Recreating the GR55 Hold 2 Function in MainStage

Started by Witelite, August 29, 2015, 11:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Witelite

I am looking into MainStage and a switch from the GR55 though I can't seem to recreate the hold function that enables you to hold a chord and play on top of its without holding the notes after you depress the hold function.

If I use sustain it will sustain all the notes including any additional notes played. The Sostenuto thing (66) doesn't seem to do it either.

Any ideas???

Thanks

MM

vablows

You cannot use the Hold function from an external source on the GR-55.
Only the control button will engage it.  :(

Witelite

Thanks for the quick reply. I wasn't clear. I meant switch as in no longer using the GR55. Using MainStage direct. So i was wondering how to replicate the various hold options on the GR55 in MainStage. (i.e. hold and don't sustain future notes (option 2 or 3), hold and prevent future notes from triggering (option 2 or 3)

Thanks

Elantric

You were perfectly clear.

Its just a sad fact that Roland has not provided any path for external MIDI CC control to enable  / disable the GR-55's Hold feature.

The VG-99 does - but the GR-55 does not.

Witelite

Thanks guys for your support. As you note, I don't believe the GR55 sends cc messages for this so it is an internal proprietary function.

A looper idea is OK but getting the timing to work over it would be very difficult as you mention.

A straight sustain (cc64) only replicates the fourth version of the hold function as described in the manual (HOLD 4)

But follow me on this and I think I can replicate unless you guys have a better idea. (I am still learning MainStage)

What if you created two identical patches.

One the first one the triggering of the sustain pedal would also advance to the next patch and hold the sound from the prior (I think you can do that)

One the second patch, you can either mute all notes, to replicate one of the hold functions (HOLD 2)
Or , you can play them normally without sustaining  (HOLD 3)

You can then program that patch to go back to the previous patch when you press the pedal.

This would require two patches for overtime you want to do this, but given there is no limitation there, I don't think that is an issue.

I also haven't figured out a way to replicate the HOLD 1 function described in the manual but I don't use that one so not a big deal.

Make sense? Any better ideas?

Thanks guys!!

MM

Elantric

I guess you are forgetting the unavoidable giant 300ms "mute"  between patch changes on GR-55  - thats built into the hardware

Makes your Hold example a non starter.

Witelite

Doesn't exist on MainStage. I'm looking to recreate it in MainStage and not use the tone generator on the GR55. I will only use that for the midi connections

Make sense?

Elantric

Witelite

Well if any of you guys are interested, I figured out a good way to do this.

- Insert a MIDI FX Modifier into the channel strips you wish to hold

- Create a Modifier Preset (HoldOff) that has Input Event to Off and ReAssign to Off (Essentially does nothing)

- Create another Modifier Preset (Hold On) that has Input Event to Note Velocity and ReAssign to Off (essentially cuts off all input)

- Map the Sustain Pedal as Normal but add a mapping assignment that loads the "HoldOn" preset in the Modifier

- Do it as Momentary so it reverts back when the Hold Pedal is released.

Effectively this sustains what was playing and prevents future midi notes from triggering until you release the hold pedal.

May be better ways but this seems to be best I've found

MM

guitarnstuff

Thanks Witelite. I originally found this on the Apple Forum by you. Thank you again. I've been wanting this solution for over a year. I've applied this in Alchemy and other synths in Mainstage but I can't figure how to do this with the B3 organ. Any ideas how to make that puppy sustain with the pedal?