Is the Gibson Digital Guitar initiative just gone, gone, gone?

Started by Rhcole, April 25, 2016, 10:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhcole

The thing is, the chickens are starting to come home to the coop. Gibson just isn't going to be able to bob and weave that much longer.
I don't know what they SHOULD have done- Asian and other competitors keep upping their games, and have ever since CnC machining came on the scene and made cheaper guitars pretty good.
Couple inexpensive, abundant competition with a decline in the size of the guitar-playing audience.  How much farther can they get on name-recognition alone? When Jimmy Page etc. are gone will the Les Paul still rule? Will anybody care that much?

Yikes, tough to solve.

I do know that cutting engineering corners, flawed and overpriced digital products, and a "we-know-best" lack of customer interfaces hasn't worked, for sure.

Henry also wanted to parlay the Gibson name into other areas not related to guitar production. And they acquired many companies, perhaps not always with favorable results for the acquired targets.  ::)

Better hurry, Henry.

vtgearhead

I have to admit I'm still scratching my head over the Gibson reference monitors. 
http://www.gibson.com/Products/Pro-Audio/2015/Les-Paul-Reference-Monitor.aspx

rolandvg99

Gibson's stocking policy is slowly killing the brand in Nordic countries. To sell a Gibson Custom one need to stock: 10 Epiphones, 10 Gibson regulars and at least 3 custom guitars. With a 15-20% margin that's a lot of money locked in inventory in countries with a combined population smaller than Texas. Fender have a slightly better standing and therefore Gibson is left out of the stores.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

Elantric

Quote from: rolandvg99 on October 24, 2017, 12:37:22 AM
Gibson's stocking policy is slowly killing the brand in Nordic countries. To sell a Gibson Custom one need to stock: 10 Epiphones, 10 Gibson regulars and at least 3 custom guitars. With a 15-20% margin that's a lot of money locked in inventory in countries with a combined population smaller than Texas. Fender have a slightly better standing and therefore Gibson is left out of the stores.

Indeed - this issue is definitely the hurdle.

Its called the "Buy in" terms for qualification as a Gibson Dealer.

It can hit $150k-$175k per year , and explains why there are few Gibson dealers. Gibson figures if the dealer can not sell that quanitity per year  - who needs them. 

vtgearhead

Quote from: rolandvg99 on October 24, 2017, 12:37:22 AM

Not just Nordic countries.  My local music store here in the States cited minimum stocking requirements as the primary reason they do not carry Gibson products.

rolandvg99

Quote from: snhirsch on October 24, 2017, 04:57:30 AM
Not just Nordic countries.  My local music store here in the States cited minimum stocking requirements as the primary reason they do not carry Gibson products.

Go local music store! Seems the only way to make Gibson change their policy is a world wide boycott.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: rolandvg99 on October 24, 2017, 06:21:27 AM

Go local music store! Seems the only way to make Gibson change their policy is a world wide boycott.

Or a drastic change in financial situation, like what is happening now.  Faced with this crisis, the logical course is to shed the less profitable businesses and stick to what they do best, but now on a smaller scale.  Profitability and cash flow will now take priority over revenue growth.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Rhcole

...yeah, but they gotta pay some bills first. If they can't, the brand itself may be at risk and they could end up being broken up.

Watch out for blow-out sales and desperation quality drops in products, both common for companies at risk

Elantric

Quote from: Rhcole on October 24, 2017, 08:44:50 AM
...yeah, but they gotta pay some bills first. If they can't, the brand itself may be at risk and they could end up being broken up.

Watch out for blow-out sales and desperation quality drops in products, both common for companies at risk

There have been some spectacular deals on Gibson 2015 Floor Models from Chicago Music Exchange on Reverb.com
https://reverb.com/shop/cme?query=floor&sort=price%7Casc&page=5

Last month located a LP Traditional with fat 1" thick neck for $1,100
https://reverb.com/shop/cme

These typically get zero love from Gibson purists - but the "Rounded XL" neck is perfect for me