GT-10- Thoughts on the GT units

Started by Tape, May 01, 2015, 03:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tape

Seeing as some of you owned multiple GT models, I'd like to know your overall impressions on them. I've had a GT 10 for a year now, and while I'm fascinated by it's flexibility (every parameter being assignable etc.), I'm quite underwhelmed by the sound and the feel of it.

Elantric

Despite many haters, Roland COSM Amp Modeling improves with each new product release since 1995's GT-5 -
The products Roland/Boss sell in  2015 are MUCH improved compared to a 1998 GT-6 COSM Multi-FXI agree the 2008 GT10 was rather harsh sounding to my ears too.

The 2014 Boss GP-10 was my 1st exposure to a Roland/Boss product with fine responsive COSM Amp tone right out of the box, that holds its own against the higher priced Kempers

The GT100 with Firmware 2.0 is supposed to sound very good too. i recently acquired a GT100, but truthfully I currently get better sounding "tube amp tone" from the Boss GP-10. 

But I might think differenly after I have spent more quality time with the  GT100 w/ "2.03" firmware.

supernicd

I've owned quite a few GT models including the two mentioned.  I think the improvements in the GT-100 v2.0 are huge in terms of sound quality, play feel, and ease of use.  But you should try one out in a store if you can and see what you think.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

gumtown

The GT-10 is great for effects, just the amp models aren't too great, but can be dialled in using the EQ effect with the preamps.

Although the GT-10 has more and improved effects over the GT-8, the amp modelling was not seen as an upward progression, but more of a sideways step.

The GT-10 is still a seriously programmable beast of an effects unit and as a midi controller,
and does work very well paired up with an external preamp in the S/R loop.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Fluke

Quote from: Tape on May 01, 2015, 03:18:44 PM
Seeing as some of you owned multiple GT models, I'd like to know your overall impressions on them. I've had a GT 10 for a year now, and while I'm fascinated by it's flexibility (every parameter being assignable etc.), I'm quite underwhelmed by the sound and the feel of it.

Tape, have you tried patches from others such as Glenn Delaune?
When I first got my GT10 (coming from the GT5 and Vox Tonelab SE) I was underwhelmed with it, if it hadn't have been for a bit of perseverance, but more so discovering Glenn's (and others) patches, I would have sold it quickly.

The patches weren't 100% perfect for my use, but took very little adjusting before I found I was wearing a grin!
There's truth in people mentioning using the eq in the GT10, I think it's key to getting a good tone out of one.

I recently got a GP10GK, at first I wasn't sure it would totally replace my GT10, but when I got the GP10 dialed in the gap widened. I'm still a little surprised by how well the GT10 fared, given how good the GP10 is out of the box.
I guess there's life in the old dog yet :)

As with most mfx, programming them is an art in itself.