GR-55 Amp model test

Started by Jim Williams, May 01, 2014, 12:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Williams

I recently wanted to compare my GR-55 Amp models dynamic and response to that of a real tube amp. I was quite surprised and excited that the amp models were very close to the response of my Marshall. so I made a patch to test it out. I used the MS high gain amp with structure 2 with the MOD and the MFX paned left and right so my delay and reverb sound much richer and used my guitars normal pickups. Used the normal pickups to get a more realistic feel of the guitars volume knob in relation to the dynamics and response of the amp models. I used the GR-55 USB connection to record strait into Reaper. There is no mix down or mastering just the natural sound of the GR-55. Take a listen and tell me what you think.

By the way I am just noodling around to demonstrate the Dynamic feel and sound.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

gumtown

Thanks for sharing  :)
The Marshall 60Hz power supply hum is missing  ;D
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

vtgearhead

Having owned a 50W Marshall head "back in the day", I violently agree with you.  Roland has done a bang-up job of modeling.  It responds to the guitar volume setting in a predictable and smooth manner.  Dial back for crunchy rhythm, up to 11 for reedy overdrive and sustain. 

Jim Williams

Here is a little noodling with the 5150 model and all guitars are the same patch. This time I used modeled guitars with pretty much the same result. It is sometimes hard to control the GK volume but you get used to it. I also use the S1 and S2 switches to change pickups. with my rig I use a Rocktron MidiMate to change patches on the bottom row and the top row are midi on/off switches ad it has an expression pedal in combination with The GR-55 control switch/pedal there is a lot you can do in each patch. I also have a Filter buffer for my piezzo guitars and my talk box in the loop for use with normal pickups. I also can plug in my non GK guitars. Its a killer live setup through my JC-120 and my recorded sound is almost exactly what comes out of the JC120.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.