reduction) is still LOUD. And then to top it off, after the show, our band went home and  set up outside and played for a couple of hours.

whippinpost91850

My worse case and continuous for last 3 years, was after taking some prescribed medicine

Elantric

My worst case was age 17 and we played a party in a raw concrete basement and I had just obtained a Electro-Harmonix Screaming Bird Treble Booster for my Fender Bassman.
But the ear damage occurred upon one song ending when the drummer played extended drum rolls on his giant Ziljian Ride Cymbal

Within 20 seconds my brain heard this odd sound like a low to high sine wave sweep tone and I had ringing in my ears for 6 months and could barely hear anything above 5khz

Brak(E)man

Mine has lasted since 96 playing the pit with 128 Db
Even when seated next to the engines of a jet
the howl in my head is way louder than takeoff or landing
but the worst is the hyper accusis
everything above 65-70 Db hurts

- Lydia Lunch

pasha811

1981. Affirmation by George Benson. I was sixteen. As a Bass Player I got my 15 seconds of celebrity to have a bass solo.
Unfortunately I got that in front of my amp speaker.. Armageddon. Hearing loss, 60 days in hell. I got that bilateral tinnitus (a D and a Eb in my right and left ear). I stopped playing in a band in 2001 (I was 36). Then the Tinnitus eventually went away at 38.
After this hiatus I played in 2007 and 2008 for a double reunion, but with ear protectors, the yellow sponges from 3M as i did since 1982. It was horrible because the frequency cut was not comfortable, sounds were muddy. 2013 I started playing again. Still muddy but protected, until that day in 2014.. in a Guitar Shop, testing an ME-25.. since then, not only I got Tinnitus back but my sensitiveness to music, especially distorted guitar solos has increased to a point that makes going to concerts and clubs painful afterwards.
I do not want to give up. Hearing loss above 5K now but still cable of hearing almost all spectrum of music except overtones.
That's why I'm looking for new ear protectors. I think that with a V-Drum we can contain the drummer volume and play almost in the acoustic instrument level with benefits for me, still wearing a protection. The Alpine Brand (-20db) I am using now is not 100% ok with me because I have small ears canals however it reduces volume and it's not muddy anymore.

Brak(E)man

You should get custom molded earplugs with ER 25

- Lydia Lunch

rolandvg99

Quote from: Brak(E)man on September 11, 2016, 02:52:12 AM
You should get custom molded earplugs with ER 25

+1 And to be honest it's not that expensive.

pasha811

Thanks to all. Very interesting and not expensive for what they give back. :)

pasha811

After some Google searches I have some questions:

• ER 25 it's a filter and has to be covered with a custom or standard mold, right?
  • Earesers have very different prices, one it's 246 Euros, the other 60.. what is the right one? the box looks just the same

Thanks
Pasha