VG-99 - Escapism - spacial ambient pad with crunch Strat lead

Started by Smash, April 21, 2015, 09:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

You MUST have FC300 to play this patch

The freeze function is one of the oldest tricks in the VG99 book.

It's probably one of the first things that gets used – holding a chord and soloing to oblivion over the top of it! Whilst I love doing that kind of thing I get a bit tired of the held chord being, well, frozen! Just entirely static – yes you can put choruses on it etc. but it's still very static.

Having messed around a bit I discovered that there are some parameters in the modelled instrument that are still "live" even when the freeze function is active.  For guitars although the tuning and 12 string FX are locked down you can still vary the level of each string and it's panning across the stereo spectrum. This do present interesting possibilities! I know its probably very old news for some of you but it was exciting for me!

For this patch I've stuck loads of wave pedal in the assigns each controlling the pan and level of the top 4 strings at different rates. This way the chord changes and moves subtlety even when frozen. I'm using a classic strat model as the pad.

Add copious amounts of chorus (2 different types) plus delay and verb then add additional automation by peaking the delay send every so often and varying the whole level of the chord up and down (EQ gain) so as to get subtle fluctuations and you end up with an ever changing pad with notes coming and going (really noticeable at the end of the demo on final chord when you've got your headphones on). Strings 5 & 6 are an octave down to provide bass and do not pan or level change.

Remember though, to retain panning integrity you have to use stereo fx modules all the way - so no amp models or many of the BOSS modelled pedals sadly as they're are mono and that's the end of your panning!

And all this is COSM A only leaving COSM B entirely free for lead duties – nice crunchy strat with stereo delay – volume controls on GK3 controls amp gain. Just to kitchen sink it the feed backer is switchable (1'17") AND theres a whammy pedal as well! (at the end)

FC300

EXP 1 – volume swell of pad and auto freeze past mid point, volume of lead sound ramps after mid point.

EXP2 – Whammy pedal (at end of demo)

CTL1 – feedback active

CTL2 – automated fade out of feed backer (you can't just turn it off coz it clicks audibly and is too abrupt – total PITA to program in assigns)

I've created a similar patch using the GR300 module as the pad - the GR300 surprinsingly has more features live when "frozen" including the Cut off Freq and Resonance - meaning you can get sweeping movement via automation when frozen.

Smash

Breno

Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS200, VG-99, GR-55, FC-300 e US-20.

aliensporebomb

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

papabuss

FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

Piing

That is very nice. Thank you for sharing the recording and the preset

jimmyj

One of my favorite patches on my VG-99. In fact all my favorite patches are from Smash. I wish there was one for the SY-1000.

Smash

Quote from: jimmyj on October 19, 2020, 08:36:19 AM
One of my favorite patches on my VG-99. In fact all my favorite patches are from Smash. I wish there was one for the SY-1000.

Thanks Jimmy - I can't think why you shouldn't be able to do it on SY1000 although I remember some discussion about the freeze function - not sure it operates the same