GT-10B and Sub outs

Started by rowka, May 07, 2015, 09:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowka

Firstly, what does "SUB" mean in the Roland vernacular?  I allways just assumed it was a balanced D.I. mic level signal.  Why the term "SUB."

Second, I haven't found any info digging in the GT-10B floorboard editor or in the manual, can I assign different outputs to R and L Sub?  Or can I assign a particular signal path to a SUB only?

here's what I think I want to do:

Bass -> GK-3B - GR-55

GR-55 Guitar Out -> GT-10B Input-> GT-10B Signal Chain -> One of the Sub Outs (or the main mono out) -> Bass Amp

GR-55 Mono out -> GT-10B Return -> One of the Sub Outs -> Mixing Desk

I know I could bypass all of this with GR-55 Out -> D.I. Box -> Mixing Desk
But I like being able to cross-fade the PCM Tones and GT-10B signal chain with the GT's Exp Pedal.

Thoughts?  Or am I SOL on this idea.

Elantric

http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GT-10B_OM.pdf

Connecting Directly to a Recording Mixer or PA Mixer (XLR Balanced Output)
The GT-10B features balanced outputs that utilize SUB OUTPUT jacks (XLR connectors). Although direct boxes are generally
used to connect bass (effects processor) outputs to mixers in concert halls and recording studios, you can connect the GT-10B
directly to the mixer, which lets you avoid degradations in the sound quality, as well as any additional problems that might
occur as the result of connecting multiple devices.
• The SUB OUTPUT level cannot be adjusted with the OUTPUT LEVEL knob.
• The OUTPUT SELECT function (p. 26) affects sounds from the OUTPUT jacks. The output from the SUB OUTPUT jacks will always be equivalent to the
sound that is output when the LINE/PHONES setting is used.

rowka

Hmm, so Maybe I've got to think on this the other way.

GR-55 main goes into the bass input -> Direct Mono Sub R
and GR-55 Guitar goes into the S/R at the BEGINNING of the GT MFX signal chain.

supernicd

QuoteFirstly, what does "SUB" mean in the Roland vernacular?  I allways just assumed it was a balanced D.I. mic level signal.  Why the term "SUB."

sub: a prefix occurring originally in loanwords from Latin ( subject; subtract; subvert; subsidy); on this model, freely attached to elements of any origin and used with the meaning "under," "below," "beneath" ( subalpine; substratum), "slightly," "imperfectly," "nearly" ( subcolumnar; subtropical), "secondary," "subordinate" ( subcommittee; subplot).

I always assumed they chose that terminology because you'd eventually have a great idea for how you wanted to use it, and it would fall short of being able to do it. :)  Of course, I jest.  Seems like your second idea might work.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Elantric

IMHO - I wish all Roland / Boss processor had these important XLR "sub" Outputs  - these are employed typically to route stereo signals direct to PA

Luckily they are included on the VG-99!

supernicd

Quote from: Elantric on May 07, 2015, 10:54:59 AM
IMHO - I wish all Roland / Boss processor had these important XLR "sub" Outputs  - these are employed typically to route stereo signals direct to PA

Luckily they are included on the VG-99!

Agreed.  Roland (any many manufacturers) seem to be scaling back the physical I/O on their products, presumably to compete in a fiercely competitive marketplace.  But flexible I/O, and lots of it, is one of the key things I think makes a product stand the test of time.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

gumtown

The GT-10B has 2 modes of operation for the XLR Sub outs,
Mode 1) L/R Stereo out
Mode 2) L=Direct/Dry out R=Wet/Effect out (both mono).

Before the GR-55, I used a GT-10B and a GR-20, with the 'guitar out" into the GT-10B input, and the GR-20 L/Mono output into the GT-10S/R Loop return.
I used the GT-10B channel B (GR-20 synth tones) with the Loop Return at the front of the channel and any unused effects from channel A went there.

Thinking about that reminded me of a 25 patch noodle I did when I first setup the GT-10B/GR-20
http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=9524439&q=hi
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/