GR-55 - shawnex - rough draft at a Skrillex sound

Started by shawnb, June 12, 2015, 06:29:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnb

There was a request elsewhere for this:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15221.0

I love that Skrillex sound.  I view them as the cultural successors to Kraftwerk.  Doing stuff that KW would have done had there been control surfaces back then. 

Skrillex uses a lot of raw saw sounds.  Not at lot of 'treatment', no reverb, delays, etc...  They do, however, use a lot of CC/control surface manipulation, changing filter curves & LFOs. 

Although the GR-55 isn't REALLY setup to do this right (I think you'd need a good glitch sound and a control surface), you can do other nifty things with it, guitar-oriented things.  I play around with the whammy (maybe a bit too much...) in the attached demo. 

Since I don't know what gear y'all have, I just kept it to a minimum, using only the GR-55's CTL pedal and the EXP pedal.  To use this patch you must not have the CTL or EXP overridden under System|Pedal GK CTL or Master|Pedal GK CTL so the patch-level assigns can kick in. 
  -  This patch uses quite naked & brute force SAWs. 
  -  For some depth, when you hit the CTL, I fold in a COSM WAVE and another PCM wave.
  -  CTL also turns on the Super Filter.
  -  Since CTL turns on 2 more voices, I have an assign (#5) there that brings the volume of PCM1 down to try & keep the overall volume consistent.  Otherwise CTL would jack up the volume too much.
  -  EXP controls the BPM rate for the filter's LFO - whole or quarter note based on the tempo, to try & emulate that Skrillex LFO feel.
  -  This patch has a fixed tempo; in real usage you will probably want to control tempo via other means.

This is far from perfect, but serves to show you can emulate the sound and even start to treat it properly via the GR-55. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

imerkat

Here is my attempt at the talking bass; i have a different approach than others I've seen. Low E string is controlled with the Exp. Pedal. 5th & 4th strings have a subtle vowel with picking attack. the 3rd thru 1st strings are two types of synth leads that can be change with a CTL pedal. I'll try to upload a demo but not sure when i have time.

Neardark72

This is cool Man!

I have to try this today