Roland UA-22 Duo Capture EX

Started by zenartist, December 30, 2014, 10:38:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenartist

I gave up waiting and got the Roland Duo-Capture EX and Im glad I did. It works well with a hub .. use my TriplePlay and iPad into the hub ..  get 2 channels of audio in and midi and it can run on batteries .. its smaller and better form factor than HD and works with my macBook also .. does every thing I want it to and more

Elantric

QuoteRoland Duo-Capture EX

More info on Roland Duo-Capture EX is here:

Survey of Working Audio Interfaces.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8291.msg85229#msg85229

If you want a decent iPad Audio / MIDI Interface that requires zero mods and runs on Battery Power

Consider this   
http://media.rolandus.com/manuals/DUO-CAPTURE_EX_OM.pdf

Roland Duo Capture EX
(not to be confused with the older / similar "Roland Duo Capture"
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1248/features/

DUO-CAPTURE EX: USB Audio Interface
Pro I/O for PC, Mac, and iPad

Housed in a compact, road-tough metal case, the new DUO-CAPTURE EX is perfect for both home recording and mobile production. The rugged USB audio interface is outfitted with a pair of VS Preamps, which feature the same professional components used in Roland's high-end digital mixers. Two combo XLR/TRS inputs are provided, including a Hi-Z input for connecting a guitar or bass directly. The three-way power supply offers the ultimate in operational convenience, allowing you to power the unit from the computer's USB bus, batteries, or an optional AC adapter. Powerful and flexible, the DUO-CAPTURE EX is compatible with Windows, Mac OS X, and iOS*.

Two VS Preamps with phantom-power support
Compatible with PC, Mac, and iPad*
Low-noise three-way power supply; runs on USB bus power, three AA-size batteries, or AC adapter
Road-tough, compact aluminum case
Hi-Z input for electric guitar or bass
MIDI input and output
Bundled with SONAR LE music-production software for Windows
*Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit is required for use with the iPad; must be powered by batteries or AC adapter when used with the iPad.

VS PREAMPS

DUO-CAPTURE EX boasts two premium-grade, digitally controlled mic preamps (VS Preamps) made from the same high-grade components as the preamps found in Roland's V-STUDIO 700 and M-400 digital mixer. Two XLR/TRS combo inputs are provided for the preamps, plus independent phantom power for each channel.

LOW-NOISE POWER SUPPLY

One of the DUO-CAPTURE EX's key "behind-the-scenes" features is its low-noise, wide-ranging power supply. Designed to deliver a clean, balanced input and output, it provides a reliable foundation for any professional audio application or environment. When powered by the computer's USB bus, the DUO-CAPTURE EX internally regenerates the incoming power, ensuring the ideal voltage for optimal sound quality and efficiency in mobile environments.

FOR HOME RECORDING

The DUO-CAPTURE EX is equipped with two XLR/TRS inputs (with phantom-power support for condenser microphones), plus a Hi-Z input switch for direct connection of an electric guitar or bass. The DUO-CAPTURE EX is compatible with all major computer platforms, including WDM/ASIO (Windows), Core Audio (Mac), and even iOS for the iPad.

FOR MOBILE MUSICIANS

Perfect for traveling musicians, the DUO-CAPTURE EX is compact and solidly housed in an aluminum case. It easily fits in a backpack, and weighs just one pound (440 grams). For the ultimate in mobile convenience, the DUO-CAPTURE EX can be powered via your computer's USB bus, three AA batteries, or an AC adapter (sold separately). Its premium preamps and low-noise design enable pro-quality results anywhere you record, indoors or out.

FOR IPAD

Turn your iPad into a professional recording device by connecting it to the DUO-CAPTURE EX*. Record vocals, guitar, keyboard, or other instruments with superb quality through the DUO-CAPTURE EX into the iPad using your favorite iOS apps. Additionally, the DUO-CAPTURE EX can function as a USB-MIDI interface to control iOS apps with electronic instruments such as MIDI keyboards, V-Drums, etc.

*Connect the DUO-CAPTURE EX to your iPad via Apple's iPad Camera Connection Kit. Batteries or AC power is required when using the DUO-CAPTURE EX with an iPad. You cannot charge your iPad using the DUO-CAPTURE EX.

GovernorSilver

krv4guitar

Hi all,
I am using the Roland UA 22 Duo Capture with PC and Ipad. It can be charged with the same adapter that comes with the GR 55 while using with Ipad. Works great.

gregjon

Got one too and I could not be happier.

Thanks for the info about using my GR-55 adapter with it !

Greg
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat with GK3 pickup.
Godin Freeway SA
Godin Multiac Nylon SA
Fishman Triple Play
GR-55
GR-20
SUGS Selector
RFX Midi Foot Control Pedal
Ipad Air, Apps: Bias, Jam Up Pro, Flying Haggis, Tone Stack, Audiobus, Garage Band,

Elantric

How to configure iPad to use 24 bit USB Audio / USB MIDI + TriplePlay on Battery power
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10323.0

http://auriaapp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12900

Roland Duo-Capture Ex UA-22. Simple AB mic preamp tests.
Postby BGR » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:09 am

Received a Roland Duo-Capture Ex UA-22 today. And I wanted to share my first AB tests of the preamps.
Three stereo track files in FLAC format.
No editing, effects or fades.
Exported from Auria to AudioShare. Opened in WiFi Disk. Transferred to a Mac OS X 10.8.5 system. Converted to FLAC with XLD. And uploaded to DropBox.

Feel free to download.

A few characteristics so you can skip the audio descriptions:
-The Roland Duo-Capture Ex UA-22 is battery powered with 3 rechargeable AA batteries.
-There is no powered USB hub between the UA-22 and the iPad 4. When the UA-22 is in TAB mode, you must use either batteries or a power supply. Also, when in TAB mode, the USB output from the UA-22 can be connected directly to the Camera Connection Kit Lightning to USB cable from the iPad 4. And also, when in TAB mode, the UA-22 is supposed to run only in 44.1kHz mode. An internet blogger and reviewer that specializes in video has said that it can also run in 48kHz mode; but I have not tested that yet.
-The gain knobs from the UA-22 have 12 markings above the minimum or 0%. Being the marking number 12 the maximum level or 100% of gain.
-And last but not least, the room is not treated. It is a normal small living room surrounded with furniture. Kind of quiet. But still not a perfect sound proof environment.

CAUTION: Use some nice headphones to listen. Just be aware that the audio files start out quite quiet and get louder towards the end.

1st File:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/on2fik0kow662w5/DuoCaptureEx-01-AKG_C3000_L-TBone_SC1100_R.flac?dl=0
-To test the noise floors of the interface and a pair of inexpensive large diaphragm condenser microphones. Split into mono tracks in your favourite DAW so you can hear and see the differences.
-Stereo track.
-Left side of track: AKG C3000. Large diaphragm condenser cardioid microphone. Switches set to flat frequency response and no padding.
-Right side of track: t.bone SC-1100. Multi-pattern large diaphragm condenser microphone. Switches set to cardioid mode; and to flat frequency response.
-Phantom powered.
-Placed between 25 and 30 cm away from the microphones.
-Microphones are set side by side as close as possible.
-Before minute 2:30 there is an audio description of the test. The actual test begins after the minute 2:30.

2nd File:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2sy3iaxssghxn7m/DuoCaptureEx-02-MID_SIDE-AKG_C3000_L-TBone_SC1100_R.flac?dl=0
-This is a Mid/Side exercise. Split into mono tracks in your favourite DAW so you can decode the Mid/Side stereo image.
-Stereo track.
-MID microphone on Left side: AKG C3000. Large diaphragm condenser cardioid microphone. Switches set to flat frequency response; and no padding.
-SIDE microphone on Right side: t.bone SC-1100. Multi-pattern large diaphragm condenser microphone. Switches set to figure of eight mode; and to flat frequency response.
-Phantom powered.
-Placed between 25 and 30 cm away from the microphones.
-Before minute 1:50 there is an audio description of the test. The actual test begins after the minute 1:50.

3rd File:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uvuhee7sp199b65/DuoCaptureEx-03-AKG_P5_L-Samson_Q2U_R.flac?dl=0
-To test the noise floors of the interface and a pair of inexpensive dynamic microphones. Split into mono tracks in your favourite DAW so you can hear and see the differences.
-Stereo track.
-Left side of track: AKG Live Perception P5. Dynamic microphone.
-Right side of track: Samson Q2U. Hybrid dynamic and USB microphone. In XLR mode.
-Placed roughly 10 cm away from the microphones.
-Before minute 1:23 there is an audio description of the test. The actual test begins after the minute 1:23.

EDIT:
The Roland Duo-Capture Ex UA-22 provides true 24bit samples. I verified the files with Goldwave following the steps that user fgplayerx proposed.

EDIT:
Some features I found out about while testing the Roland Duo-Capture Ex UA-22:
-In TAB mode, because you have to power it with three AA batteries or the optional power supply, you can connect it to a computer or a laptop without drawing power from the USB port. Using it like this, you have no other option but to record in 24bit,44.1kHz. But for those who use a laptop to record, this feature can help you prolong the laptops battery life.
-In TAB mode, you can use it as a standalone preamp, mixer or monitor. The monitor switch on the back gives you the option to monitor in mono, stereo or no monitoring at all. Just connect what ever you need to amplify and start using it without a computer or iOS device.
-And, also in TAB mode and using Harmonic Dog Multitrack DAW Ipad App , you can choose all the combinations of bit depths and sample rates available in Multitrack DAW. 16 or 24bit. 44.1, 48, 88.2 or 96kHz. Providing true 16 or 24bit samples. Below is a dropbox link with a zip file the original audio files I recorded for this test. And I already verified the bit depths with the Goldwave method that user fgplayerx proposes.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vew2e8crizxegzz/20150303-DuoCaptureEx-MTD-bits-rates-tests.zip?dl=0