A tribute to John Lennon

Started by papabuss, December 06, 2013, 12:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papabuss

On Dec 8th is the 33th anniversary of John Lennon's death.
I've just 'walked through' the VG and GR patches area and noticed that we have only a very few of Lennon's or Beatles' patches.
I think/hope I have a patch for John's IMAGINE and so I will post it in the GR55 section this Sunday.
If you also have patches for Lennon's songs post it (if possible) this Sunday, too
THX.  :)

FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

Elantric

Might use Google

and search on  "Beatles VGuitarforums"

Many good ones that John Lennon  participated in are here:

Beatles orchestral patches
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6950.0

The Beatle's patches, by Joe Linstrum (except the piano, which was an edited version of "Ultimate Piano" by Jim Williams, which, in my humble opinion, is the best I've heard). Most of these patches require finger-picking (actually, they all do), as some sounds are only applied to certain strings.

The mp3's were all performed live, because I will be using these patches in a live setting, and I really wanted to see (and demonstrate) if it could be done. It will take a lot of practice and experimentation to pull this off, but I believe it can be done. They were all done in one take, and not done perfectly, but done well in enough that in context with a band, you could really pull off some great Beatle sounds that will have people thinking "how did they do that??".

Patches included cover songs like:
All You Need Is Love
Hey Jude (plus horn section for the end)
Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds (intro and chorus)
Mother Nature's Sun
Sgt. Pepper
Strawberry Fields Forever (intro and horn/cello sections)
When I'm 64 (clarinet)

papabuss

Absolutely agreed.
But I also thought of songs like these...
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/top-10-john-lennon-songs/

I'm sure THESE could really have been HIS Top 10...  ;)

Elantric

GR-55 patch created to model the string sounds that were recorded into the Mellowtron and used by John Lennon on "I am the Walrus"
Wall of Strings
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4409.msg29901#msg29901

Suggestions creating a patch  for "Come Together"
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=795.msg3692#msg3692

Patch below is for  VG-99, but employ the Patch Cloning Strategy should yield a GR-55 version
Julia
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=174.msg617#msg617

Patch Cloning
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4087.0

Elantric

Personally i love all versions of this 1970 album (John's and Yoko's)

Its not commercial top 40  - but early 70's Plastic Ono era with "I found Out" has more angst and emotional power ( and Truth) IMHO.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lennon/Plastic_Ono_Band
Rolling Stone magazine ranked it fourth on "The 100 Best Albums of the Last Twenty Years".

Elantric

QuoteI think/hope I have a patch for John's IMAGINE and so I will post it in the GR55 section this Sunday.

If you can create a GR-55 Piano patch that matches to sound of  John's IMAGINE - that would be a wonderful christmas present  many here will use.

Id settle for Neil Youngs version

papabuss

I think I've got one. ;)
Will post it in the GR55 section on Sunday.

Elantric

Might as well share one of MY all time favorite John Lennon videos

This is actually an earlier demo version with Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick and Tony Levin (King Crimson, Peter Gabriel)   - with amazing cartoon work based on Lennon's original sketches and drawings

Trivia  - Yoko preferred a nicer orchestrated version, but John preferred the Cheap Trick version - so a compromise was made, and in my own conversations with Earl Slick, I was told he had to recreate some of the demo guitar feel / vibe for the final  released version most know on the "Double Fantasy" album. 

More details

http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/kats-report/2009/sep/13/nielsen-original/

As Nielsen remembers it, before Cheap Trick achieved worldwide fame in the 1970s, they first needed to record an actual album and were seeking a rock culture giant to bring the release credibility. "We wanted John Lennon. This was in 1976, and he hadn't done anything in so long." But the rising artists got nowhere with that request, and the acclaimed first album was produced by Jack Douglas, a longtime studio master whose work over the years has included classic recordings by Aerosmith, Miles Davis, Alice Cooper and even Lennon, on his comeback album, "Double Fantasy."As Lennon hung out in his home at the Dakota in New York, famously tending to his new son, Sean, and making bread, Cheap Trick vaulted to worldwide fame with the stunning success of the triple-platinum "Cheap Trick at Budokan." When Lennon dusted off his Rickenbacker and exhumed his legendary songwriting skills, he recruited Douglas to work on "Double Fantasy." Recording commenced in the summer of 1980 in New York, and soon Douglas told Nielsen the sessions were "too studio musician-ish." Lennon wanted some real, rough-around-the-edges rockers, and Nielsen was thrilled at the chance to record with a true rock legend. Problem was, his wife, Teresa, was about to give birth to their son, Daxx. "We were actually on tour, in Toronto, going to Japan the next day, when we heard about this, and the day of the session was the due date for Daxx. I asked (Teresa) about it, and she said, 'C'mon, he's your hero, you have to do it.' So on Aug. 12, we had a baby boy, and I was in Montreal. I smuggled a bunch of Cuban cigars out of Canada and flew into New York, showed up at The Hit Factory. After about an hour of setting up, in walks John Lennon."

After the clumsy introduction, Nielsen realized Lennon was a big Cheap Trick fan and started showing him some of his old tools. "He was playing this old Veleno guitar with dirty strings. He opened this case with an old Rickenbacker in it, and the set list from the Shea Stadium concert was scotch-taped to the back." Lennon showed him a truly rare instrument, the Mellotron he played on "Strawberry Fields Forever" for soundscapes on "The White Album." Nielsen was privy to conversation between Lennon and Ono as they planned arrangements for "I'm Moving On." "She was asking him, 'Should I do it fast or slow?' He says, 'Do it however you (bleeping) want, Mother!"

"I'm Losing You" was knocked out in two takes but did not fit with the slicker material throughout the rest of the album and was left off the final printing of "Double Fantasy." "It never fit with the continuity of the rest of the album. It's like a lounge band, then this grungy song ("I'm Moving On" with Nielsen and Carlos also was left off). It was sort of embarrassing when people heard we were going to play on the album, then we weren't on the album." But the version surfaced on "John Lennon's Anthology" in 1998, and Cheap Trick recorded a video to accompany the song several years ago.

At the end of the session, Nielsen passed around his ill-gotten Cubans. Lennon joked with Carlos, "Hey, Bun E., I'll see you at the hop," and also told the Cheap Trick drummer, "I wish (Rick) had played on 'Cold Turkey.' Eric choked on that." The "Eric" is Eric Clapton.

"The whole time, it was just guy-to-guy, musician-to-musician," Nielsen said. "Funny, I never got anything signed by him or anything like that."

Nielsen and Carlos did mention to Lennon the idea of him recording "Cheap Trick" years earlier. "We tell John this, and he says, 'I would love to have done that.' We wanted to kill our manager, of course. It was one of those what-if, never-happened things."

a Youtube Playlist of many John Lennon tracks

Elantric

This is old Roland GR-09

Video of Ecca's band performing "In my life"
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5120.msg35447#msg35447

and

Lucy in the sky with Diamonds

papabuss

Quote from: Elantric on December 06, 2013, 01:14:03 PM
If you can create a GR-55 Piano patch that matches to sound of  John's IMAGINE - that would be a wonderful christmas present  many here will use.

Id settle for Neil Youngs version

I've posted the patch and a short sounddemo here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10057.0

Toby Krebs

Quote from: Elantric on December 06, 2013, 01:27:32 PM
Might as well share one of MY all time favorite John Lennon videos

This is actually an earlier demo version with Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick and Tony Levin (King Crimson, Peter Gabriel)   - with amazing cartoon work based on Lennon's original sketches and drawings

Trivia  - Yoko preferred a nicer orchestrated version, but John preferred the Cheap Trick version - so a compromise was made, and in my own conversations with Earl Slick, I was told he had to recreate some of the demo guitar feel / vibe for the final  released version most know on the "Double Fantasy" album. 

More details

http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/kats-report/2009/sep/13/nielsen-original/

As Nielsen remembers it, before Cheap Trick achieved worldwide fame in the 1970s, they first needed to record an actual album and were seeking a rock culture giant to bring the release credibility. "We wanted John Lennon. This was in 1976, and he hadn't done anything in so long." But the rising artists got nowhere with that request, and the acclaimed first album was produced by Jack Douglas, a longtime studio master whose work over the years has included classic recordings by Aerosmith, Miles Davis, Alice Cooper and even Lennon, on his comeback album, "Double Fantasy."As Lennon hung out in his home at the Dakota in New York, famously tending to his new son, Sean, and making bread, Cheap Trick vaulted to worldwide fame with the stunning success of the triple-platinum "Cheap Trick at Budokan." When Lennon dusted off his Rickenbacker and exhumed his legendary songwriting skills, he recruited Douglas to work on "Double Fantasy." Recording commenced in the summer of 1980 in New York, and soon Douglas told Nielsen the sessions were "too studio musician-ish." Lennon wanted some real, rough-around-the-edges rockers, and Nielsen was thrilled at the chance to record with a true rock legend. Problem was, his wife, Teresa, was about to give birth to their son, Daxx. "We were actually on tour, in Toronto, going to Japan the next day, when we heard about this, and the day of the session was the due date for Daxx. I asked (Teresa) about it, and she said, 'C'mon, he's your hero, you have to do it.' So on Aug. 12, we had a baby boy, and I was in Montreal. I smuggled a bunch of Cuban cigars out of Canada and flew into New York, showed up at The Hit Factory. After about an hour of setting up, in walks John Lennon."

After the clumsy introduction, Nielsen realized Lennon was a big Cheap Trick fan and started showing him some of his old tools. "He was playing this old Veleno guitar with dirty strings. He opened this case with an old Rickenbacker in it, and the set list from the Shea Stadium concert was scotch-taped to the back." Lennon showed him a truly rare instrument, the Mellotron he played on "Strawberry Fields Forever" for soundscapes on "The White Album." Nielsen was privy to conversation between Lennon and Ono as they planned arrangements for "I'm Moving On." "She was asking him, 'Should I do it fast or slow?' He says, 'Do it however you (bleeping) want, Mother!"

"I'm Losing You" was knocked out in two takes but did not fit with the slicker material throughout the rest of the album and was left off the final printing of "Double Fantasy." "It never fit with the continuity of the rest of the album. It's like a lounge band, then this grungy song ("I'm Moving On" with Nielsen and Carlos also was left off). It was sort of embarrassing when people heard we were going to play on the album, then we weren't on the album." But the version surfaced on "John Lennon's Anthology" in 1998, and Cheap Trick recorded a video to accompany the song several years ago.

At the end of the session, Nielsen passed around his ill-gotten Cubans. Lennon joked with Carlos, "Hey, Bun E., I'll see you at the hop," and also told the Cheap Trick drummer, "I wish (Rick) had played on 'Cold Turkey.' Eric choked on that." The "Eric" is Eric Clapton.

"The whole time, it was just guy-to-guy, musician-to-musician," Nielsen said. "Funny, I never got anything signed by him or anything like that."

Nielsen and Carlos did mention to Lennon the idea of him recording "Cheap Trick" years earlier. "We tell John this, and he says, 'I would love to have done that.' We wanted to kill our manager, of course. It was one of those what-if, never-happened things."

a Youtube Playlist of many John Lennon tracks

Great Story! Mr. Clapton made more than a  few entire records of "choke" much as I love him LOL! My favorite story is one about him(Lennon) not ever giving the record company his best tunes. He would only give them demos of what he thought were his weakest songs LOL!!

tekrytor

THANK YOU TOBY!!LOVE the videos, especially I'm Losing You.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Elantric

Bill Frisell plays John Lennon - La Villete Jazz Festival 2012

1. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
2. #9 Dream
3. Come Together
4. Julia
5. Please Please Me
6. In My Life
7. Strawberry Fields Forever
8. Imagine
Bill Frisell - guitar, Greg Liezs - pedal-steel guitar, Tonny Scherr - bass, Kenny Wollesen - drums

maxdaddy

I watched the Frisell set today and really enjoyed it. He mostly gives the first half of the set to the steel player (who is a wonderful player) to do most of the showcasing, but in the second half of the set we get to hear some real nice Strat playing. It's refreshing to see a soloist of that caliber stand down so his stage-mates can shine and impress.

Elantric

Elantric

Lucky me - I will be seeing Bill Frisell perform a tribute to John Lennon live in a small 50 seat venue on May 15

https://www.facebook.com/events/593920977343910/?ref=22

===
Bill Frisell plays John Lennon - La Villete Jazz Festival 2012

1. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
2. #9 Dream
3. Come Together
4. Julia
5. Please Please Me
6. In My Life
7. Strawberry Fields Forever
8. Imagine
Bill Frisell - guitar, Greg Liezs - pedal-steel guitar, Tonny Scherr - bass, Kenny Wollesen - drums

admin

Vade

Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

Elantric

about a week away from Dec 8th is the 37th anniversary of John Lennon's death.

admin

admin