Atomic Amplifire

Started by Alec Lee, February 06, 2015, 07:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Quotewould take it over the Helix .   Its a keeper for sure!!  :D

I've played them both and I agree the Amp tones in Amplifire are much better and easier to dial in than shrill Helix. Helix seems capable of good Amp tones after applying third party IR Cabs . As the factory ones were not too pleasant to my ears.

nervoteso

Quote from: Elantric on March 18, 2015, 09:10:23 AM

* Boss GP-10

* Vox Tonelab SE/LE

://www.frugalguitarist.com/post/2012/03/16/Digitech-GSP1101-Beta-C63.aspx[/url]

totally agree with elantric aboutgp10 and tonelab, they're the only one pedalboards don't sound fake for me. i do have both. however i've to try this atom product. the problem is to find this in here italy

Elantric

Expanding Amplifire Switching
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/homebrew-solution-to-expanding-amplifire-switching.1685508/

---
I have been gigging with the Atomic Amplifire for a few months now and am loving the great sounds and compactness for the smaller gigs where big pedal boards and tube amps take up too much space. I have been using all three foot switches on the Amplifire in A/B mode to give me quick access to 6 core sounds and using outboard delay and mod fx in the loop (as I need to be able to switch these for each preset).

I really wanted to expand the preset access and use more of the internal fx so have come up with a home-brew midi switching solution that can be built into a small pedalboard as shown in the pics below.
[​IMG]
I used a cheap Arduino Nano board (£2 from china) and a few other components (about £20 in total - mostly for the footswitches) and wrote some simple software that I have put up on github:
https://github.com/boogiejem/amplifire-midi-controller.

So far I am pleased with the result as I now have access to 8 presets via the 4 A/B switches built into the board and for each preset am using the switches on the Amplifire for tap tempo and toggling fx and delay and this is pretty much what I need. I included midi control of the wah too but this is a bit 'steppy' (not sure if this is my software or the Amplifire but am working on it).

Anyway it's been a fun project and if anyone here is interested in having a go at this themselves I can provide more info.

https://github.com/FortySevenEffects/arduino_midi_library

Arduino MIDI Library v4.2
This library enables MIDI I/O communications on the Arduino serial ports. The purpose of this library is not to make a big synthesizer out of an Arduino board, the application remains yours. However, it will help you interfacing it with other MIDI devices.

Download the latest version here.

Features

Compatible with all Arduino boards (and clones with an AVR processor).
Simple and fast way to send and receive every kind of MIDI message (including all System messages, SysEx, Clock, etc..).
OMNI input reading (read all channels).
Software Thru, with message filtering.
Callbacks to handle input messages more easily.
Last received message is saved until a new one arrives.
Configurable: overridable template-based settings.
Create more than one MIDI port for mergers/splitters applications.
Use any serial port, hardware or software.

Elantric

Elantric

Panthersn

Michael Britt had some of the best profiles for Kemper....... Now looks like some awesome patches for amplifire!!!!

http://www.mbrittprofiles.com/amplifire-pack/index.html

ericar123

If I tried the VST Studio Devil plugin would I get a similar sound to the Amplifire?

Elantric

Compared to a PC running StudioDevil,  Atomic Amplifire will have lower latency than 90% of computers, due to using dedicated ADI SHARC DSP, and Amplifire has more FX,  - soon to be expanded after the next firmware drop 

and the Amplifire's analog instrument preamp is superior to most sound cards, so Amplifire will have lower noise, and more headroom without clipping compared to feeding a typical USB audio interface to a PC running StudioDevil

http://www.studiodevil.com/products/amp_modeler_pro/

thebrushwithin

From Michael Britt on the KPA forum:
I like Kemper the best no contest. But I got some decent tones out of the Amplifire and axe. The KPA is my fave but there is more than one way to skin a cat.

sixeight

Quote from: Elantric on May 12, 2016, 12:55:12 PM
and Amplifire has more FX,  - soon to be expanded after the next firmware drop

It does look like an excellent companion to the GP10,  especially when the effects are updated.  I smell GAS ;)

ratbastid

Got mine yesterday (found a bargain-priced used one at thegearpage).

Initial impressions: ENORMOUSLY powerful pedal. The presets don't really do it justice. Maybe one in ten is something I'd play. It does seem a little biased toward high-gain stuff, at least in the preset selection, though its amp and cab preloads are plenty capable of cleans and mid-gain blues kind of stuff.

The editor software has some quirks, but once you understand it, it's nice to work with. One gotcha: If you're editing a preset on the computer, and also twiddle values on the pedal, you have to manually "resync" the patch before the computer sees your changes. The PC editor's changes go onto the device in realtime (so you can have fast audio feedback to your visual edits), and I never saw any flakiness in connecting to the device from the computer like I'm used to with some other gear (lookin' at you, GR-55). And you can preview changes without committing them--it's easy and clear how to commit or throw away changes, seems unlikely you'd accidentally lose anything.

Last night I basically went through the onboard patches and a couple freebies, turning down the gain and making them playable for the blues and classic rock stuff I do. There are paid third party preset packs (MBritt in particular) that I'm eager to explore--my understanding is that there's a lot of low and mid gain stuff out there.

My plan, once I have some tones dialed in, is to experiment with playing the AmpliFire from the Guitar-Out of my GR-55. I can use COSM for guitar modeling, including alt tunings. Then I want to run the stereo out from the GR-55 into the aux-in of the AmpliFire for PCM tones, and from the AmpliFire to the board. I'll update you on how that works.

I'd like to propose that this thread be stickied, along with the other modeler-specific threads in this forum. With its minimal form factor and its pro-sumer price point, the AmpliFire hits a niche that nothing else in the market can do. I predict it's going to get huge.

ratbastid

To confirm my thoughts above: coming into the AF from the guitar-out of the GR-55 works GREAT.

I now have a series of patches set up on the GR-55 that go:

Dry Mags  COSM Steel       COSM Bass
    Strat        Strat Drop D      Strat Open E
    Tele         Tele Drop D       Tele Open E
    Les Paul   LP Drop D          LP Open E

So now I have one bank that is acoustic, bass, and raw guitar tone, and three banks that I can shift base COSM models across various tunings.

Coming out of mags or COSM into the AmpliFire sounds GREAT. Better than direct, actually, because I have the opportunity to fine-tune the tone in the 55 before it even hits the AF's pre-effects.

I have not tried going from the 55's stereo out to the AF's aux in, to pick up the PCM tones. Lack of TS cables held me back there (I've been 13-pin exclusive for a couple years now, and I actually couldn't find a second 1/4" patch cable in my house!).

First rehearsal with this setup is tonight.

admin

Elantric

ratbastid

I just stood up a crowd-sourced forum and documentation wiki for the AmpliFire. http://amplifireplayers.com

admin

sixeight

Elantric

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/22514239/

First impressions of the Amplifire:
Opened the box and ran the AF through 2 x Alto TS112A
A little underwhelmed at first - seemed a little brittle sounding
Bought the MBritt patches and downloaded the Singtall patches from the AF website (I had bought Singtall's 11R patches and they were very good - highly recommended)
The MBritt patches were excellent (clean & grit) and good (crunch & distortion) if not a little boxy and cold sounding (1 x 12 cab IR ??)
Singtall's patches were all excellent
Swapped Singtall's Warm Marshall Cabs into MBritt's Plexi, Marshall & Helios models - Whoa!! HUGE improvement: from good to excellent instantly. 'Warm' is the right description (I would also add 'big')
Sounded amazing through my Tascam Studio monitors and especially though the Altos (can't wait to crank them up at practice)
I realise now the difference IR's can make (certainly missing from my GT-100 & 11R)
I am very excited about the sounds I got today and the endless possibilities
I will do some more research on IR's. Currently thinking of buying Ownhammers Heavy Hitters Collection Volume 1. Redwirez looks good but pricey, however, I am sure they are worth it
No thoughts of returning the Amplifire now
I may run it using the Gt-100 as a controller (and backup) or the Boss FC50 with a couple of pedals and switches
I may even sell my Egnater Tweaker 88 twin stack and Orange Dual Terror + 2 x 12 Greenback cab. I would not have done this before as the GT100 was too cold through the Altos, but nice and 'warmed up' direct into the return of the Tweaker 88
BTW, I was just reflecting on my 'amp modelling journey': GT6 > Vox AD120 >Fender Cyber Twin (II) > Gt8 > GT10 > GT100 > Zoom G3 > 11Rack. I think the Amplifire smokes them by a long distance.
From what I have read, the AX8, Helix & Kemper are the next quantum move up from the Amplifire. Maybe next year - at the moment I am happy and can't wait to tweak cabs & amps and then move some air!\
Cheers
Paul

lbochs

I apologize if this has been answered.  I searched but didn't see anything.

I currently have the Helix and love it.  The issue is that it's hard for me to justify owning a piece of gear that expensive, knowing that I basically use variations of just a few of the amp models.

The one thing that I absolutely LOVE about the unit is that I can split my guitar signal through two different signal paths, and then assign different amp models panned hard left and right.  Apply a touch of delay to one channel, and I get an insanely thick tone (using two PA speakers to my left and right).

I've been reading lots of great reviews on the Amplifire, and I'm wondering if it might be a better fit for my needs.

That said, I'm curious to know if I could do the same signal splitting technique.

Does anyone know if that could be done on the Amplifire???

Thanks!
Lance

Elantric

QuoteThat said, I'm curious to know if I could do the same signal splitting technique.

AmpliFIRE supports  only a single amp model / cab at any given time

AmpliFIRE Owners Manual is here:

http://atomicamps.com/support/

http://atomicamps.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Atomic-AmpliFire-Manual-V1.0.pdf

imerkat

Quote from: lbochs on August 24, 2016, 08:00:39 AM
That said, I'm curious to know if I could do the same signal splitting technique.

Does anyone know if that could be done on the Amplifire???

I'm still holding out the possibilities of Dual amp models in the future. 

GeePeeAxe

If the dual-amp function is really so important, maybe a GT100 is a better choice?
Don't know if the sound quality and the "tube amp break up" is really so much better in the Amplifire...
Could somebody compare these multi-pedals directly?

Elantric

QuoteDon't know if the sound quality and the "tube amp break up" is really so much better in the Amplifire...
Could somebody compare these multi-pedals directly?
Atomic AmpliFIRE Amp models have more dynamic range compared to Roland / Boss  - and thanks to the IR Cab loading feature you can get into AXE-FX territory for sounds and feel 

Its superior to what can be accomplished with any of my Roland / Boss gear.

Folks on other forums have been crying for Roland/Boss to offer third party Cab IR loading tools on a Boss GT ( Line-6 has done this with Helix)  - but I think it will be a long wait

Elantric

Here's a Little Holiday Treat - New Firmware!

AmpliIFIRE v4.1.2 Public Beta is Now Available!!!

Featuring: SLOW GEAR, PER PRESET NOISE GATE, POWER ON PRESET OPTIONS, IMPROVED EDITOR EDIT PANEL LAYOUTS and more.

Please read the release notes before installing!
http://atomicamps.com/.../12/AmpliFIRE-4.1.2-Release-Notes.pdf

Windows Build:
http://atomicamps.com/.../.../12/AmplifireEditor_4_1_2_1_Win.zip

Mac Build:
http://atomicamps.com/.../.../12/AmplifireEditor_4_1_2_1_Mac.zip

Today at 4:09 PM