Anyone using a Proteus 2000 with VG-99?

Started by Hog Mouth, April 08, 2014, 09:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog Mouth

I have the VG-99 connected to the Proteus by 5-Pin MIDI and to the FC-300 with the ethernet cable.
Semi satisfied with the results I'm getting tracking wise.
GK Sensitivity is in the low 40's
Play Feel is set to Feel4 (with Strum setting I don't get any output on the high e unless I play hard)
Chromatic Type 2 (So I can hammer on, Type 3 mis-triggers too much) Bend Thin On

What would be the recommended way to use this live?

Currently I use the VG-99 with the FC-300 in CC mode and switch patches mid song using the direct Patch buttons on the VG otherwise I use the wheel.

Is it possible to control volume/Patch change of the Proteus using the FC-300 in CC mode?

Also I haven't figured out how to change volumes for each patch on the Proteus. If I change the Vol000 parameter on the Proteus it stays that volume for all patches of that particular channel. For example, if I have a piano at 0000 and switch to a string patch on 0001 the strings are much louder. I would have to adjust the volume using the master volume knob or change the Vol parameter which would be hard to do live. Any suggestions?

musicman65

I'm have the same setup. There are too many particular settings in the VG99 G2M section for me to remember my exact setup but I think your settings are pretty good. They vary depending on the player and guitar anyways.

One of the known issues with the VG99 is that it transmits a 100 value (0-127 range) on patch change to the connected midi device. We have no control over this behavior. I have learned to live with it by adjusting the patch volume (called "gain" I think) to boost or cut the synth sounds as needed so they sound right at 100. That being said, my VG99 and P2K patches are created per song so when I recall the patch, my VG99 and P2K tones are exactly as I set them and blend well.

One tip I think helps is to create a P2K patch called "NO SOUND" and set the G2M to switch to it on VG99 only patches. I use MONO mode for almost everything and set all 6 strings to transmit MSB/LSB to control what sounds the P2K outputs. This includes the NO SOUND sounds, if that makes sense.

I do have several banks of VG99 patches that call up some staple sounds like Tenor Sax, Grouchy Sax, Horn/Brass Section, etc. My VG99 guitar/amp model for each staple tone is set to my standard fav tone, which in my case is a highly tweaked 1959 Plexi with Mag pickups enabled and Telecaster as my GK modeled guitar if needed.

Trying to use a strategy where I can have any VG99 patch and any P2K patch selected separately by footswitch was abandoned early on in favor of having paired patches. This allows me to stay in SYSEX mode and tap one button to change both tones together. Songs with different parts use separate patches located within the same bank for quick access on the FC300.

Another tip is to create your standard fav tone as a patch in the VG99 with G2M settings and the NI SOUND patch on the P2K. Use this as your template and copy it to new patch locations then change the MSB/LSB as needed for the P2K desired tone and save it for that song. It pretty easy and quick. I actually have 5 fav patches I do this with. If course the VG modelling can be tweaked after copying as well.

Hog Mouth

Thank you! This helped a lot! For now I am using SysEx mode to change patches on the P2K and then stepping on the bank selectors simultaneously to switch to CC mode for Stomp boxes. I have the GK Vol set to control the P2K Volume because I can use an expression pedal to control guitar volume and I'm only using Poly mode for now.

QuoteI have learned to live with it by adjusting the patch volume (called "gain" I think) to boost or cut the synth sounds as needed so they sound right at 100.

I'm having trouble finding this on the P2K. I'm still editing using the front panel as I don't have a MIDI interface to run to the computer yet to use a program editor. I'll read the manual some more. Thanks again for the support!