Thinkplay Visual Triggering Software

Started by jho38, September 15, 2013, 02:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jho38

thinkplay: a new software that allows musicians to trigger audio and video samples in real time from their instruments:

Some pretty groundbreaking stuff... (its a bunch of Cornell University Students)

www.facebook.com/thinkplayaudio

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9501.msg68355#msg68355

admin

www.thinkplayaudio.com

Think - Play - Listen
Audio Trigger  - Drag, slice, and drop sounds, samples, loops, and beats from any program.
Video Trigger  - Edit and crop video clips, and trigger from notes in real time. Create visual music.
Design an ePedal - House your creations on custom ePedals. Build it, brand it, make it yours.
Perform  - Trigger your sounds and video clips in real time.
Share & Sell  - Upload and download ePedals all from one marketplace.

https://www.youtube.com/user/thinkplayaudio/feed

gumtown

seems sort of a bit like the Roland V-Link system.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

shawnb

From the FTP facebook page:

QuoteHey Everybody! My name is Jesse, I am part of a team of Cornell University students who developed a new software designed to work with the tp called thinkplay. The software allows you to map audio/video samples to notes on your instrument for real time triggering. You can trade/sell your mappings as customized 'ePedals'. We are in beta testing and hope to launch the software by fall. Please check out our page and contact me if you are interested in being an early adopter!

http://www.thinkplayaudio.com/
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

admin

FWIW, for those who read; Roland V-Link is similar to  Thinkplay,  and valuable for performance artists, while being the token misunderstood button on VG99 and GR55.

What is V-Link ?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=37.msg65#msg65

http://www.audiovisualizers.com/toolshak/vjprgpix/softmain.htm

Headless68

Looks interesting for live performance as you can mix video and images triggered by the triple play in a very similar interface (you can Also assign loops and samples as one offs on certain notes) - all this can be packaged as used as a song file for example - check the vids here
thinkplayaudio.com

Note Mac only beta right now but windows version will be coming later

Phil

jho38

If any TriplePlay owners are interested in thinkplay, it can be downloaded for free at www.thinkplaystore.com/shop/

thinkplay also offers the TriplePlay for sale, and offers $50.00 back for every referral that leads to a sale.

Elantric

Khen is sampling live on his guitar with the new thinkplay software. thinkplay allows you to drag and drop audio and video samples to notes on your instrument for real time triggering. Take your performance to the next level.

Check it: thinkplay software lets Andrew trigger audio and video samples live from his guitar in real time. Like us on Facebook to see what we're up to and find out when you can snag a version of thinkplay to take your sound and performances to the next level. Apply to be a part of the closed Beta launch at thinkplayaudio.com // think it, play it.

jho38

BackDAWman

I've been playing with the Beta a little. It's heaps of fun. When I get it sorted I want to add this to my solo show. 8)

Headless68

Does it add much overhead to computer? (Any noticeable affect to FTP performance?)

BackDAWman

On my Macbook Pro it runs quite well. It responds quickly to the FTP. No noticeable lag. There has been a couple of updates that I am yet to try if I could only get some spare time...

MusicOverGear

Not interested in the video stuff, but is there anything new going on with their sampler? Anything I couldn't do in Ableton or Kontakt?

Without actually digging into the software, my impression is that the whole thing is based on an iTunes type business model more than any specific musical utility. Looks like they want people to make fair-use multimedia soundboards, sell them to each other, and pay a percentage to their store.

Is there anything worth looking at there for me as a musician? Is there any new capability/usability over existing samplers/DJing tools?

jho38

Hey MusicOverGear:

My name is Jesse, I am one of the Co-Founder of thinkplay and I wanted to answer your comment:

I have seen you make posts comparing the functionality of thinkplay to Ableton/Kontakt and you are not wrong that many features can work in Ableton. However, most of the guitarists I know and speak too struggle to grasp Ableton and find the learning curve to be very very steep. Although on a forum like this many guitarists are experts in these programs, the majority of guitarists out there are not. Our goal was to build a software that is very easy/intuitive so that any guitarist can begin performing electronic/computer music and perhaps that will inspire many to learn more. I just wanted to clarify our intentions and mission: we are focused on those who spend more time with the instrument instead of computer production.

Ableton terrifies a lot of instrumentalists. However, thinkplay is helping guitarists get more comfortable with the idea of mixing instruments with computers.

We are doing this through the paradigm of the ePedal. Through the ePedal, even a musician with 0 computer/electronic music production experience can experiment, perform, and create with this medium by downloading the creations of others. As well, up and coming musicians/producers can brand and promote their creations. Overtime, we plan to build out our platform to allow plug-ins, etc. However, we are starting with the simplicity of 'dragging and dropping samples' and sharing ePedals. The actual audio-processing quality of thinkplay is very high, so a professional/semi-professional can find utility in the platform as well. Because the thinkplay learning curve is so small, we have had professionals and amateurs do amazing things with our technology which they would not have done otherwise. I do hope you can appreciate this.

If you know anybody who might want to try this, perhaps you can send a recommendation our way? Computer Music is the future and we don't want any fellow guitarists to get left behind!! I also really appreciate your response and interest. I would love to get your feedback on the program so we can continue to improve it. If you speak to our beta testers, you will know that we try and reach out to them constantly to get feedback. We update the software constantly based on that feedback. I would love for you to give the software a try. Anyways, just wanted to reach out and introduce myself and our product mission.

On a side note: I also think you would have a ton of fun with the video triggering..

Sincerely,
Jesse Orshan
thinkplay CEO/Co-Founder
jesse@thinkplayaudio.com

MusicOverGear

Quote from: jho38 on October 20, 2014, 08:48:59 AMComputer Music is the future and we don't want any fellow guitarists to get left behind!!

Man you said it. I feel like computer music was the future in 1995 and guitar in general missed the boat real bad. At some point in the last few years I realized that a lot of the work I get is because people want a classic/throwback element LOL. I'm like a clarinet player in the 1950's.

I think I grok what you are doing from your description. I'm all for anything that gets more people moving forward with musical creativity. I keep forgetting that most people don't like to dig into tools but you are absolutely right. I don't know how many keyboard players I know have bought 2 or more successive newer model Tritons and Motifs without ever digging into the old ones - just play the presets and buy a new board with new presets - so crazy.

I guess for the non-tinkerer ePedal makes perfect sense.

Good luck with Thinkplay!

BTW I see you guys are at Cornell. Is there any cool old Moog stuff at your school you guys get to mess with?

jho38

Quote from: MusicOverGear on October 20, 2014, 09:49:07 AM
BTW I see you guys are at Cornell. Is there any cool old Moog stuff at your school you guys get to mess with?

Yes! One of my mentors is Professor Trevor Pinch who wrote 'Analog Days' (the biography on Robert Moog). I got to check out the Moog exhibit and play with a lot of old synthesizers. I also studied Moog at Cornell as an influence for getting thinkplay off the ground.

MusicOverGear

Midicity

Do you have to use a gk3 or triple play or is it triggered by a normal guitar pickup with 1/4 cable? What other hardware is needed to trigger via guitar? Can you trigger it via keyboard or Roland v drums?

jho38

Quote from: Midicity on February 12, 2015, 11:46:01 PM
Do you have to use a gk3 or triple play or is it triggered by a normal guitar pickup with 1/4 cable? What other hardware is needed to trigger via guitar? Can you trigger it via keyboard or Roland v drums?

Hey Midicity:

In order to use thinkplay with a guitar, you must have a Fishman TP. The TP can be purchased on our website at www.thinkplaystore.com/shop/. We have awesome additions and opportunities when you purchase the TP through us. For more info on that, feel free to email me at jesse@thinkplayaudio.com. The software also supports most MIDI controllers. Therefore, you could theoretically use V Drums with the keyboard interface. There is a keyboard interface that should work with your Midi keyboard. If you utilize the software, I'd love to get your feedback so please feel free to email me!

Regards,
Jesse
thinkplay CEO

alexmcginness

Quote from: jho38 on October 20, 2014, 08:48:59 AM
Hey MusicOverGear:

most of the guitarists I know and speak too struggle to grasp Ableton and find the learning curve to be very very steep.

Ableton terrifies a lot of instrumentalists. However, thinkplay is helping guitarists get more comfortable with the idea of mixing instruments with computers.

I hear you there. I come from a traditional studio backgroind, you know multitrack reel to reel,  hardware mixer outboard fx. I got into Cubase because it was the closest replica of that type of setup in the virtual realm. Abletons interface is so foreign to that traditional setup in concept that I found it totally useless and impossible to understand on any level. I found it to be an alien interface from hell. Ive tried it several times and the only thing I could ever get it to do was load up a pre recorded project and hit play. It is literally impossible for me to get it to do anything else.

Quote from: jho38 on October 20, 2014, 08:48:59 AM
Hey MusicOverGear:Overtime, we plan to build out our platform to allow plug-ins, etc. However, we are starting with the simplicity of 'dragging and dropping samples' and sharing ePedals. The actual audio-processing quality of thinkplay is very high, so a professional/semi-professional can find utility in the platform as well. Because the thinkplay learning curve is so small, we have had professionals and amateurs do amazing things with our technology which they would not have done otherwise. I do hope you can appreciate this.

Great, Im always appreciative of a small learning curve. Hope its PC as well as Mac. It would be nice to trigger this with pre programmed sequences if you need to.  This looks promising. Keep up the great work.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Elantric

QuoteIn order to use thinkplay with a guitar, you must have a Fishman TP.

I dont see anything specific about the Fishman that makes that the only  Guitar to MIDI system that works with Thinkplay.
I would think any Guitar to MIDI system would work with ThinkPlay Software
http://www.thinkplayaudio.com/

Since Thinkplay is now over a year old, a download link to the Thinkplay Visual Triggering Software Owners Manual PDF is long overdue  ?

and there appears to be zero traffic at their Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/thinkplayAudio/

BackDAWman

QuoteSince Thinkplay is now over a year old, a download link to the Thinkplay Visual Triggering Software Owners Manual PDF is long overdue  ?

+1

I found slicing up video and placing it on the fretboard difficult to the point of giving up. I would say it is driver error but a manual could possibly rectify that.

Elantric

Closest i can find to to a Thinkplay Owners Manual is here

http://evanwknight.com/thinkplay.html

the Thinkplay Business model doc - not too informative on actual operation of the product  - mostly stats on expected profits from selling FTP's & EPedals   
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1VNonmHIxCCdLvyAZxAJMk1JvlDgVkUAD5rucTJLi0eg/edit#slide=id.g4d2f6deec_085

https://www.facebook.com/thinkplayAudio

and there appears to be zero traffic at their Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/thinkplayAudio/