VG-99 -Deckard's Blues - Vangelis style synth pad and Lead *UPDATED WRONG PATCH*

Started by Smash, April 27, 2015, 01:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

Is it possible? Can a VG99 really sound like Vangellis? Read on...

This patch uses a lot of the ideas from my Escapism patch – COSM A provides the synth pad and COSM B the lead (and also Rhodes sound – more on that later).
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14640.msg105643#msg105643

The name of the patch should give a pretty clear indication of the inspiration for the patch!

The pad is GR300 tuned in a sort of drop D but a tone and a half down, the lead is an octave up from this without the drop D. the tuning was purely so I could use the true key of A but match Vangelis Blade Runner's Blues.

So again we use the freeze feature for the pad and again automation of individual string panning and levels give that bit of movement that makes it sound a bit more believable as a pad. But also this time we have an automated VCF sweep to give that classic analogue synth sound.

The lead on COSM B may sound like the GR300 but is the HRM engine wave model. I've used poly slow gear to match the original inspiration lead sound but you can turn it off using CTL2 on the FC300 for faster lines and you'll see I do that in the video.

CTL1 switches from lead to a type of Rhodes sound – I'll be honest I only programmed that because of the bit in the original track and I only used it once! Ridiculous!!! It switches the COSM model, turns off the FXB EQ and overdrive and poly slow gear, and kicks in a phaser.
EXP1 does the freezing of COSM A and controls the volumes of both A & B

EXP2 is the whammy pedal again which takes the lead into, quite literally, Dolphin territory!

I loosely follow the inspiration track to start with then go my own way – it's all busked tbh. You can literally see me thinking at some point, lol! Just wanted to get it down quick and dirty. And just for good measure Lenny the Bull Terrier decides to give the FC300 the once over near the end! Patch to be posted shortly...

FC300 controls

EXP1 volume swell for COSM A pad - freezes about halfway (EXP CTL1 lights to let you know when freeze has "grabbed" the chord) remaining travel swells COSM B lead

EXP2 Whammy

CTL1 - switch to Rhodes

CTL2 - Poly slow gear on and off - for faster lead lines

I run my string sens quite hot so you may have to crank a little to get the ebst out of this patch

Sorry - I had two versions of the patch on the go at one time and uploaded the wrong one. I've now swapped it. Don't think there were monumental changes but definitely some tweeks missing from the first one I posted

ForestCat

Wow.   Not only is this an amazing piece of programming, the execution in the video is brilliant. Way to play your patch!

I'm really surprised there aren't any comments here.  Seems like so many people have "moved on" from the VG-99.  Sad.

This sounds to be an enormously versatile/useful/tweakable patch.  Gonna grab it & play with it :-)

Kevin M

I've found myself using my GP-10 more and more, but the VG99 is still an amazing piece of gear.  Can't imagine 'moving' that far away from it. Smash's patch is over the top impressive.

Smash

Quote from: ForestCat on August 24, 2015, 03:21:48 PM
I'm really surprised there aren't any comments here.

My fault - I posted in the VG Recordings section first - there is still love for the VG as you'll see!

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14750.0

Try checking out this patch as well - similar principle of operation:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14640.msg108222#new

ForestCat

Smash, re: Escapism, see my comment from yesterday on youtube. (Neil)    I'm a fan :-)

I've got a TON of gear.  Spent literally years experimenting w/ different combos of different gadgets.  The GR-55, while an ENORMOUS amount of sound in a "one-box" solution, is utterly useless (for me) for performance w/o additional foot controls. Same for the GP-10.  The VG-99, for my money, is the richest combination of hex COSM/dsp I know of.  Since I have to have additional foot controllers for my brand of noise, it made sense for me to go w/ the VG-99 for my "Coffee House" kit, w/ a home-made arduino-based pedal board, and Lemur on a pair of iPhones.

I only mention that as the explanation as to why you're likely to see me commenting on some dead threads by you, AlienSporeBomb, et al, re: your truly amazing & gifted VG-99 programming.  I'm finally exploring the VG-99 in depth for the first time, so all these threads are "new" to me. :-) Wish I'd been active w/ this back in the Rupert days.  I'd been nursing a pipe dream that there was still enough general interest in instrumental prog/electronic to envision gigs where I'd have the time/space to set up/soundcheck a laptop/rack o' synths type of kit.  Not happenin' in good ole NJ  :)

Thus far, the VG-99 has proven to be rich, rich soil.  Major limitation is the barely mediocre MIDI conversion.  Most of the other limitiations ( i.e. no "global" tempo, etc) I've been able to overcome using Lemur, which is another love-hate relationship.  Liine could teach even Roland a thing or two re: "How To Quit the Race Six Inches Before the Finish Line", lol.

But none of it is keeping me from forging ahead & making some truly gratifying music.  Worst part?  The ever-moving target of venue sound reinforcement, and the 99% Stereo-free environments... lol.  I know you guys who don't "bring your own" can relate   :)

I thank all of you who have generously posted your work here.  If I ever get this pedalboard stable, I hope to have some stuff to post that may be of use to others trying to "roll their own".  Lemur's scripting is over the top.  Hello beat-synced wave pedal, etc.  Roll your own cc-based beat-synced LFO's for any parameter you can map.  Also works for sysex params that don't mute audio when changed.

Smash

Thanks for kind words  ;D

I'm pretty sure if it weren't for this forum and the vast knowledge base I'd have never been able to program the stuff I've managed to - standing on the shoulders of giants as the saying goes!

aliensporebomb

Just think of the 99 as the box boy of toys that never gets boring and there's no end to the sounds you can achieve.  When I first got it I had no idea it could do some of the things it does. 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Nobulusprime

Imported this yesterday but it freaks out on my VG it filters out to the destruction of both A & B channels  have I downloaded the wrong patch...? Is this because I'm not using the FC300?

As for the VG99 'Major limitation is the barely mediocre MIDI conversion.' I though the same, but after tweaking last night, I changed my mind. Still, my old GR1 is the best midi conversion I've had from Roland and I've tried everything, up to and including the GP10

Kevin M

Quote from: Nobulusprime on September 05, 2015, 11:09:56 AM
Imported this yesterday but it freaks out on my VG it filters out to the destruction of both A & B channels  have I downloaded the wrong patch...? Is this because I'm not using the FC300?

As for the VG99 'Major limitation is the barely mediocre MIDI conversion.' I though the same, but after tweaking last night, I changed my mind. Still, my old GR1 is the best midi conversion I've had from Roland and I've tried everything, up to and including the GP10

It may be because you're not using the FC300. Works fine for me with my FC300 attached.

aliensporebomb

You can do decent guitar-to-MIDI with the VG-99 but that almost deserves a whole different thread and a video and...
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Smash

Quote from: Nobulusprime on September 05, 2015, 11:09:56 AM

I programmed this patch specifically for the FC300 - you CANNOT use the patch without FC300, sorry.

Anatma

Just upgraded[?] To the vg-99 from the gr-55 about a month ago, and I'm still trying to figure out how you made this patch (so I can make similarly usable pads) great job!

arkieboy

That is splendid.

I've managed to coax the main-theme blade runner sound (not to mention the classic OB brass) out of my 99, but getting that whole performance out of it at once is really, really impressive.  As is the playing ...

Off to play now
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

Smash

Quote from: Anatma on July 20, 2017, 07:11:15 PM
Just upgraded[?] To the vg-99 from the gr-55 about a month ago, and I'm still trying to figure out how you made this patch (so I can make similarly usable pads) great job!

Use the PC Editor and look at the assigns page - that's the heart of this patch. that and the old trick of using distortion on the synth to fatten it (analogue square waves!)

You'll see there's lots of automation of panning and string levels (all largely guesswork - you just have to try it and see!)

arkieboy

The trick I hadn't thought of in this context is using the volume pedal with distinct modes for backing, hold-backing and lead.  I'm kicking myself because its a trick I already use to emulate a 'bad horsie' wah, with the first chunk of travel switching the effect on and off and the rest being the wah effect.  Could have been doing this months ago! ;-)

Excellent stuff
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

Smash

Antonuzzo

I've just downloaded this - holy hell, this is one bastard of a patch. Words fail me - and your playing in the video nails it totally (but what are the chords...?)

Really and truly, this is absolutely the business. Thanks!!

papabuss

<Scott - just notice that I didn't give you my applauds for this patch.
Here they are.  :)

Very nice assignments with the wave pedal to strings and in the mixer section!
Fantastic patch!
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)