Alto TS212 $300

Started by Elantric, March 28, 2016, 09:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Alto Truesonic TS212 12" 2-Way Powered Speaker 
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/alto-truesonic-ts212-12-2-way-powered-speaker?
http://www.altoproaudio.com/products/ts212

1100-WATT 12-INCH 2-WAY POWERED LOUDSPEAKER
550W continuous, 1100W peak Class D power
12-inch (304.8 mm) LF driver, 2.5-inch (63.5mm) high-temperature voice coil
1-inch (25.4 mm) neodymium HF driver with precision waveguide
Bi-amplified design with precision active crossover and EQ
Integrated 2-channel mixer with dual XLR 1/4-inch combo mic/line inputs and independent level controls
Custom engineered high-efficiency class D amplifiers with passive cooling design – No fan means the speaker runs cleaner, quieter and has greater long-term reliability
Ground-Lift switch
Contour switch for increased EQ control
Electronic clip, thermal and transducer overdrive protection
Compact, lightweight, trapezoidal cabinet design for easy transport and installation
Angled rear panel for wedge monitor applications
Stand and pole-mountable with integral M10 suspension points
XLR Link output
Designed and tuned in the USA

HAMERMAN409

These are $299 at Guitar center also.

BTW: I bought both of my TS112A's used from Guitar and am quite happy with them so thanks for the heads up on Alto.

Elantric

Review of new Alto TS212
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/alto-ts-210-vs-line-6-l2m.1691720/

adagosto wrote>

Personal experience here....

I took my Line 6 Amplifi Table Top down to Guitar Center yesterday and plugged it into an Alto TS212 and put it through its paces.

Results: I, and the staff, were pretty impressed. It did better than I thought it would do. I did start the demo forgetting to turn on a amp cabinet model, so the initial "test" was awful. The sound was literally horrible. No bottom end, thin, just crap. then I remembered I had turned the cabinet models off!!! CRAP!! DO OVER....

The speaker was most responsive to the mids (a good thing), a little less responsive to the bass and the least responsive to adjustments in the treble. The amp models were all clear as a bell, just like it sounds with headphones on. Nice.

Anyway, the tones were not as good as I can get with the Amplifi plugged into a DT25 amp and cabinet, but, for the $300.00 price point, it is honestly a giggable tool. Is it the best, NO WAY. Is it the best under $500.00 for one speaker, I'd say absolutely yes. Just for fun we tried the 10" QSC and the Alto was a clear, obvious winner. I think the Alto cabinet design is better suited for modeling tones from a magic box. The speakers also sound extremely good with a simple acoustic guitar hookup. Add the Amplifi Table Top to it (with No Amp) add a compressor, chorus, delay and reverb and BOOM!! Bring on the coffee shop!! The QSC 10" sounded amazing with the acoustic guitar, but the people in the same coffee shop would NOT be able to hear the difference. You'd end up with the same amount in your tip jar with either speaker. I think the Alto TS line is a home run.

My only question for ivanh3 is, are you sure you have taken every step to ensure your modeling gear was configured for the test? I have to believe you have done this and you either got a bad apple, or you are a certifiable tone snob (not a bad thing to be, just an expensive thing to be). I mean this with the utmost respect to you.

Sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with the TS. Good luck!

Redvers

I just got one of these. Played at home but not gigged yet. Sounds really good. Having a really flat sound makes tweaking the amp models on the GP-10 a lot more fun.

Codeseven

Sure like to see an Alto TS212 vs TS210 review. I've read that the previous model TS110 was preferred by many (using amp modelers) because the TS112 tended to be bass heavy. I assume it'll be the same with these newer models.

Redvers

OK so I just did a gig with it in a small club. Just to put it through its paces I ran it as I would a guitar amp, no PA. I'll be honest it ran out of juice and went into clipping towards the end, not exactly volume on tap. A few points though: I got the feeling the sound dispersed a lot better out front than on stage. Also this wasn't aimed directly at my head. Finally, it didn't seem to struggle with bass at all. My acoustic patches were great. It was the regular guitar stuff which suffered.

I'm not sure how to set the volume on the GP-10 or the speaker to avoid clipping. Also I tried hooking the direct out to the mixer but it was in the red in the pfl so I don't bother. Finally having the clip led on the back bus a pain.

For my next gig I'll aim the speaker right at my head and go through the PA.

Sam Amato

Quote from: Redvers on April 23, 2016, 05:49:46 PM
OK so I just did a gig with it in a small club. Just to put it through its paces I ran it as I would a guitar amp, no PA. I'll be honest it ran out of juice and went into clipping towards the end, not exactly volume on tap. A few points though: I got the feeling the sound dispersed a lot better out front than on stage. Also this wasn't aimed directly at my head. Finally, it didn't seem to struggle with bass at all. My acoustic patches were great. It was the regular guitar stuff which suffered.

I'm not sure how to set the volume on the GP-10 or the speaker to avoid clipping. Also I tried hooking the direct out to the mixer but it was in the red in the pfl so I don't bother. Finally having the clip led on the back bus a pain.

For my next gig I'll aim the speaker right at my head and go through the PA.

I know this thread is kind of old but I'd like know what your gain staging was like for this setup.  How high was the volume on the Alto TS212?  I'm wondering if the clipping was because you were hitting the input of the speaker too hard with your GP-10 or if the output section of the Alto TS212 really just couldn't keep up.  That would suck and mean to me that the advertised specs of that speaker are questionable.

I'm thinking of buying either a TS212 or TS210 to run guitar through via a Zoom G3x and synth stuff via a Fishman Tripleplay and Mainstage.  Based on the volume and sound a keyboard player I work with gets from his QSC K8, which has similar power specs, either one of these should get the job done but maybe as is usually the case, you get what you pay for. 

Anyway, can you describe your gain staging and let us know if you ever got it working better for gigs?

Codeseven

I've heard/read somewhere that the TS212 is bass heavy when it comes to amp modelers. That when using software the TS210 has plenty of bass and is easier to get a more accurate representation of the Amp being modeled.