Positive Grid BIAS Amp Designer (IOS)

Started by BackDAWman, November 14, 2013, 08:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BackDAWman

I have Jamup Pro but I find that once I take an amp in Bias over to Jamup it loses something. The effects are mono in Jamup and that is disappointing as well.

The quality is sufficient for live work but I'm finding it difficult to integrate into my band rig. ie GR-55, Voicelive GTX (which I'd like to replace with my VL3), Zoom G3 and EHX Iron Lung.

Elantric

http://www.musicappblog.com/bias-update-4/

BIAS update – and huge reductions on BIAS and JamUp Pro
January 19, 2015 by John
Given the powerful combination that Positive Grid's BIAS guitar amp designer and JamUp Pro guitar amp/cab/effects modeller provide, it is hardly surprising that they have become a combination of choice for lots of iOS musicians with a guitar habit. Oh, and the fact that these iOS music apps happen to sound excellent might also help.... :-)
I've also reviewed some of the expansion packs that both apps offer as IAPs (here and here) and, if you are an absolute guitar tone nut, acquiring these sorts of additional 'virtual' kit can become a bit of a habit.
BIAS; working within Audiobus under iOS8.
BIAS; working within Audiobus under iOS8.
Positive Grid have released a minor update today to BIAS for both the iPad and iPhone versions. Version 1.5.9 includes a number of minor tweaks, the main one being fixes to the Tone Stacks control mapping and within the 'Save As' menu functions; both welcome for a somewhat smoother ride.
However, while technical updates are always welcome for existing owners, perhaps the more interesting news is for potential owners. Both BIAS and JamUp Pro are currently 75% off their normal price; both are currently on offer for just UK£3.99. This represents a brilliant deal.
On top of this, there are various IAP expansion packs that are available at 50% of their usual price; if you want to expand your collection of virtual gear then this is also a good time for doing that.
All of these apps are good value at full price; at 75% off they are a complete no-brainer. Both BIAS and JamUp Pro come highly recommended.
BIAS  – Amps! – for iPad

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bias-guitar-amp-designer-modeler/id807996795?mt=8

NAMM Show Special. JAMUP, BIAS 75% OFF ($19.99->$4.99).

CaptainTuna

I haven't bought BIAS amp and BIAS fx yet. For me, a simple amp and compressor combination would be great. I have seen several screenshots of BIAS amp and I have noticed that the transformer section has a few knobs to tweak compression (including attack and release). I was wondering whether these would suffice or if I would be better of with a tube compressor from BIAS fx. What do you think?

marcwormjim

Bump.

As of the 15th, models on the tonecloud made with IRs on PC can be used on iOS. This is a huge upgrade in quality that I fear may have been too little, too late. As someone who's had a few bugged-out IR models he's been waiting to use, though, this has me feeling a little better about investing in PG.

Elantric

mbenigni

Has anyone heard word of an iOS Bias Amps update schedule?  The Positive Grid apps are the only ones that still (i.e. post iOS 9) give me trouble when I try to run audio to/from USB.  I want to use Bias Amps as an insert loop in my Helix over the USB cable, but it sounds consistently terrible, like a sampling rate mismatch or buffer overrun type of problem.  Every other amp sim I own works fine in this same configuration, but of course Bias Amps is the one I want to use.  Is Bias Amps just that much more CPU intensive (essentially, no longer compatible with 1st gen iPad Air) or is P.G. asleep at the wheel here?

Elantric

Quote(essentially, no longer compatible with 1st gen iPad Air) or is P.G. asleep at the wheel here?

Its a bit of both.

I Know we praised the iPad AIR when it was new , but today its just another 3 year old iPad and becoming a dog as  latest generations of iPads are much faster, and newer versions of IOS become more of a resource pig.

And Positive Grid is too busy on other tasks  - focused on Desktop Plugins and their Hardware Amp 
Ive moved to Yonac Tonestack myself (lower latency, better workflow, Stereo FX, IAA Host, built in Song learning tools, etc)

mbenigni

Quote from: Elantric on June 28, 2016, 07:24:23 AM
Its a bit of both.

I Know we praised the iPad AIR when it was new , but today its just another 3 year old iPad and becoming a dog as  latest generations of IOS become more of a resource pig.

And Positive Grid is too busy on other tasks  - focused on Desktop Plugins and their Hardware Amp 
Ive moved to Yonac Tonestack myself

Strange that Bias Amps will behave well with certain interfaces, and with audio going out to the 1/8" headphone jack, but it chokes with full-duplex over USB.

And it's a shame that I can't run it - it would be the perfect complement to the Helix, many of whose amp models are questionable to me at the moment, but which provides a great platform otherwise.  Bias Amps seems like it would be more streamlined in absence of all of the effects, recording tools, etc. I don't need, and I'd really like to leverage all of the preamp/ poweramp/ tonestack/ transformer tweaks it offers.  (Theoretically, should be doable with an iPhone 6 velcro'd to the back of the Helix, and how elegant would that be?)

So close yet so far.  Same as it ever was.  :/ 

Guess I go back to holding out for the real solution: a firmware fix from Line 6.

Elantric

Or put a gently used  Atomic Amplifire in a FX loop on the Helix , and use the Amplifire's superior Amp /Cab Tones

Strange that Bias Amps will behave well with certain interfaces, and with audio going out to the 1/8" headphone jack, but it chokes with full-duplex over USB

The Helix as USB Audio Interface remains "iffy" and not pop & click free on any platform.
the Line-6 guys are a friendly bunch , but IMHO there are better engineered products from their competition

My Fender Slide does a superior job as IOS Audio Interface

mbenigni

Yes, that would definitely work - but it's considerably more expense and bulk.  (More expense in light of the fact that my iOS devices are already paid for, at any rate.)

I would just about kill for a Kemper stompbox with nothing but the amp/cab block in it.  No effects, etc. - just a kipr loader, basically.

whippinpost91850

Quote from: mbenigni on June 28, 2016, 08:26:15 AM
Yes, that would definitely work - but it's considerably more expense and bulk.  (More expense in light of the fact that my iOS devices are already paid for, at any rate.)

I would just about kill for a Kemper stompbox with nothing but the amp/cab block in it.  No effects, etc. - just a kipr loader, basically.
That would be very ,very cool, But I would not hold my breath :'(

mbenigni

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on June 28, 2016, 09:14:33 AM
That would be very ,very cool, But I would not hold my breath :'(

Agreed, it'll never happen.  Just dreamin'.  :)

admin

admin